Pennsylvania & Berwind, Version 2010 (Large Images)

Thanks Bryin. You'll definitely be a tester within a month or so. There's still a ton of work to do on the route, but I'd like to have someone test the scenery performance since there are a lot of trees and grasses along the ROW. It'd also be good to get some feedback on the operation of the route now that I've signaled it. Give me till xmass or so to get a little more done then I'll send it over for a little testing.

For now, enjoy a shot of Iron City Loadout at the end of the Vonny Branch.

Two boxcars hiding in the weeds await pick up by the next local on this warm summer afternoon.....

-Joe

I think you're all going to really love these next few from my work tonight. Still working on smaller details and such, but here's where I'm at. This is the main line between Juanita and Allegheny.

acbdfaqoz201012050000.jpg

acbdfaqoz201012050004.jpg

acbdfaqoz201012050007.jpg

acbdfaqoz201012050013.jpg

-Joe

Here is what the map is looking like as of now. It's quite large, and as you can see, there's still a lot of scenery work to do, like a lot :confused:. There are still a few branches to lay track for, but I'd say 90% of the track work is completed and isn't going to change much. The bottom left area is Grafton. The top left peninsula is Juanita and just to the left of the outer circle is Allegheny yard. The lower left peninsula is Pleasantville, not much trackage has been laid there. I laid up to Pleasantiville but no farther. The scenery around Grafton needs to be redone almost entirely. It was the first scenery I did and honestly looks like crap compared to the rest of what I've been doing.

If anyone wants a close up of the map in any particular place just let me know.

-Joe

Would you consider replicating the idea that I posted on my tread of an updated larger complex for the Huntingdon Paper Mill?:wave:

Absolutely! I haven't started that area yet, and I'm all for a larger and more robust industry there. My N Scale model RR used to be of a sprawling paper mill complex, so I'm fairly knowledgeable on that particular industry. I've been trying to create larger industries on this version, and that just sounds like it'll fit the bill. :)

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

-Joe

Regrettably, my progress on this route has grinded to a halt. Not really sure why. I think I've lost focus on what the heck I'm doing.

Anyway, I'm offering up a beta to anyone who is interested in checking out the route, hoping maybe it'll inspire me to continue work on it. Send me a PM with you're email if you're interested, and I'll email you the CDP.

The only thing I ask is to not make any modifications to the route without my permission, that includes for personal use. Any distrobution of the route, modified or not is also not permitted. Also please refrain from posting pictures at the moment. This will solely be for testing and motivation building purposes ;).

I would appreciate it if anyone who receives the route to give me any feedback about what you'd like to see or what I should do next, etc, etc.

It should be noted that this route is very far from completion. So don't expect to be able to operate it fully, or enjoy completed scenery. I also can not insure that everything will show up in Native mode as it does on my computer. This is because I have fixed a lot of content and I'm honestly not sure if I used said content on this route. All content should be either on the DLS, RRMods.com, or USLW.com. If you find errors in the content used in this route, a fix should only be to delete lines like "thanks" or other blank lines in the config file. Very, very easy fixes. If you need help, feel free to ask me.

I will also note that there is a huge 'gap' in scenery quality between the Grafton area and mostly the rest of the route. This is because Grafton was the my starting point, and I had no idea what I was doing.

The town of Vonny is probably the most complete branch on the route. Most other areas are spottily done at best.

This route is meant to be run in NATIVE MODE and is 2010 only. An attempt to run the route in Compatibility Mode will result in poor performance and all kinds of strange behavior.

I reserve the right to deny a request to send the file to anyone I don't want to share it with. And there's good reason for this.

Bryinmich, jadebullet and evan123 are obvious choices to partake in the beta if you are interested. As well as Billm001 (obviously), but I don't think you have 2010 yet?

It should also be noted that I am not the original creator of this route. This is a complete redo of BillM001's original Pennsylvania & Berwind Route from TRS2004 to TRS2010.

This will be my first time sending out anything I've made, so bear with me.

Thanks in advance for anyone interested. I'm going to continue to try and work on what I can for now.

-Joe

Thanks in advance for anyone interested. I'm going to continue to try and work on what I can for now.

-Joe

Hello Joe,

Unfortunately I do not have TRS2010 yet so I can't be helping with the testing, although I would love to! I think you should definitely continue with it, you've done so much and it looks absolutely brilliant!

Hope you get some willing testers soon!
Well done so far!!

George

Thanks George. I would really love to keep going with this route, but I've finally figured out what's holding me back.

I am absolutely terrible at making terrain. For the life of me I can not get it right. It just doesn't seem realistic. Maybe someone who does some testing might be interested in doing the terrain part for me :hehe:.

-Joe

Thanks George. I would really love to keep going with this route, but I've finally figured out what's holding me back.

-Joe

You don't look bad at it to me! :) maybe a little more smoothing your splines to get rid of land creeping above the rails, apart from that your scenery in general looks great! If I ever get TRS2010 I'll be glad to give you a hand ;)

Please take a look at my latest WIP and tell me what you think in the comment :D http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=66811

Thanks
George

Maybe a person could edit your route ... and send it back as a CPD to you with the subtle changes in terrain.

That's not a bad idea. But someone would have to want to do that :confused:.

georgem2010 said:
You don't look bad at it to me! :) maybe a little more smoothing your splines to get rid of land creeping above the rails, apart from that your scenery in general looks great!

My big issue is with mountainous terrain. I really don't have a clue about how to lay the track and build the mountain range and have such a nice smooth grade and smooth mountain sides. I always end up with huge drop offs around the track, or really deep cuts that I have a hard time getting rid of and matching the patched area with the rest of the mountains. I have no problem with subtle changes in terrain, just those mountainey areas.

georgem2010 said:
Please take a look at my latest WIP and tell me what you think in the comment

Looks great! I wish I had the knowledge and patience to work from either a DEM or google maps, but I have no idea how to do either.

-Joe

I think your work has been wonderful. I am greatly impressed with how well you have replicated while improving. I am honored.

Thanks!
Bill :wave:

I am absolutely terrible at making terrain. For the life of me I can not get it right. It just doesn't seem realistic. Maybe someone who does some testing might be interested in doing the terrain part for me :hehe:.

-Joe

Why not try implementing DEM terrains and TIGER lines using the HOG utility (if you're familiar with that)? I find it to be a very useful tool for prototypical route building.:)

Last edited:
I should apologize for the huge screen shots. I honestly have no idea how to size them down, and what the standard resolution to use is.

-Joe
Nonsense,
I have a high end computer as well and think these shots are fantastic. I love the detail of the railyard (with the tree in the middle). What kind of track is that? I like the way the clean blends in perfectly with the rusty.

Back