A real Trainz Oddity

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
Well, something REALLY strange has happened that cleared up a issue I've had for about 5 months. I had around 53.4 GB left on my PC, and I decided to run a Quick Database repair in trainz because I had a couple assets I downloaded that was not working correctly. After the Quick Database Repair got done, the content was fixed, but something else also happened. The QDR removed so many assets that I removed over time, and were still catched by CM, got cleared out, and my PC's GB went from the 53.4 all the way back to 169. I guess the lesson learn is run a QDR every once in a while or else that will happen.

Well, something REALLY strange has happened that cleared up a issue I've had for about 5 months. I had around 53.4 GB left on my PC, and I decided to run a Quick Database repair in trainz because I had a couple assets I downloaded that was not working correctly. After the Quick Database Repair got done, the content was fixed, but something else also happened. The QDR removed so many assets that I removed over time, and were still catched by CM, got cleared out, and my PC's GB went from the 53.4 all the way back to 169. I guess the lesson learn is run a QDR every once in a while or else that will happen.

This is probably related to the assets.tdx file. Keep in mind this is a giant file table, meaning a big grid with pockets in it to store file information that can be sorted and referenced in various ways. Being what it is, it doesn't shrink but instead grows and grows as content is added to the game. This occurs even if you delete content since only the content its self is removed, but the table space for it is already allocated. The assets.tdx file may even contain the old pointers to the deleted stuff so that might have explained some of the strange crashing you were experiencing as TADDaemon was looking for stuff that wasn't really there. By running the QDR, you effectively cleaned up the extra space in the table making everything run more efficiently and also made the file that much smaller.

I highly recommend checking Content Manager for faulty assets. This always happens as content is touched by the database repair. These are false errors so don't panic. Simply view the errors and warnings and the problems will go away.

John

Back