calling vinnybarb...

Engioc

Hi vinnybarb, I gather your around on these forums somewhere as I've seen posts by you. Got a few questions regarding the content you've made for Trainz.

Firstly I recently updated to TS2009+2010 and I'm in Adelaide so wanting to cover all the passenger trains Ghan, Indian Pacific, Overland, and local SAR passenger service trains (Trans Adelaide). I had TS2004 and 2006 and had been using the Ghan and Indian Pacific assets you created, but now trying to use them in TS2010 and they are coming up as faulty. I see them listed in the railyard but when clicking on them nothing appears.

So I guess my first question is are you updating these to work in TS2010?

If not then what are the chances of myself (or someone else) getting permission to update them?? (I'm a complete noob when it comes to editing or creating content, I wouldn't even know where to begin with things like config files, textures, gmax etc)

I looked up some previous posts from you and you were talking about updating all these trains, plus the SAR2001, and Overland, but I gather that was for TRS2006. I cant find any Overland stuff from you on the DLS. Did you ever get this completed and if so where can I find it?

Any plans to do the locos+carriages for all the Steam Ranger? Maybe the Pichi Richi?

I'm not really much of a train buff so I dont know what exact model of train any of these are, I'm just a gamer who also enjoys playing with trainz and trying to reproduce a modern day Adelaide and eventually hope to cover as much of SA as possible. Although I realise Steam Ranger and the Pichi Richi aren't exactly modern day they do still play a part as tourist trains so I'd still like to include them.

Last edited:
Hi vinnybarb, I gather your around on these forums somewhere as I've seen posts by you. Got a few questions regarding the content you've made for Trainz.

Firstly I recently updated to TS2009+2010 and I'm in Adelaide so wanting to cover all the passenger trains Ghan, Indian Pacific, Overland, and local SAR passenger service trains (Trans Adelaide). I had TS2004 and 2006 and had been using the Ghan and Indian Pacific assets you created, but now trying to use them in TS2010 and they are coming up as faulty. I see them listed in the railyard but when clicking on them nothing appears.

So I guess my first question is are you updating these to work in TS2010?

If not then what are the chances of myself (or someone else) getting permission to update them?? (I'm a complete noob when it comes to editing or creating content, I wouldn't even know where to begin with things like config files, textures, gmax etc)

I looked up some previous posts from you and you were talking about updating all these trains, plus the SAR2001, and Overland, but I gather that was for TRS2006. I cant find any Overland stuff from you on the DLS. Did you ever get this completed and if so where can I find it?

Any plans to do the locos+carriages for all the Steam Ranger? Maybe the Pichi Richi?

I'm not really much of a train buff so I dont know what exact model of train any of these are, I'm just a gamer who also enjoys playing with trainz and trying to reproduce a modern day Adelaide and eventually hope to cover as much of SA as possible. Although I realise Steam Ranger and the Pichi Richi aren't exactly modern day they do still play a part as tourist trains so I'd still like to include them.

Yo... reading you loud and clear :wave:.

As these above assets were made for TRS04 and also worked in TRS06, that was good enough at that time these assets were made. Since then, the bars for creating new assets had been raised very high and some ways of creating and working had been changed too by AURAN/N3V. Which I guess does not help you with these items.

Anyway, my plans for these items are to upgrading these WHEN and IF I have the time to do so, upgrading these with automatic opening doors, passengers enabled, with interior, scripting, normal mapping with extra specular etc. BUT like anything else in life one needs the time to do this.

As I am creating locomotives at the moment (check my signature pic for the CLP/CLF Class I am creating presently) and as these are very detailed and labour intensive to create, somewhat around 6 months or more just for one version, longer if in different liveries, you can see how long this will take to create.

Just take my new (not the ones I did several years ago) Oz AN Class locomotives I created for TS09/10 and I recently uploaded to the DLS but with a build number of 2.4 so these will work from TRS04 onwards, this took me well over 12 months to create. This is as well with brand new bogies too, all with 4 LODs, scripting, 2 drivers etc. I made 5 different versions (liveries) of the AN Class locomotive, now to be found under TRS04 only but which I guess I have to convert for a build number of 2.9 or 3 so others can see this too on the DLS.

http://www.vinnybarb.com/anclass1.htm

Overland carriages I will continue with once I travel to Adelaide (300km away) to take pictures of the Overland logo (these have to be good ones) as the ones I can get from the Internet are crap. Unless someone can send me some pictures of these so I can use these on the Overland carriages.

Similar with the 2000, 2100, 3000, 3100 Classes, possibly the old SuperChooks and Red Hens too of the Adelaide Metropolitan trains. I already arranged with the Adelaide Yard Manager to take some pictures closeup in the Adelaide yard, especial of their bogies and other finer details of these Classes.

But since I am a ONE person team only, I have to do the 3D meshes, the textures etc. all by myself, my choice and I am not complaining here as I love to do these. But this takes time and as I have a life outside of Trainz, I need to attend to this too :p.

At the moment, I discovered playing Dragon Ages Origin which I had bought since this game had been released over a year ago but never looked at since then. So, at this moment in time I am hacking and slashing my way with my party of associates through dungeons, underground, through wilderness, towns etc. to save mankind from impending doom. This is off and on playing while still working on my current project, the CLP/CLF Classes in some 5 different liveries, all with new bogies too, 4 LODs, 2 drivers, scripting for driver, light and bogey light changes etc. I have the CLP Class seen below already finished in the Genesee/Wyoming scheme except their bogies, which I am currently working on. After that will be the AR, AN, QR, Commonwealth RW etc. liveries and I believe there are some Pacific National ones floating about too.

Also, if I would make all the assets requested by others for me to create, I would need some 20 years or more to do these. I am presently 70 years young, grumpy sometimes but still diligently, painstakingly and usually every day working on some aspects of my current project(s).

If that takes time, so be it, as I WILL NOT release my creations UNLESS I am happy with these creations. Ohhh.... btw, there are still the SAR Bluebirds:

http://www.vinnybarb.com/screens.htm

which I created sooooo long ago for TRS04 but since these are crappy looking now for TS0-9/10, I will still have to upgrade these too :p.

Re the errors you get of the carriages, these can be fixed. One of the errors will be of no dependencies (bogies) as I uploaded these carriages and the bogies at the same time and the bogies got knocked back. Hence the original bogey kuid number in the configuration is not current but is easy to change in the config.txt to any of the different coloured coach bogies I made (these are on the DLS for TRS04 and are all for these coaches). Other errors you might get are textures errors. Easy to be fixed with PEV's excellent tool (image something or other converter?), the proper name escapes me at the moment but when you look at PEV's tools web site it is easy to pick. Once that is done, you should not get any errors with these coaches.

So, this is where I am in this point in time, I hope that will answer some questions. See, I am NOT getting cranky like some other content creators when pressed for answers :p.

Pitchi Ritchi? This is operating in my neck of the woods BUT where do I find the time to create all these assets? The other Steam Ranger, I guess you mean the Goolwa Cockle train, the same applies?

*Edit: I forgot, a few days ago I was in Adelaide for the day only for business (had no time for anything else), on the way out of Adelaide I went past the EDI Downer yard at Dry Creek on the Pt.Wakefield Road and lo and behold they had THIS ALMOST BRAND SPANKING NEW locomotive standing there. Although I was pressed for time, I had to drive in and after asking for permission I took some couple of 100 pictures of THIS LOCOMOTIVE. Which one it is, well you have to find out when I will finish it (possibly next) :p?

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Last edited:
Yo... reading you loud and clear :wave:.

Hi again vinnybarb, thanks for the reply mate.

Anyway, my plans for these items are to upgrading these WHEN and IF I have the time to do so, upgrading these with automatic opening doors, passengers enabled, with interior, scripting, normal mapping with extra specular etc. BUT like anything else in life one needs the time to do this.

As I am creating locomotives at the moment (check my signature pic for the CLP/CLF Class I am creating presently) and as these are very detailed and labour intensive to create, somewhat around 6 months or more just for one version, longer if in different liveries, you can see how long this will take to create.

Just take my new (not the ones I did several years ago) Oz AN Class locomotives I created for TS09/10 and I recently uploaded to the DLS but with a build number of 2.4 so these will work from TRS04 onwards, this took me well over 12 months to create. This is as well with brand new bogies too, all with 4 LODs, scripting, 2 drivers etc. I made 5 different versions (liveries) of the AN Class locomotive, now to be found under TRS04 only but which I guess I have to convert for a build number of 2.9 or 3 so others can see this too on the DLS.

http://www.vinnybarb.com/anclass1.htm
Yeah sure no problem I appreciate your working on other content and also the amount of time that must go in to these creations so yeah totally understand.

Overland carriages I will continue with once I travel to Adelaide (300km away) to take pictures of the Overland logo (these have to be good ones) as the ones I can get from the Internet are crap. Unless someone can send me some pictures of these so I can use these on the Overland carriages.

Similar with the 2000, 2100, 3000, 3100 Classes, possibly the old SuperChooks and Red Hens too of the Adelaide Metropolitan trains. I already arranged with the Adelaide Yard Manager to take some pictures closeup in the Adelaide yard, especial of their bogies and other finer details of these Classes.
Well for the Overland from the pictures I've seen on the net it doesn't actually look that different to the Indian Pacific or Ghan in terms of the loco or indeed the carriages for it, but I do realise there are some differences and sure your looking at them a lot more closely than me. I am located in Adelaide so if there was some way I could be of assistance then let me know (I live at Glenelg so its no big deal going to Keswick from here), I only have a small 35mm 4.0MP camera so depends on what level of quality you need I guess.

With the SAR stuff well I already have a 3000 class and from the outside its fine but I find the inside is totally wrong and is from a completely different loco, its not even close. Also the engine seems way too powerful, obviously I've not driven the real thing but it does seem wrong when I try driving them. The 2000, 2100 I dont care for so much since they not used as often now days and my route is meant to be modern day and so perhaps in the not so distant future even the 3000 may be replaced since they're now looking to electric (finally). As for the Redhen, well I already have those and they work fine apart from no animations for passengers getting on or off, doors opening etc, and the double cab doesn't really work right either since it can really only be driven one way from inside the cab. I think some of the Redhens I have were Auran and some other people, I have both single and double cabs, plus just a passenger carriage. I suspect there is meant to be a passenger/mail too but not sure I got that one.

But since I am a ONE person team only, I have to do the 3D meshes, the textures etc. all by myself, my choice and I am not complaining here as I love to do these. But this takes time and as I have a life outside of Trainz, I need to attend to this too :p.
I wish I could help out or simply produce these myself because I think I'd really enjoy it but so far found it quite hard getting started, finding the right info, tutorials etc.

At the moment, I discovered playing Dragon Ages Origin which I had bought since this game had been released over a year ago but never looked at since then. So, at this moment in time I am hacking and slashing my way with my party of associates through dungeons, underground, through wilderness, towns etc. to save mankind from impending doom. This is off and on playing while still working on my current project, the CLP/CLF Classes in some 5 different liveries, all with new bogies too, 4 LODs, 2 drivers, scripting for driver, light and bogey light changes etc. I have the CLP Class seen below already finished in the Genesee/Wyoming scheme except their bogies, which I am currently working on. After that will be the AR, AN, QR, Commonwealth RW etc. liveries and I believe there are some Pacific National ones floating about too.
I've not played any of the more modern RPGs myself but have fond memories of hacking and slashing through the likes of Might and Magic, Ultima and few other old RPGs, so far not been motivated enough to pick and play the more modern ones. I did actually buy the Elder Scrolls series but I never seem to be motivated enough to really play for more than 10 minutes before I get bored and move on to something else. Did get Baulders Gate (I forget how they spelled it) but I couldn't stand it myself, just not my idea of a good RPG.

Also, if I would make all the assets requested by others for me to create, I would need some 20 years or more to do these. I am presently 70 years young, grumpy sometimes but still diligently, painstakingly and usually every day working on some aspects of my current project(s).

If that takes time, so be it, as I WILL NOT release my creations UNLESS I am happy with these creations. Ohhh.... btw, there are still the SAR Bluebirds:

http://www.vinnybarb.com/screens.htm

which I created sooooo long ago for TRS04 but since these are crappy looking now for TS0-9/10, I will still have to upgrade these too :p.
Yeah sure again understand these things take time and your attention to detail and perfection is why I do like the content you've created in the past, hence I'd love to get it working in TS09/10.

Re the errors you get of the carriages, these can be fixed. One of the errors will be of no dependencies (bogies) as I uploaded these carriages and the bogies at the same time and the bogies got knocked back. Hence the original bogey kuid number in the configuration is not current but is easy to change in the config.txt to any of the different coloured coach bogies I made (these are on the DLS for TRS04 and are all for these coaches). Other errors you might get are textures errors. Easy to be fixed with PEV's excellent tool (image something or other converter?), the proper name escapes me at the moment but when you look at PEV's tools web site it is easy to pick. Once that is done, you should not get any errors with these coaches.
Well sure I can give it a try fixing them but I did download some bogies made by you for those but I think CMP showed faults on those too so I guess I need to work out what the problem was with those.

I guess that was one of the main reasons for my post, not simply a request for "can you please make it for me" but is it ok for me to go in and fix them because I do pay attention to copyright and so on and in fact have no desire to start messing about with other peoples hard work so I wanted to check it was ok with you first.

I guess one other reason I do like your content is I also see what you've created as something I'd like to one day be able to produce myself and specifically for the Indian Pacific, Ghan, SAR etc. So I see your content as perhaps a way to learn myself. Oh and I really do mean learn, not simply copy. So I guess want to know how you feel about that, I dont want to get my ass sued over a game.

So, this is where I am in this point in time, I hope that will answer some questions. See, I am NOT getting cranky like some other content creators when pressed for answers :p.
Its ok I work with a couple of grumpy old men at HP every day and I get along with them ok too :).

I had to do this in two posts, why, because it gives me some stupid error saying I've entered 10497 characters and I can only have 10000, which is just dumb. So Auran force me to double post.

Waiting 30 seconds.....(I hate forums)

Pitchi Ritchi? This is operating in my neck of the woods BUT where do I find the time to create all these assets? The other Steam Ranger, I guess you mean the Goolwa Cockle train, the same applies?
Yes I did mean the Goolwa Cockle train but also meaning the other locos they have, I believe they have some other steam locos too, just going by their website. My understanding was they have an old Redhen which is the Cockle train, plus a number of steam locos. Anyway I could be wrong and one day I really do need to go take a ride and do the entire trip they offer, but I never seem to get enough time away from work.

*Edit: I forgot, a few days ago I was in Adelaide for the day only for business (had no time for anything else), on the way out of Adelaide I went past the EDI Downer yard at Dry Creek on the Pt.Wakefield Road and lo and behold they had THIS ALMOST BRAND SPANKING NEW locomotive standing there. Although I was pressed for time, I had to drive in and after asking for permission I took some couple of 100 pictures of THIS LOCOMOTIVE. Which one it is, well you have to find out when I will finish it (possibly next) :p?

Cheers

VinnyBarb
Interesting story and I do need to go check out some of this stuff myself, I did once ride on the Pichi Richi but was much younger at the time so I need a refresher.

Didn't mean to sound like any of this was urgent anyway, as I said I'm not really a train buff, just a gamer really. I'm in to trainz atm because its TS2010 is my latest purchase and I do want to learn and one day complete my own Adelaide route complete with trains to go on it. Once the next game comes out though I'll probably drop trainz for a bit, Assassins Creed BH will be my next purchase and quite soon I think but judging by the last installment it only took me 3 days to finish, Ubi are good and taking a great idea and dumbing it down till I cant stand it anymore. I wont go any further with that though, when it comes to the modern generation of gaming/development I'm a bit of a grumpy old man myself, remember the good old days of developers who cared a little more about the product.

Anyway thanks for your time again, appreciate it.

Waiting 30 seconds.....(I hate forums)

Yes I did mean the Goolwa Cockle train but also meaning the other locos they have, I believe they have some other steam locos too, just going by their website. My understanding was they have an old Redhen which is the Cockle train, plus a number of steam locos. Anyway I could be wrong and one day I really do need to go take a ride and do the entire trip they offer, but I never seem to get enough time away from work.

Interesting story and I do need to go check out some of this stuff myself, I did once ride on the Pichi Richi but was much younger at the time so I need a refresher.

Didn't mean to sound like any of this was urgent anyway, as I said I'm not really a train buff, just a gamer really. I'm in to trainz atm because its TS2010 is my latest purchase and I do want to learn and one day complete my own Adelaide route complete with trains to go on it. Once the next game comes out though I'll probably drop trainz for a bit, Assassins Creed BH will be my next purchase and quite soon I think but judging by the last installment it only took me 3 days to finish, Ubi are good and taking a great idea and dumbing it down till I cant stand it anymore. I wont go any further with that though, when it comes to the modern generation of gaming/development I'm a bit of a grumpy old man myself, remember the good old days of developers who cared a little more about the product.

Anyway thanks for your time again, appreciate it.

Hi, there is also the York Peninsula Railway (YPR) in Wallaroo, which did cruises to Kadina and possibly further away. They stopped operating some time ago as insurance costs plus maintenance costs were getting to high. They have some Red Hens, a SuperChook and an old BlueBird sitting in their yard in Wallaroo last time I looked. Its owner let me take extensive pictures of these including of the cabs of these some time ago. One day perhaps I will start with these......

Re the Overland, they use the same stainless steel coaches as the Indian Pacific/Ghan do, all I need is a picture (800x600 pixels or so) of the Overland logo which is outside in the centre of the coaches. I might take a picture of the logo when in Adelaide next, possibly after Xmas.

I am not complaining here in this thread nor am I cranky towards you for asking. On the contrary, no problems here if someone needs more information or whatever.

If you would like to get involved in creating for TRS/TS, the best way for you is to start with either GMax or Blender. There are heaps of tutorials for these two programs out there from which to learn. The trick is to start with something simple and progress as you improve and than move on to better, more complex items.

When checking out my early content, I recall I started with a simple Australia Post letterbox of which I took some digital pictures which I used as textures. Since then I progressed to some tricky and not so complex buildings and other items like some of my WW II stuff I created. As I got better 3D creating wise, I took the plunge with creating the AN Class locomotives, which had not been on the DLS at that time I created them. Now I am exclusively into locomotive and RDC creating although often I get the urge to do some other things like buildings or whatever again.

There is no mystery to creating in 3D, it is only patience and perseverance needed and age is not really a barrier in starting as I only started a few years ago in 3D creating for TRS/TS as I got bored after retiring from work. There are some older and wiser content creators here doing excellent work too. I guess if I and they can do this, anyone can :hehe:.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Back