AltoDave's wonderful 0-6-0 switcher - the complete download

philskene

This little locomotive by AltoDave has probably caused more heartbreak than any other locomotive on the Download Station:

IR1a_SteamSwitcher.jpg

It's a wonderful model, with many excellent little touches:
Use the pantograph key ("End" on the numeric keypad with NumLock engaged) to activate the bell animation.
When taking on water, the water hatch on the tender opens, water sounds are heard, and the hatch closes with a satisfying metallic bang.
The marker light can be changed - red, white or green.
And, hey, it just looks so damn good. Performs well too.

Dave made several attempts to tweak the config.txt file to make Download Helper capture all the files needed by the loco and tender. Unfortunately without success. Hence grown men weeping, wailing and the gnashing of teeth in attempting to get this beauty up and running.

I've put together a session for IndustRail 1a that uses this locomotive. I've identified those dependencies that Download Helper (and possibly CMP) refuses to find, and incorporated these dependencies in the config.txt file of the session. You can thus be assured that all the assets that are not on your PC will be downloaded with the session and the locomotive will work as intended.

Once you have this UP version operational all the others based upon it should also work.

The only dependencies not present on the Download Station are the coronas used by the marker lights. These can be downloaded from:
http://www.users.on.net/~pskene/coronas.zip
_____

The session goes like this:

Chuck and Joe, Yard Master here.
After watering and coaling your locomotive I need you to switch Fingers Foundry, Boxings Containers and TinPenny Drum.
Take the loaded freight cars in the Transfer Yard, unload and then reload them at Fingers, Boxings and TinPenny. The flats go to Fingers, the wells to Boxings and the gondolas to TinPenny.
Return the loaded cars to the Transfer Yard. Contact me for your next turn.

_____

Maps and a readme are included in the folder containing the session:

IndustRail_map_09.jpg

Note: In the session three yellow markers represent a LARS section of track; two ProtoLARS. Freight cars will load or unload when stationary on a LARS section. If one car in the consist has been stationary on a ProtoLARS section for one minute, all freight cars in the consist will load or unload in sequence. Right clicking on the section of track will show what it programmed to produce or consume.

I'd suggest sorting the cars before setting out. A possible sequence is loco, flats, wells and gondolas, but how you tackle the session is very much up to you. A little thought and scouting in the 4-key view may save time later on.

In this session the freight cars unload at LARS industry tracks and load at ProtoLARS. The session should take about 1h30 to complete.

Feedback is most welcome.

Phil

Last edited:
Well done Phil. This remains one of my favourite locos in Trainz and AltoDave and I spent quite a bit of time emailing back and forth to get it right, but it was let down by the DLS/CMP etc not finding the more recent versions of the dependencies. I applaud you for getting more people to find the necessary bits and hope as many people enjoy it as possible.

Cheers
Tony

Just curious, does anyone know whatever happened to Alto Dave? He showed a lot of promise as a creator and after he built the loco and a nice caboose he disappeared. Too bad for the community.

Neat-oh!

You forgot to mention the choice of steam generators and headlight styles and positions... I don't know if Alto managed to put in the chrome exhausts and fat tyres too. :hehe:

One small drawback with these beasties is the need to empty the ash pan every ten minutes or so. You really need a working ash pit at every station unless you get into the config.txt and tweak it up a bit. If you're being a real man and driving in Cab Mode this can be an issue to good steaming.

Cheers

Nix

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I don't know what happened to Dave. I did send him an e-mail a while back about changing the coronas on his semaphore signals, but there was no reply.

Nix --

And remember the option of the coal pusher on the tender too.

Yes, I forgot to mention the animated ash pan:

Misc_72.jpg

Misc_73.jpg

From memory a few other locomotives have this feature (can't remember which ones tho) and I thought this might be an emerging feature on steam Trainz, so you will find an ash pit at most of the larger depots on my routes - in Riverside at Diaspar and Lys; in IndustRail at Invercargill, Loco Depot, Dunedin, Picton and Lys.

After
Chuck and Joe, Yard Master here.
After watering and coaling your locomotive

I should have added
and dump ash from the ash pan at the ash pit

I made provision for refueling Phil_C's diesel locomotives on these routes, but unfortunately I didn't anticipate wood (The General) and Bunker-C (Garratt).

Are you sure that the level of ash affects performance? I know that it does in real life, but I've never noticed it in the simulation.
_____

The more observant may notice that the bogeys on the tender are not the ones that come as standard.

If, like me, you think that the standard ones are just a little too flimsy to use under even a boat trailer, alias to kuid 60238:50012

Phil

Last edited:
AutoDave's wonderful 0-6-0 switcher

Forgive me if this sounds dumb. how can i download the train. or is this a layout that uses this train.

Thanks

Jim

I made provision for refueling Phil_C's diesel locomotives on these routes, but unfortunately I didn't anticipate wood (The General) and Bunker-C (Garratt).
Phil

The "Museum" General uses diesel fuel, so it should pose no problems on this route. As long as your using the tender that goes with the "Museum" General it should refuel at any of Phil_C's refueling station(s). I successfully tested it using one of his. (Refuel the tender, NOT the engine)

Terry

Hi Phil.

quote,

I've put together a session for IndustRail 1a that uses this locomotive. I've identified those dependencies that Download Helper (and possibly CMP) refuses to find, and incorporated these dependencies in the config.txt file of the session. You can thus be assured that all the assets that are not on your PC will be downloaded with the session and the locomotive will work as intended.

end quote

I'm very sorry to tell you but it didn't work for me.
I had to manually download 6 items for the loco.

cheers
Roy

Hi Jim --

It's a session for the route "IndustRail 1a". So you need the route for the session to work. Be warned that the dependencies for the route total more than 100MB, but a substantial part of that are the products used by interactive industries - and many of the dependencies you may have already.

Hi Terry --

Hey, that's good because all the major depots on IndustRail have facilities for refueling Phil Campbell's locomotives. Thanks.

Hi Roy --

Damn !~! I tested the sesion on a vanilla install of TRS2004 that had only IndustRail 1a added to it. The session downloaded and ran perfectly - no errors at all.

My guess is that you're running TRS2006? I thought that CMP was a little better in identifying dependencies, but in this case it may be six dependencies worse.

Lucky I did give myself an out " (and possibly CMP) ".

Do you know the kuids that were missing?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reminder about AltoDave's switcher, it downloaded into 2006 with only two passes thru CMP (plus your corona dl) ... the only dependency missing is 43955:54005.

Hi Phil
sorry to dissapoint you but I'm an 04 dinosaur like Nix.

the Kuids I had to d/l were
46075:50171, 46075:50172, 46075:10100, 46075:10101, 46075:2000010 and 126323:54001.

cheers
Roy

Hi Dave --

" ... the only dependency missing is 43955:54005."

WOW!! That's from way out of left field. I don't know what's calling that one up. It's one of Prowlers - the RGS #20 whistle. 'Tis possible that an earlier version of the switcher used Prowlers whistle, but not this latest version. Interesting.

Roy --

All those dependencies are in the kuid table of the session and should have been downloaded with the session. I can't understand why my Download Helper captured them but yours didn't. One of those Trainz quirks?

Phil

Hmmm, I got all KINDS of wierdness!! Running 06 with SP1

Tender has an issue with:
Faulty WAV file - Copy of Auran Coal Unloading (which has an issue with: Error: The tag 'origin' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'library'))

Tender also cannot find:
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000011>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000012>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000013>

Locomotive has:
Warning: Compulsory tag 'color' was missing and has been set to default.
Error: MeshData DatabaseLoad - cannot load mesh: 'UP_060_shadow\UP_060_shadow.im'
Error: The tag '!-' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'traincar')
Error: The tag 'bellloopdur' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'traincar')

Imbedded within the locomotive I have many faulty dependencies
Won't list them all here.

I'll play with it and see if I cannot clean it up.

Terry

I have a dumb question. Why must we download a 100 meg route and session just to get a loco and tender? Why can't someone put together a package on the dls with the loco, tender and all required dependencies in the pack? I have given up on downloading maps as I have never been successful at geting one without having something being wrong with it.

I hunted down all of the KUIDs myself about a month ago and I can believe that without exaggeration this particular switcher has caused more anguish, pain, tears, and hand-wringing than any other loco out there.

I have to say though, once she's up and running, she becomes the workhorse of any steam-era fleet. :Y: :clap: :D

How do I get past

Error: The tag 'origin' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'library')

What should I rename it? I've tried simply running it through the CCP but it reflects the same error and won't suggest anything. (wonder of wonders! :( )

Terry

Hmmm, I got all KINDS of weirdness!! Running 06 with SP1
Tender also cannot find:
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000011>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000012>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000013>

Terry

I ran the tender through CMP a second time and it fetched those (all wave sounds) If I remember those were faulty too.

How do I get past

Error: The tag 'origin' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'library')

What should I rename it? I've tried simply running it through the CCP but it reflects the same error and won't suggest anything. (wonder of wonders! :( )

Terry
Delete it. It's only used in kind traincar configs. If the library depends on this tag being there then it's broken in TRS2006.

Bob Pearson

Back