AltoDave's wonderful 0-6-0 switcher - the complete download

Alto Daves UP 0-6-0

Why is this locomotive so hard for the many, many thousands or Trainzers to get it running...Does it take rocket science to get it's dependencies ?

For that matter, why are Trainz assets on a whole...missing lots of Tga and bmp image files, and why are there so many typographical errors in the config files, and tags that are totally not allowed in the config files ?

Do people just nonchalantly, upload their content to the DLS, untested, hoping that they have all the files ?

For that matter, why are Trainz assets on a whole...missing lots of Tga and bmp image files, and why are there so many typographical errors in the config files, and tags that are totally not allowed in the config files ?

Do people just nonchalantly, upload their content to the DLS, untested, hoping that they have all the files ?

When created in TRS2004 and uploaded there wasn't the same error checking as there is today. Most content creators are more concerned with getting the darn thing to work than reading through 93 pages of the Content Creators Guide to see if every little bit is correct. I know sometimes after struggling with some obscure problem I'm only too happy to move on to something new.

Probably five out of six items of rolling stock or locos are reskins so the originators errors get included. Paintshed items are slightly better but even here the quality of the texture files and mesh isn't really up to the latest standards. You can of course take a paintshed texture file and increase its size by a factor of two in both directions to improve the texture quality, I think they were .pm files rather than .im so you'd need to run pev's tool to convert it as well.

The lucky content creators have beta testers but even the best ones miss things. I've noticed bugs a couple of years after making the object sometimes. Do you upload to the DLS or leave it to age with the beta testers for a couple of years first in case something crawls out of the woodwork.

Cheerio John

If it does't work, why is it on the DLS ?

EDIT: I finally got this loco working, with the animated swinging bell...the bell swings in Driver mode when pantograph button is pushed...but the bell seems not to swing in Cab mode. The Animated Willie the gimp Fireman shovels coal when the Space bar is pressed.

Last edited:
EDIT: I adjusted the "bellloopdur" from 0.875, to 0.8885 which seems come close to sync of the bell wav file sound.

The headlight does not show up in daytime...but when running at night the beam is bright, but the headlight corona seems redish.
The headlight <kuid:87589:10106> is "Corona Rounded Red", so I downloaded "Corona Rounded White" which is <kuid:87589:10105> and replaced it in 2 places in the config file, now the headlight is no longer reddish, and is now White...but it still does not show up in daylight.

You can select red, green or white colored marker lamps on the loco, but not on the tender, and the tender has no backup lighting.

I am working on a screenshot, and a video of this loco, which I will post here ASAP

Last edited:
I hunted down all of the KUIDs myself about a month ago and I can believe that without exaggeration this particular switcher has caused more anguish, pain, tears, and hand-wringing than any other loco out there.

I have to say though, once she's up and running, she becomes the workhorse of any steam-era fleet. :Y: :clap: :D
I agree with you man, this engine is a pain in the a** to download, i man with all of the dependicies and all. if i downloaded this loco, it would probably take me weeks, maybe months to track down every last part and kuid to make it work.

but beyond that, this is a magnificent engine ever, cause it will appear in nick the steam engine one day under the name wilbert.:) :D :udrool: :Y: :clap: :hehe:
by the way, TheCowboy, your engines are magnificent.

Cascade --

They just don't seem to listen do they?
_____

So to re-iterate:

1. I'm the dude what uploaded the 0-6-0 UP steam switcher to my Rapidshare folder.

2. If you wants the TRS2004/06 version, mouse click here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/100888294/Loco_UP_steam_060_ALL_ASSESTS.zip

3. If you wants the TS2009/10 version, mouse click here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/336061731/Loco_US_UP_060_SteamLoco_v3.cdp
_____

The 04/06 download includes those dependencies that are no longer on the DLS.

The 09/10 version will give the 4-chufs per revolution and an enginespec where driving style influences boiler pressure and water consumption without that annoying safety valve noise present in a lot of other '09 steamers (in Cab Mode that is).
_____

To see the bell animation, in Driver use the pantograph key (the 1-key in the numeric key pad with NumLock activated).

The marker light color, headlight position ... can be changed by clicking on the "?" in the rolling stock flyout in Surveyor and then on the locomotive.

The water hatch on the tender is animated when filling with water. With glugging sounds too.

The ash pan will dump ash in an ash pit.

Please enjoy.

Phil

Last edited:
Thank You !

Philskene...You are the King of Trainz...making this wonderfully animated locomotive available to all...Thank You, so much.

"Willy The Gimp" is a great driver for the loco. Orange blazered Allistair looks oddly out of place, standing with his feet protruding from bottom of the cab.

... and the spirit of the subforum's subject matter, a couple of screenies would be neat.

Just to see it run would be a treat I gave up myself a long time ago, and now I don't have the bandwidth to attemp a download. :)

... and the spirit of the subforum's subject matter, a couple of screenies would be neat.

Just to see it run would be a treat I gave up myself a long time ago, and now I don't have the bandwidth to attemp a download. :)

Yojimbo,

Here's some screenies :

Willie the gimp looks like he's hanging out a little bit

Yojimbo,

Here's some screenies :

Willie the gimp looks like he's hanging out a little bit

Thanks! great to see it in all its splendour rather than fragmented bits and pieces.

Regarding Willie; I never really got the meaning of "Bring out the Gimp!" but now I see what it means. Anyway he seems to be within the boundaries of the safe loading gauge, so we won't have to file any Near Miss or LTI reports.

That is a screenshot with Orange Blazered-Allistair. standing, hanging out of the cab.
Willy The Gimp is an old west RR driver. You can select to remove Allistair...and add Wiilly The Gimp driver, that has an animated turning head.

That is a screenshot with Orange Blazered-Allistair. standing, hanging out of the cab.
Willy The Gimp is an old west RR driver. You can select to remove Allistair...and add Wiilly The Gimp driver, that has an animated turning head.

Thanks, that makes more sense!

Back