Trainz Plus - HD Terrain update and more!

n3vpolsen

Administrator

HD Terrain gives you 1600x more data density to manipulate and texture the terrain. Find out everything to do with HD terrain on the Trainz Plus website HERE

3D Thumbnails
Not all thumbnails are created equal, and for this reason the S20 Assets Palette now shows 3D previews of all your content.

3d_thumbnails.png

22KM Draw Distance
We have increased the draw distance from 15km to 22km so now you can see even more detail than ever before!
HD terrain should go out to 30km regardless of your draw distance setting. You can set the master draw distance to 3km, it will still draw HD terrain out to 30km.

22km_dd_trainz_plus2b.gif

Effect Layers
The limit on total Effect Layer data size has been raised substantially allowing for a greater number of effect layers per route.
In addition to this, Clutter is now processed on the GPU giving better performance (windows only).

Living Railroad
We've unified and overhauled the Surveyor "Properties" and Driver "View Details" windows to bring you a UI fit for the next generation of gameplay. New industry queue editors allow instant configuration of processes and commodity levels, and a powerful new "Activity Log" lists related railroad activity from all over the Route.

and much more...

Multiplayer Surveyor
The latest Trainz Plus update introduces a new era of route construction, all powered by MPS technology. We've substantially enhanced our MPS servers and client code to streamline cloud-based route development.

mps_collab.png

There are no restrictions concerning content. Our dedicated content team stands ready to assist in bundling new content into deployable packages, all to be used alongside your route. This encompasses all sorts of content, whether it's freshly created by you or the team, DLS content, or DLC content. It's all now available for integration into your MPS routes.

We are in the process of setting up several teams to work directly in MPS and our content team will be jumping in and out of their routes providing creation support. If you are interested in a collaborative environment to help build your route creations then this update is one for you!

Get Trainz Plus for all this and more!

I'm just trying to read between the lines here. Are routes created in MPS forever bound to the MPS environment or can they be broken out as private routes that can be distributed as routes are now?

I have to say, this is a superb leap forward in terms of route creation. Thanks should rightly go to Tony and all the N3V team involved.

I converted the Edinburgh - Glasgow route this morning and the improvement is immediately apparent. I especially like the fact the 'jagged edge' of ground textures is now smooth, especially noticeable with ballast under the tracks. The only things that have gone wrong so far is I had a crash on trying to save the route but edits weren't lost, and I'm going to have to spend a few days reviewing all the existing ground textures and retexturing all the track. Worth it I say.

One thing I'm curious about is smoothing ground below splines. I tried this to see what results I'd get and although embankments and cuttings are lovely and smooth, the smoothed area is almost twice as wide as the track itself, which makes embankments and cuttings seem far wider than they should be. I thought I may be able to change the radius of the smoothing but I haven't found this as yet. Is it even possible?

Cheers,
Innis

Last edited:
don't no if i'am missing somethimg but how do you download it?

When you start up Trainz+, you should be prompted to install an update.

If you were involved in the beta, ensure that the program to update is set to Trainz-Plus and the update stream is the same, otherwise there will be no update available.

Sometimes, you need to run the patch installer (Patch Installer.exe) manually and that can be found here:

C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022

This may be stupid question......where is the Trainz Living Railroad option in #122411? Advertised in the newsletter as the 1st version ready to go. I can't find the option in any menu anywhere.

I like the new HD terrain and the 3d thumbnails. I was wondering if the background could be changed for the thumbnails. Some of the plants are very hard to see. The thumbnail version of the content manager seems to work well. Thanks. Enjoying the HD Terrain very much. Well worth the subscription.

Jack

I bet you are not the only one
I consider myself pretty stupid and so my question is the same so must be a stupid questio although N3V has always a rich mixture of marketing and reality wereby the latter is difficult to locate.
The first TLR release will be a prototype implementation of the freight operations.

me as a non native english speaker read here will be and not ready to go or referenced to where to find this thingy.

Relax as there are more important things in life to tackle so let time and experts sort this out by themselves and not lose one minute to solve those marketing riddles flooding trainz like always.

This may be stupid question......where is the Trainz Living Railroad option in #122411? Advertised in the newsletter as the 1st version ready to go. I can't find the option in any menu anywhere.

As I understand it, TLR is still a WIP. If you look at the general forum, there is a new subforum for that topic started by PWieser.

I never felt the need for it but HOW does one count the amount of textures used in any given Baseboard????
If i need to identify and or count xx textures and reduce it to 16 i feel like stuck at this moment.
Thanks

I never felt the need for it but HOW does one count the amount of textures used in any given Baseboard????
If i need to identify and or count xx textures and reduce it to 16 i feel like stuck at this moment.
Thanks

There is no methodology for the user to count textures. If you convert a route the 16 most used textures are used and missing textures are kind of replaced by the nearest textures to the area missing textures. It doesn't work well so a lot of manual touch up is needed.

Last edited:
I bet you are not the only one
I consider myself pretty stupid and so my question is the same so must be a stupid questio although N3V has always a rich mixture of marketing and reality wereby the latter is difficult to locate.
The first TLR release will be a prototype implementation of the freight operations.

me as a non native english speaker read here will be and not ready to go or referenced to where to find this thingy.

Relax as there are more important things in life to tackle so let time and experts sort this out by themselves and not lose one minute to solve those marketing riddles flooding trainz like always.

TLR appears to be implemented in stages, bits of the interface changes are in the new update but the whole system is not there yet.

I see TLR as the most important development for a railroad simulator. If N3V is creating a game development program then the graphics are top of the list. I can imagine a version of N3V, minus railroad stuff, being sold as a Game Development tool with the best graphics.

However, I have always wanted the best Railroad Simulator with adequate graphics. I can only hope that TLR will bring the "operational reality" of a modern rail simulator.

Sigh* Another update to Trainz UTC with some route building modifications.

Again and again! Another lost opportunity to inprove physics and train sound effects that has not been updated in over 20 years!

Absolutely nothing in this anounement has addressed anything I wrote some months ago in this post in ways to inprove the sound abilitys in Trainz. Electric trains sounds awful in Trainz! Will a day come where actual focus on train realisium, effects, and physics over constant tweaking to route building?

What a shame!

My Trainz+ installation is updating as we speak. Quick question: what does this HD terrain and massive increase in draw distance do to load on PC? Does it need a lot more computer resource to deliver the same performance as TRS19? Time to trade-in the RTX 2080S card as inadequate?

Paul

Does it need a lot more computer resource to deliver the same performance as TRS19? Time to trade-in the RTX 2080S card as inadequate?

I am happily running the new Trainz Plus on an older laptop with a GTX 1050Ti without any problems. The only significant difference that I have noticed (so far) is that upgrading a very large route from 10m grid to HD grid does take longer.

If the previous version of Trainz+ runs well on your current rig then I would expect that the new version will as well.

My thoughts.

Last edited:
I am currently running tests on the new Drivers Palette - mainly to update the Trainz Wiki document at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_S20_Palettes.

I have found and reported two possible bugs - "possible" because they may be a product of my lack of understanding of what is happening and what should happen rather than actual bugs.

1. If you change a drivers assignment from "Player Controlled" to "Not Assigned" they do not lose their currently assigned train until after the session has been saved and reloaded - not sure if this is a "bug" or a "safety feature" in case you change your mind before saving.

2. If you select the "View Driver Details" button for an assigned driver and then change the Driver Location setting to "Move to Train" you are not given any option to select another train.

My observations.

1. If you change a drivers assignment from "Player Controlled" to "Not Assigned" they do not lose their currently assigned train until after the session has been saved and reloaded - not sure if this is a "bug" or a "safety feature" in case you change your mind before saving.

I got a fast response from N3V QA on that one.

[This is] not related to Train assignment, but rather TLR. When set for "Not Assigned" it will mean the player can not control the driver & corresponding Train, and appears to be working as intended in 122411. It will prevent users from selecting and controlling Trainz that are not "Player assigned" (such as AI driven trains - with pre-set AI or the upcoming TLR - Automatic Dispatch)

The first problem is also not a bug. It is intended for use with the TLR (Trainz Living Railroad).

My experiments with the new Divers Palette and reports from N3V QA have led me to conclude that many of its features, certainly those found in the View Driver Details tool are UI upgrades that are TLR related.

I have installed the update fine but...
Tried the "Update Route" and all ground textures and levels disappeared apart from water layer.
Have created a new one baseboard route and when I try to apply a ground texture the baseboard goes to white and no textures appear.
Running on an iMac 3Ghz Quad core, 8GB Ram, Raedon Pro 2GB, SSD disc, OS 13.4.

Back