Precaching content taking a while

jadebullet

might be back?
Hello everyone,
Just a quick question. I am currently trying to load up a route and it has been on the loading screen for about 25 minutes now with a spinning square stating "Precaching content." Is it normal for this step to take this long or is this a sign that I need a database repair?

If this is the first time the route has been loaded after a fresh install, then a precache will take a while to complete. A really large route will only compound this and will take a very long time to complete. Once completed, the route will load up much faster the next time it's loaded.

There are some things you can do to help.

If you're running from a regular hard drive, by all means defragment the drive. This really helps a lot.
Ensure you have plenty of disk space as that can slow things down quite a bit.

Finally, you can precache your content prior to running Trainz.

At the Launcher, click on Trainz settings.
Click on the checkbox to enable Dev tab and click on enable advanced debugging tools if you haven't already done that.
Close this window and:

Click on Developer on the menu bar on the Launcher.
Click on Run TrainzUtil Command...

This will bring up a dialog box where you can enter the command parameter you want.

In the space, put in:

prebuild --force --nofail

This process can take a very long time to run, and therefore it's recommended you run this overnight. Once complete, your routes will load up much quicker than they do if they have to precache the data on the first run.

Note that the "--nofail" argument doesn't prevent prebuild from failing...

Last edited:
To add to the good advice given
Trainz is very read/write intensive, so the best thing you can do is have your local folder/dir
on the fastest drive you have or can install.
Even cached files/assets have to be read from disk.

Last year I bought a 2T 980pro SSD.m2 NVMe and everything loads faster
and can have almost all at ultra on my 4 year old mediocre system

UserBenchmarks: Game 68%, Desk 93%, Work 67%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 84.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660-Ti - 72.9%
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB - 353% <<<-------------------
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 66.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x16GB - 96.6%
MBD: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85)

Back