Trainz, Kickstarter, and Poll #1

Will you be pledging your support for Trainz: A New Era?

• Definitely - I can't wait to make my pledge!

Votes: 67 27.0%
  • Probably - I will check the details of the project first.

Votes: 101 40.7%
  • Possibly - It depends on the rewards.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Maybe - I will wait and see.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • Unlikely - I will not support this project

Votes: 14 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I might agree with you Shane but for one reason. As these people dont visit the forums, unless we know them personally, just how can we tell them? Hence my asking what N3V intend to do about something like a mass email to all its users. At the very least something should have been in the newsletter by now - I presume more folk get that than go on the forums?

I think the N3V are more likely to know how to go about this than a few people on a forum.

I would expect any email to be sent out when the Kickstarter has been launched, not before as there is nothing to see yet, I would think it's obvious that N3V have given forum users a heads up in advance of the rest, not uncommon in the gaming world actually.
Then there are a lot of gamers who will habitually look at Kickstarter, I know I do.
Any new Kickstarter project in the gaming world is likely to get publicised in the relevant media, is bound to get mentioned on rival sims forums, everything else Trainz does is.

Come launch day there may also be an announcement in game when you launch the sim, which will catch those not on mailing lists or using the forum.

That solves the publicity issue? next problem? :hehe:

The latest newsletter, dated yesterday (8th Nov 2013), does have a link to the Forum but no mention of the changes.

Top item is the announcement of the Screenshot of the Week competition winner - dated 26th June - 3rd July.

Good opportunity missed there I think.

(BTW, well done deadpoolmx55)
At least you have received a newsletter :eek: I'm still waiting (its been that long I can't even remember when I got the last one :confused:

At least you have received a newsletter :eek: I'm still waiting (its been that long I can't even remember when I got the last one :confused:

I haven't received one since I changed my e-mail address to my current one (which has been a year or two). I did update the address in my profile, but where else would I need to update it?

Meanwhile, I voted 'probably'. I'm excited, but just cautious enough not to jump in before I've read the fine print. :D

Maybe...

I picked Maybe - I will wait and see pending the outcome of the DRM issue. Ditto for buying the final product - if there's DRM, I won't be buying or pledging.

That's about where I stand!!! (maybe)... depends on the whole "DRM issue" and whether or not I can purchase the next version of Trainz (preferably direct from NV3) on DVD/boxed version. Happy to pay a little extra...

Less worried about DLC content. (If it's only available via DRM, then I'll learn to get by without it)...

Cheers, Mac...

Sincerely
Unlikely - I will not support this project

We the trainzers have been supporting trainz since the first edition, so why we'd have to support a TBD Trainz new version. This poll sucks, its like to put the trainzers that will pay to the others that will not pay to choose who will get a good threat and who will get a bad threat for not have paid in the past

I hate what Trainz is becoming these days

Greetings

Hi Ivan. The poll is anonymous - we have no idea who votes for which option, so there will be no recriminations against people expressing their viewpoint. Besides, what do we have to gain from "threatening" anyone?

Your signature indicates you want to see Trainz progress forwards. We have developed a plan that we believe is the best way to create a bigger, better version of Trainz in the shortest amount of time possible. If you want to help make Trainz better, then check out our kickstarter project on Wednesday.

Of course, if you want to wait longer for us to release a smaller update to Trainz, then don't support our project.

Well we know we should have at least 62 pledgers come Wednesday. ;)

I think the numbers will change considerably come Wednesday - particularly if the drm issue is answered in what is seen as a positive light by those with concerns about it ;)
For me personally I may have problems with drm but I think my biggest issue is whether or not I can afford the pledge as I'm sure others will have a similar concern.

I will not support the development thru a Kickstarter Program as I have supported N3V thru FCT Purchases, Multiple Trainz Version Purchases, and DLC Payware.
As a solid existing business such as N3V with many avenues of Simulators Software, Kickstarter to me is unnecessary.

Any business out there MUST DELIVER a SOLID PRODUCT and/or INNIVATION TO EXISTING PRODUCTS to have repeat customers and attract new customers.
Financially sound businesses regardless of PRODUCT OFFERRED do not need this approach.

In December 2015 maybe you will see another version added to my Trainz Purchase Tree, but after I see the BUG REPORT POSTS and the QUICK RESOLVE thru what I fear MANY PATCHES/Service Packs.
Only then will I admit, "I was a FOOL to look at this approach in the manner I do at this time".

Sorry to be so pessimistic with TRAINZ: A New Era but the past has me extremely leery and what I would like and truly feel is needed is not even mentioned.......

Last edited:
After all that has been said and written about the KickStarter project, some people still seem unclear on the concept, or they just don't want to know.

After all that has been said and written about the KickStarter project, some people still seem unclear on the concept, or they just don't want to know.
Or are very clear, and just don’t want to know.

Alternatively there could be other possibilities:

.. are very clear, and are very enthusiastic.
.. aren’t very clear, and just don’t want to know.
.. aren’t very clear, and are very enthusiastic.
Etc.. etc..

I think we should have a poll.

Oh, wait a minute..

I think I understand overall this is what Tony_Hilliam has been saying all along and I quote what I understand is the crux -and I am willing to give N3V a chance to go at it .
"We have developed a plan that we believe is the best way to create a bigger, better version of Trainz in the shortest amount of time possible."
I think it will be all ok but I realise not everyone can be pleased short term. Also can't see N3V shooting themselves in the foot with strict DRM application. So wait and see Wednesday for me.

I am disappointed lately with the response to the news of this major step forward with this simulator. The game won't be perfect no game IS perfect. I swear all I've heard here on the forum about this game is 60% whining about the DRM issue, 20% jumping to conclusions and being depressing and can't seem to wait until all of the details are released, then there's me and a small bunch who are ACTUALLY HAPPY to see the game progressing. I mean be honest people, there is a solid reason for why you still play trainz and are not switching over to the alternatives, be happy that something is getting done with the game that we really want.

tl;dr: give it a chance

I'm all in, say what you will about our relationship with N3v all you like. That means nothing, seeing I would be all in from a user standpoint anyways. Trainz has been around a long, long time. This is the first time I have seen since 2004 that we will be getting something totally new. At this point ya'll can come up with as many conspiracy theories as you like, what it boils down to though is how many folks are going to step up to the plate and make a pledge. There is no risk here, if the demands are not met no money exchanges hands. Some of you are acting like this is a lifetime investment, it's not. It's a chance for ALL of us to make TRS what we want, so we can either band together and make sure we get what we want or we can just whine and complain with nothing. Just the base features alone should be enough to get folks moving, what they are asking for is really nothing in terms of development costs. As an owner of a company affiliated with N3V of course we are excited and want to see some new changes, this allows us to take content to a whole new level. Yes it's a full time job for us, however at the end of the day the goals never change, we want to continue to push the limits of what can be done in TRS.

It's time to put the rest of the sims in their final resting places, ball is in our court...

Flame jacket is on, fire away!

Mike

Whining and complaining is easy, it means you don't have to do anything yourself and it doesn't cost you anything. Maybe that's why it is so popular.

Paul

Delighted to hear the sentiment expressed by 22alpha of Jointed Rail - a company with real skin in the game AND street credibility to boot.
To get ahead, most companies need to take a certain level of risk, albeit calculated ones.
N3V are doing so, based on their assessment of the market, their internal capabilities, our views, and the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who take great pleasure from railway simulators.
And Jointed Rail and the other commercial content developers stand to gain mightily if the limited risks taken by N3V and the Kickstarter backers pay off.
Indeed, Everybody wins, even the flame throwers and doubting Thomas's when a better, more responsive game platform is delivered in 2014.
If you don't back it now, be sure to buy it then. It will be demonstrably better than what we have today - and because of the new engine, playable on modern computers for a much longer life-span than the current architecture.
PC

There's a lot of us here that are getting quite old, and I don't know about you, but I feel that this may be my last chance to get the train sim, that I have always wanted, but could never quite get.
To be honest RailWorks is getting there but there is too much missing to immerse me in to the game.
It is all frills and no real substance, they gave it a good try and is in some areas competing with N3V, enough so that N3V have finally had to start with a new engine. So sadly, I doubt if RailWorks will ever make my dream come true.
I do recon that if anyone can do it, N3V stand to have the best chance, of coming up with a proper Train Simulator, I too don't like DRM, but I'll be dammed if I'm going to let that stop me.

Back