Trainz, Kickstarter, and Poll #1

Will you be pledging your support for Trainz: A New Era?

• Definitely - I can't wait to make my pledge!

Votes: 67 27.0%
  • Probably - I will check the details of the project first.

Votes: 101 40.7%
  • Possibly - It depends on the rewards.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Maybe - I will wait and see.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • Unlikely - I will not support this project

Votes: 14 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will be making a pledge. I look at it this way, are you willing to put your money where your mouth is in regards to the much requested improvements? Obviously if you are not, it would not be worth it to N3V. If you pledge enough, one could think of this as a preorder with a much delayed payment.

...snip...

If you are referring to "the DRM issue", Tony posted a reaction there about 2.5 hours before you posted that comment here.

Well excuse me for reading and replying to the Forums in a top-down manner after I log-in...(explative delete).

1. Tony didn't answer a damned thing; he made another "peace offering" to avoid a total revolt against the kickstarter project by nearly 25% of the active forum members, and an untold number of others who do not participate, just lurk.

2. Until the "long" version is published, I don't feel that any of MY questions have been fully answered. Replies of "similar to" and "not likely" do nothing to reassure with any definition that future implementation will be no "more agressive" than current implementation, and directly refutes any comments made previously, that removal of the current implementation may be "negotiable".

Feel free to continue acting superior, as I have more important things, like my family and my business, to focus on.

Tony didn't answer a damned thing; he made another "peace offering" to avoid a total revolt against the kickstarter project by nearly 25% of the active forum members, and an untold number of others

This whole thing is getting old quickly. While it's completely sensible to read the fine print before putting forward any money, nobody from N3V has ever suggested expanding the payware content system to enforce DRM on the game itself. This idea comes purely from certain forum members.

Claiming that tony has made a "peace offering" would imply that he's involved in a conflict, when in fact what we have is a bunch of forum users working themselves up over speculation which has no basis other than their own predictions of the future. :)

So yes, we'll need to wait until Tony is happy that he's dotted the T's and crossed the I's. :hehe:

But I think we can probably stop the hyperbole until then.

kind regards,

chris

So yes, we'll need to wait until Tony is happy that he's dotted the T's and crossed the I's.
This DRM question is a reminder of similar incidents in the forum's past, where members took the worst possible view of Auran/N3V's actions and/or statements. The 'final' statement will need to be cast iron and unambiguous to avoid further (insert adjective of your choice) speculation.

Last edited:
For me I want to see the fine print. In particular a detailed plan and timeline of how the work will progress and concrete descriptions of what my money will be spent on and what it bring to the game. If I get the right answers I will pledge. Fudge or aspirational PR talk won't do it. BTW I don't care a jot about DRM.

I voted maybe. I am not much entusiastic. All this new changes make me suspect, that the old content will not work on the new one. Which worries me the most. I will wait and see until the product was released and then I´ll decide if I am buying it or not. Sorry Auran, that´s the best I can do for you.

Supposedly there are >624,000 registered Trainzers. Don't know how many PC Trainz owners who might be able to instal an E2 based Trainz version at the first release.
Hardly more than 3,000 trainzers visit the forum on any day.
There are only ~3,000 creators ever who have assets on the DLS, with only a handful currently actively uploading.

This poll is hardly representative of the Trainz Community. Don't read too much into it. Any poll on so important a subject must have a much wider distribution to be valid.

I couldn't care less about rewards, other than the next Trainz version being an outstanding product. Just how much better than what we currently have is dependent largely on Community support.

I will be pledging whatever I can of my pension to support this Kickstarter project, based on the 13 Nov 13 presentation and subsequent discussion.

Last edited:
A question I would like to ask. How can N3V reach the rest of the community? Im talking specifically here about those who dont come on the forums regularly or not at all. Has an email been sent out to all the customers who have a valid email address logged with N3V? If not how does N3v intend to reach out to the potential 600,000+ users?

I would imagine not Antony as neither you or I have received one. I received a Trainz newsletter today that had no mention of it. They need to do much better.

Hi Antony:

Glad you brought that up.

172 responses to a poll out of a 500K+ Trainzer base means decisions might ultimately be based on such a small number of respondents so as to be a bit meaningless.

If Auran/N3V had been listening to its customers over the years they would know what we want and don't want they wouldn't need to resort a poll.

Ben

They are not doing the poll to aid the decision making process, they have already decided to try kickstarter. And it's 172 responses so far out of 3K active Forum users, not 50K (whatevers).

Paul

It's sometimes astonishing how many like to see a glass half empty in contrast to half full instead. :hehe:

Greetings from dusk Amsterdam,

Jan

I wasnt asking in response to the poll. But rather asking it knowing that kickstart is only 4 days away. I know I haven't received any such email so I'm just curious as to how the 600,000+ who don't go on the forums are going to find out about it so they have the opportunity to pledge.

172 out of 3000 active forum users is less then 6%. Even at 3000 sales I wonder if that is sufficient to make a financially viable product worth the effort. Decisions should be made based on all Trainzers - not the vocal few (self included).

To me the entire concept of a poll like this this is early seems a bit silly. We do not really know what will be offered or answers to many of the myriad questions raised in this and other threads. Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to have a poll based on what features we want and don't want rather then asking us to make a decision based on a large number of unknowns?

To me the only viable response to the poll is wait and see.

Ben

I think that's why N3V want the users who do visit the forums to spread the word about it.

Shane

I might agree with you Shane but for one reason. As these people dont visit the forums, unless we know them personally, just how can we tell them? Hence my asking what N3V intend to do about something like a mass email to all its users. At the very least something should have been in the newsletter by now - I presume more folk get that than go on the forums?

The latest newsletter, dated yesterday (8th Nov 2013), does have a link to the Forum but no mention of the changes.

Top item is the announcement of the Screenshot of the Week competition winner - dated 26th June - 3rd July.

Good opportunity missed there I think.

(BTW, well done deadpoolmx55)

Today's newsletter would have been a perfect place to at least mention the KickStarter project. Unless, they only want to reach out to those who are active on the forum.
For ideas, that is probably the best place to ask since you need to be active to have some notion as to what to ask for.
For funding, the more the merrier. Since I don't know many other Trainzers personally besides the people here, I won't be much good at spreading the word.

Back