Can I Ask A Favour From Auran Please?

sterrett

Remember the Withered Arm
Since Trainz was first launched, I have been beavering away, off and on, on an extensive route covering the "Withered Arm" former Southern railway lines in Devon and Cornwall in the UK.

The route is now being tested by a couple of good guys, but some of the content is built-in from TRS2006 and before - and, of course, to get this working, I just copied the ,ja files from TRS2006, renamed them, and stuck them in the appropriate TC3 folders.

The old Built-In Content that I am aware of that the route needs is:

1 Track Wood - <kuid-1.15)
2 Track Wood - <-kuid:-1.13228>

1 Track Wood Damp - <kuid:-1.100673>
2 Track Wood Damp - <kuid:-1.101179>

Is there any possibility, please, that you would upload these files to the DLS so that, when the route is made available to everybody, there won't be vast undriveable areas?

Thank you in anticipation!

Ian

If it's only track, would it be simpler to use TrainzMap to replace the offending tracks with some from the DLS? obviously this might cause more issues with bridges & tunnels, but it may be the easiest bet.

Paul

If it's only track, would it be simpler to use TrainzMap to replace the offending tracks with some from the DLS? obviously this might cause more issues with bridges & tunnels, but it may be the easiest bet.

Paul

The issue is we don't yet know exactly which assets will be available with TRS2009 yet and until we do the uncertainty creates problems.

Cheerio John

Most of the indications so far are that TRS09 will included pretty much everything from all previous versions (including the French and German regional versions). I believe a decision has not yet been reached on TC3 content. I can't remember where I read all this, but I think it was posted by Auran staff on this forum (or possibly the Dev forum).

So for '09 the missing track might not be an issue. Running in TC3 with only DLS content would be an issue, though, hence suggesting changing the track. Unfortunately this would also mean changing bridges and tunnels that use this track as well. Obviously if Auran can upload these to the DLS it would be much simpler...

Paul

The problem is worse than I thought. When the guys who are testing have loaded my route into *.cdp, it throws up a long list of missing dependencies - all of which are built-in content from previous versions.

Missingassets.jpg

I didn't realise Trainz Map could replace track - I've been doing it all laboriously!

Whilst the route might be good, its going to be a nightmare for anyone to get all the assets for it.

I doubt TS2009 will include all content from 06 and classics, as that will just make the digital download to big.

When classics was first released, we tried to upload all the 06 content, but the DLS would not allow built-in content and the fix was not easy, though the DLS is on the list of things to be fixed once 09 is out and finalised.

To be honest, I think you need to decide which game you wish to make the layout for and load the layout into that game without the other built-in assets and manually replace those assets.

Its the only sure way of getting a working completed layout done.
Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but i really don't see any other solution.

As one of the people trying to get Sterret's route working, I have been reasonably successful, with 20 unknown assets not on the DLS. This is a lot better than many routes I have tried to download.

As an owner of 06 and TC3, I have been porting my favourite layouts into TC3 using the guide on the TC3 website. The only ones I couldn't transfer where those that used the locked content by Blue_Sky_Interactive. I got round this by importing the .ja's into TC3, but I accept this isn't for everyone and definitely not supported by Auran.

So is the solution to avoid the use of "Blue_Sky_Interactive" assets (kuid:151900) in layouts? Sterret's layout uses 12 of them. This way at least 06 and TC3 owners can get the best of both worlds, without having to mess around with .ja files.

Cheers
SP

Whilst the route might be good, its going to be a nightmare for anyone to get all the assets for it.

I doubt TS2009 will include all content from 06 and classics, as that will just make the digital download to big.

When classics was first released, we tried to upload all the 06 content, but the DLS would not allow built-in content and the fix was not easy, though the DLS is on the list of things to be fixed once 09 is out and finalised.

To be honest, I think you need to decide which game you wish to make the layout for and load the layout into that game without the other built-in assets and manually replace those assets.

So basically you're saying that the 50 odd wagons I made that use a vacuum pipe from TC3 built in content are orphaned.

Thank you for letting me know I've been wasting my time.

Cheerio John

Hello

Looks like I'll be Transferring the 06 TC1, 2 and 3 ja files again over to 09.:)

Regards

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
TC3 content imports ok into the TS2009 beta, John.

So you definately have not wasted your time mate.

Keep up the excellent work. :)

Mike.

But if TRS2009 only includes the same TC3 content as the beta then you need to purchase TC3 and copy over the two Pikkabird vacuum pipes 2512:60 and 2512:61 which are not included in the TRS2009 beta in order not to have missing dependencies and no vacuum pipes.

Cheerio John

Going on from this does this mean creating anything that uses TRS2009 built in content might also be a waste of time since TRS200X may not include it?

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that for Trainz staying with TRS2004 and its limitations might not be a bad idea.

Cheerio John

........staying with TRS2004 and its limitations might not be a bad idea.
I am wishing that I had stayed with TS2004, at least as far as building the route was concerned.

Alan Yeomans - I appreciate your help and, you're right, it's not really what I wanted to hear! I have worked on my route since before TRS2004 was launched and always assumed that, because Auran makes the promise of "Backwards Compatibility" that I could uprate it to each new version of Trainz accordingly.

It is extremely disappointing to find that something that has taken 5 years to put together that I was looking forward to sharing might now be consigned to the scrap heap............unless my testers can find a way around it of course.

(Another way would be to release the TRS2006 .ja files as downloads, but the TC3 owners would have to faff around renaming the ja files and pasting
them into different locations of theit TC3 directory, which would not be for the faint hearted.)

Or another possible suggestion, Alan. How about, once my testers have it working okay, if I send you a CD of the route? Please would you be prepared to look at the route and see if there's any way of making it okay for straight import into TC3 (or even earlier versions if possible)?

I was kind of hoping the route would be available as a sort of Christmas present to the TC3 community - I recognise you're coming up to your busiest time of the year (I hope), but your help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi Auran-Helpdesk,

what is to big for Auran for Digital Download?
I have a 6 MBit Cable-TV connection to the Internet.
With 0,07 MBit I would take Digital Download too - The PC runs then some days 24 hours but all is better as local versions yet. Waiting for SPs for example.

I have preorder TS2009 as Digital Download, 4480 MB is ok for a DVD Single Layer (DVD 5). More is ok too.
The user can choose: Digital Download or DVD.
But please make the DVD not better as the Digital Download.

The versions are always the same. They are also about 2.6GB as they are designed to fit on a standard sized DVD.

I was sure I'd seen something about the included content that suggested that TS09 would have most if not all legacy content, and although I couldn't find what I read before, I did find this Post from Tony:

Australia has more content than most countries due to a greater following here than elsewhere (per capita). There are 13,000 items in TS2009:WBE, but just not a great deal of new content. That is one of the main reasons it is called "World Builder Edition" and not just TS2009. This enables us to get a stable and feature rich version into everyone's hands far sooner than if we were to wait for thousands of new items to be created. For loads of new content you'll have to wait for Engineers Edition.

Tony

As my TRS06 has 7733 built-in items (which includes everything from versions prior to TRS06), it suggests that a considerable amount of additional content is included. From what I've read this was to at least include that from the French And German TRS07, and presumably at least some from Classics. In any case, this means 5267 more assets than TRS06.

And John, in the case of Pikka's brake hoses and other 3rd party items, there is no reason why these can't be uploaded to the DLS, so long as they are not for a version prior to TC3. I'm pretty sure that that's the line PaulHobbs took with updated versions of previously built-in assets.

It would be nice to get a definitive answer to this before Sterrett tears his hair out...

Paul

I'm sure I must be missing something here...

TS2009 includes almost everything from v1.3, UTC, Paintshed, TRS2004, TRS2006 and TC1 (so Alan was nearly right when he said all TC content is not included). In other words it doesn't include TC2 & 3 content but pretty much everything else. Content that was on the DLS is still on the DLS and is imported into TS2009 the same way it was in other versions.

Therefore, a route built in 2004 should import fairly simply into 2009.

This is the bit that has me puzzled most:
to get this working, I just copied the ,ja files from TRS2006, renamed them, and stuck them in the appropriate TC3 folders.
Copying .ja files isn't going to work and are yout trying to get your route to run in TC3 or TS2009? TC3 was not designed to be anywhere near as backwards compatible as TS2009.

If you'd like to explain your problem a little more I'm sure we'll find a solution.

Tony

The issue is we don't yet know exactly which assets will be available with TRS2009 yet and until we do the uncertainty creates problems.

Cheerio John

Yes you do - the assets that are in the TS2009 Beta are the World Builder Assets. Updates to these will be released via the DLS where possible. Additional new content will be released in TEE.

Back