Destroyer

angelah

I don't think I have ever posted in this section before let alone feel confident enough to start a thread haing followed the progress of so many excellent modellers here..
As you may or may not know I have been making content for a few years now, mostly buildings, but have shied away from putting a model on here because of the usual very high standard and I was not comfortable enough to even begin to think I could come anywhere near such people as Ice, and I still don't think so.

But I do think this asset is worth showing, not finished but it is coming along nicely. It is the British destroyer HMS Solebay. I made 2 large scale radio controlled models of this baeutiful ship and am having a bash at recreating here for Trainz. This is all from memory and the pictures I took of my models so is not accurate but is fairly close.

The main deck surfaces are dark green, they show up as black here due to the angle of shot. The foredeck (fo'csle) is red. The lower hull is antifoul red, the props are brassie colour.

destroyer3_zps4c6c866e.jpg

Hope somebody likes it, not sure when it will be finished but it is in TRS2004 for testing on my PC.

Blessings to tou all,

Angela

Last edited:
wow, cool! Always have been a bit of a closet wargamer; it's a fair bet you'll find a tank or two lurking on my routes. I'm trying--and failing--to remember my recognition skills here; Solebay's a battle-class, correct?

wow, cool! Always have been a bit of a closet wargamer; it's a fair bet you'll find a tank or two lurking on my routes. I'm trying--and failing--to remember my recognition skills here; Solebay's a battle-class, correct?

Correct, have a chocolate medal, she's a Battle Class destroyer, now sadly defunct and broken up I believe, although there is an outside chance she was flogged of to some other nation. But TBH she is very old now and as the navy states, not large enough to house the new weapons and defence systems that are now on stream and needed.

Thanks to all who have posted.

Angela

Very nice looking model. I don't remember this particular ship during my time in the RN though, 1972 to 1984, she'd probably been long gone to the breakers yard by then!

A couple more shots of the old girl, much like me she had seen better days....

destroyer4a_zpse9658342.jpg

destroyer4_zpsfdf74446.jpg

A bit more done, twiddly bits really like portholes and Carly raft containers, or are they just called liferaft cylinders or something, it's been a long time since I was surrounded by battleship grey.

No idea what the polys are, I had better take a look.... How much does one put on a ship like this? I am trying to keep detail down as much as possible but there are limits to what can be left off.

Angela

Thanks go to Photobucket for hosting these.

Well the news is that it works fine in Trainz and is only 295Kb, which surprised me. But it had over 18000 polys... Horror!!
I Optimized and dropped that by over 4,000 but it's still a whopping lot and I have more to do yet so it is likely to end up well up the poly scales by the look of it.
Maybe fortunately you won't need many in any one place so that might help. I can't really remove any faces either which would have helped a bit, ah, just thought there are a few but the saving is going to be very minimal and it means pulling the model apart to do it.

I actually meant to put this thread into the Gmax and other 3D shots lot so if a Mod can move it I would appreciate it.

Angela

Finished shots....

HMS_Solebay1_zpsac8bac3b.jpg

Port bow on...

and

HMS_Solebay2_zps7874e37f.jpg

Port quarter on

Alongside a nuke sub.

She is gorgeous but I cannot really send her to the DS due to the poly count. I know folk moan about it so I do not want to add to the discussion.

CDP size is 648Kb but the poly count went through the roof and now stands at 33,189, so not a going concern really. A pity, she is one of my better works.

In fact the polys are on or above the Gmax limit and I was struggling with moving parts about by the end. Getting really close up helps in those situations and the part moves more freely instead of leaping about.

I love her and will use her on my own routes/docks. But if you, the end users, feel it ought to go to the DS then I will send the file up. God only knows what N3V will say when this appears on their doorstep!

This is the problem with older warships, there are lots of things in full view that need to be included such as extra guns other than main armament, life rafts/containers, deck houses and armour plating around them and the stern flag pole, all very noticeable. I could have put a lot more on like life rafts nearer the bridge area but decided to stop at this juncture, enough was enough.
An option is to remover the lower hulls, the parts below the waterline, it isn't seen in Trainz but if she goes into dry dock of course it would look a bit odd... ha ha.

Let me know what you think please.

Blessings,

Angela

Thanks to Photobucket for free hosting.adding text

Last edited:
Warships, etc.

Finished shots....

Port bow on...

and

Port quarter on

Alongside a nuke sub.

She is gorgeous but I cannot really send her to the DS due to the poly count. I know folk moan about it so I do not want to add to the discussion.

CDP size is 648Kb but the poly count went through the roof and now stands at 33,189, so not a going concern really. A pity, she is one of my better works.

In fact the polys are on or above the Gmax limit and I was struggling with moving parts about by the end. Getting really close up helps in those situations and the part moves more freely instead of leaping about.

I love her and will use her on my own routes/docks. But if you, the end users, feel it ought to go to the DS then I will send the file up. God only knows what N3V will say when this appears on their doorstep!

This is the problem with older warships, there are lots of things in full view that need to be included such as extra guns other than main armament, life rafts/containers, deck houses and armour plating around them and the stern flag pole, all very noticeable. I could have put a lot more on like life rafts nearer the bridge area but decided to stop at this juncture, enough was enough.
An option is to remover the lower hulls, the parts below the waterline, it isn't seen in Trainz but if she goes into dry dock of course it would look a bit odd... ha ha.

Let me know what you think please.

Blessings,

Angela

Thanks to Photobucket for free hosting.adding text

Can sympathize with the detail problem - looked up one of my old ship models (VRML of HMS Ashanti, 1962) and it runs 15k polys with line objects (railings, radar, etc. - not usable in Trainz) and 49k with everything fully modeled. That was for 3D CAD, a site which effectively encourages high-poly models. Could be downgraded for Trainz - remove the Wasp, heavy use of texturing and alpha masks for railings, radar, bridge windows, etc., then LOD for distance... but then temptations arise. Are locomotive-like features available for driveable objects like ships? If so, turn "lights" on and the Type 81 radar rotates, "pantograph" settings cause main armament and directors to turn port or starboard and elevate...

Aargh! If I start doing that kind of thing again I'll never get any railroading done! (g)

Looks good Angela - and running "blacked out" means no night mode problems :p !

Don't suppose you fancy doing a narrowboat or two ?

Chris

Looks good Angela - and running "blacked out" means no night mode problems :p !

Don't suppose you fancy doing a narrowboat or two ?

Chris

As you helped me I'll try if you have any pictures or measurements, preferably both.

I experimented with 3 Solebays right near the tracks in a big docks I made together with two other large ships and Trainz didn't even flicker, ran as smooth as you like...!!

Angela

WOW -- Well Done!!!

(I love navy ships, and navy sim type of games so it's good to see this addition to trainz!)

Ish

WOW -- Well Done!!!

(I love navy ships, and navy sim type of games so it's good to see this addition to trainz!)

Ish

Thanks Ish6,
The only trouble is the plys are way to much. Can't get those down, I tried, there are just too many bits on it. Taking bits off would probably spoil the look of it.

Got the number on it now, D 70.

I have put 3 into a small area of a docks with a load of other bits and 2 more big ships and Trainz runs just fine, no stutter at all. Now that surprised me!

I might send it to TPR and see what happens, they may reject it of course...

Angela

Send it to the DLS, it looks great.

BTW that sub alongside Solebay doesn't look anything like a nuke, more like a conventional diesel/electric boat of the P & O class. I was on nuclear subs when in the RN!

Rob.

Hi PWeiser,
Yes, you're right, I almost got carried away myself but had to put the brakes on, so much more on these ships it's unbelieveable! Left all the fordeck fittings off, the winches, anchors and cables and stuff on the Quarterdeck as well. More ought to go around the lower bridge area as well but hey, she doesn't look half bad, I am pleased with the model.
I am looking at some RFA ships right now but the shots aren't that good unfortunately. For those that do not know what RFA means it is Royal Fleet Auxiliary, the 'other' ships of the RN like supports ships, tankers and suchlike. Then there are the more modern classes of destroyers and frigates.... I could go on and on making these...

Cheers,

Angela

...As you helped me I'll try if you have any pictures or measurements, preferably both...

Angela,

Thanks ! It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek remark but I would be more than happy if you are willing to have a go.

I owned a narrowboat for 5 years and would you believe it I can only find 5 photos of it, none of which are even close to useful for Trainz modelling. I'll have a look round the net and see what I can dig u,p I could also contact a few owners who might have plans etc. Could take me a little while to do this, I'll email you when I've got something together.

Chris

Your ship could have several LODs (Level Of Detail) to make it very user friendly, when in the distance the funnel, gun turrets and guns etc. could be square(ish). Railings, if the same colour as the ship will not be noticed in the immediate distance and can be removed and so on. The last smallest LOD can be 2 planes stuck together with one plane 90 degrees across the other on most of the upper deck modules, when looked on anywhere from side on, you can still see the 2 planes assembled that way resembling a box.

Even the hull on the lesser LOD(s) itself can be a box for the last 2 thirds of its length and a pointy box added for the bow. Below the waterline, screws and rudders etc. can not be seen anyway, no need to have these on the ship (unless your ship is placed in clear water). That should bring the poly count within manageable limits, especial when one can see some station buildings or even a particular toilet block on the DLS having more than 30k polygons without any LODs.

Well done with your ship and cheers.

VinnyBarb

Your ship could have several LODs (Level Of Detail) to make it very user friendly, when in the distance the funnel, gun turrets and guns etc. could be square(ish). Railings, if the same colour as the ship will not be noticed in the immediate distance and can be removed and so on. The last smallest LOD can be 2 planes stuck together with one plane 90 degrees across the other on most of the upper deck modules, when looked on anywhere from side on, you can still see the 2 planes assembled that way resembling a box.

Even the hull on the lesser LOD(s) itself can be a box for the last 2 thirds of its length and a pointy box added for the bow. Below the waterline, screws and rudders etc. can not be seen anyway, no need to have these on the ship (unless your ship is placed in clear water). That should bring the poly count within manageable limits, especial when one can see some station buildings or even a particular toilet block on the DLS having more than 30k polygons without any LODs.

Well done with your ship and cheers.

VinnyBarb

Hi Vinnybarb,
You're kidding of course, a toilet at 30K polys...!! That's the same as this ship and Solebay has a mass of detail, not as much as I would like, but quite a lot.

I have not the faintest idea how to make a confi with LOD. If anybody would like to offer advice I am listening...

Itareus,
No matter, joking or not, I will do it if you can find the details. Make a change from a whopping ship.... ha ha. Just mail when you you're ready (willing and able...).

Angela

Thanks Ish6,
The only trouble is the plys are way to much. Can't get those down, I tried, there are just too many bits on it. Taking bits off would probably spoil the look of it.

Got the number on it now, D 70.

I have put 3 into a small area of a docks with a load of other bits and 2 more big ships and Trainz runs just fine, no stutter at all. Now that surprised me!

I might send it to TPR and see what happens, they may reject it of course...

Angela

Hi Angela,

There are moments when I have an item in 3dmax that may contain lots of plys -- this is normal when dealing with angles and curves, however, if you are using 3dmax, the tool that it has come in handy, so to a avoid a specific piece of having too much plys is the FFD tool under the modified list, etc ... You can really shaped things with only 1 plane, etc etc etc!

Additionally, I use youtube tutorials on how to work around plys, etc ... sometimes it might take a few minutes of your time listening and /or following those you tube tutorials (3dmax's), but they do come in handy!

Great work Angela :wave:
Take Care
Ish

Back