Trainz, Kickstarter, and Poll #1

Will you be pledging your support for Trainz: A New Era?

• Definitely - I can't wait to make my pledge!

Votes: 67 27.0%
  • Probably - I will check the details of the project first.

Votes: 101 40.7%
  • Possibly - It depends on the rewards.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Maybe - I will wait and see.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • Unlikely - I will not support this project

Votes: 14 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Put me in the euphoria category - as opposed to paranoia.
I will definitely support this project because, if enough of us get behind it we will:
1. Get the new game engine (E2) we have all been asking for for years
2. Have a clear path to more prototypical operations for our scenario development efforts
3. Have a chance to influence the priorities for the further development of this wonderful and immersive railway simulator

This is also your chance to evangelize your hobby to others who haven't yet discovered the pleasures of creating realistic alternative worlds and challenging railway operating scenarios.
The chances of our success are actually very high - since there are 10s of thousands of existing Auran/ N3V satisfied customers, most of whom do not have the time or interest to visit or post in this forum.
PC

First - more detail, new file format and new features on the screenshots (max detailed), content guide, second - from me pledge. ;)

A Maybe for me as at this stage as there are not enough details to even hazard a guess at what i would be willing to pledge.
Cheers Mick.

Thanks for the feedback guys - I realize all the info isn't out there yet, but that makes it almost even more interesting to see the mix of results at this stage.

And please, we have DRM thread already and we have stated that all will be revealed prior to and in the project pages.

Regarding the science of polls here, it's pretty poor science. It's mall group and very non-random (all know Trainz well). The true success of Kickstarter won't be about the percentage of Trainz forum users who pledge, but rather the number of additional external people a.) discover the project and b.) pledge their support.

I have voted "maybe", not for anything to do with DRM, but simply because I want to see evidence of new and that it's not just emperor's new clothes this time.

I voted probably. While I may pull out for some reason already stated, I'm pretty sure I'll support it.

I dunno...I'm pretty sure the numbers of copies of legitimate software, music, etc. rendered inoperative by DRM when the companies when belly-up, changed their minds, decided to obsolete old versions...I'm pretty sure that's in the tens if not hundreds of millions. Just sayin'.

I've lost orders of magnitude more older software because it just didn't run on newer OS and / or hardware than by DRM or actual loss of the company.

I suspect I'll probably donate; this team has a long history of delivering, even during the low post-Fury days. While no version has been perfect, in my opinion, each one has been an improvement over the previous.

I, for one, am definitely looking forward to seeing what comes out of this new version :)

Curtis

I don't know why you are so confused ... as it is specifically spelled out in 3 or more threads, if you read all 30,000 syllables, and 15 related links, and decipher cryptic guessing games :hehe:

BTW your route(s) are so good, that they should be included as major parts of the new Trainz New Era

Last edited:
I'm going to destroy the world because of DRM. For goodness sake kids! N3V has made no concrete statement with regards to this, yet the amount of hysteria surrounding the whole thing is quite unfathomable. What's the point of getting all hot under the collar before you know what the craic is?

How about a poll in which you state your intention based on current information? It's not legally binding so if you decide to change your mind once the full facts are finally revealed, this is perfectly acceptable.

Well judging by how many times it's been said on this forum alone in past WEEK I would say DRM has racked up way more cash.

Well, if someone from N3V would have just answered our questions when asked, the issue would have gone away on the first day...but they refuse to give answers, only wishful hoping maybes...

So, in like-kind, I am a "Maybe, I'll wait to see". (chances are good, that will change to a "no".)

Well, if someone from N3V would have just answered our questions when asked, the issue would have gone away on the first day...but they refuse to give answers, only wishful hoping maybes...

So, in like-kind, I am a "Maybe, I'll wait to see". (chances are good, that will change to a "no".)

Well, Tony did finally just issue a partial answer in the DRM thread. I wish we had that answer earlier, and I still need to see what the "long" version of the story is, of course.

Probably a dumb question but would someone please explain this "pledge" thing?
Hi Ben,

You will find most information here, but in short:
With a "pledge" you state to pay X for a set project, in this case "Trainz: A New Era". You do not pay unless the set target amount is reached. In return for your pledge you will get something; in case of game development usually the game (assuming you pledge the minimum amount the game would cost) or some trinkets based on the amount pledged. What you get in return for your pledge will be announced before making the pledge.

Hope that clears things up.
Another good source of information can be found here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/hello?ref=nav

they refuse to give answers, only wishful hoping maybes...
If you are referring to "the DRM issue", Tony posted a reaction there about 2.5 hours before you posted that comment here.

Last edited:
I don't know why you are so confused ... as it is specifically spelled out in 3 or more threads, if you read all 30,000 syllables, and 15 related links, and decipher cryptic guessing games :hehe:

BTW your route(s) are so good, that they should be included as major parts of the new Trainz New Era

LOL
None of my routes will ever be included. They are all for personal use only.

Well all I want is a 'Brew Crew' coffee mug, but if I have the resources I may pledge more to aquire a few more trinkets :eek:.

What's the difference between a pledge and just buying the darn thing?
In case of pledging you are funding the creating process before it starts. Buying (in case of games) is usually after the project is finished.
What N3V is doing by setting up a kickstarter is checking if there actually is enough interest in the project they worked out instead of taking the risks of doing the investment. Another reason can be (and usually is) they simply do not have the money for the investment. If the money goal set in the kickstarter is not met with the pledges, no money changes hands.

Back