HD Terrain Oddity

PortLineParker

UK Route Builder
Hi all,

I'm working on my route using HD terrain and so far everything has been working fine. I selected a section of track today, maybe about a mile in length and applied the smooth option - the game did it's thing for about 10 seconds and then finished the operation but the result is below. As you can see, it has left sharp edges between the track and the cutting. Does anyone know why this is or if it's fixable? I've done other sections of the route and it's never occurred but today it's thrown a hissy. The only way I can think to 'mask' it almost is to lay embankment splines over the top but that rather defeats the point of HD terrain!

jEermyb.jpeg

KzDBgiu.jpeg

Cheers,

PLP

I remember at the time trying to fight it but it wasn't playing ball, though it's only minor on Foxfield so should be able to be hidden with hedges and foliage.

The only thing I can do here is to smooth it out the best I can (not going to be fun as it's all on a curved gradient) and then use some embankment splines to cover the worst of it. I was going to have to use them anyway as the HD terrain cuttings are too steep in places so it shouldn't look too out of place.

Cheers,

PLP

I've been experimenting with different techniques etc. and it looks as if it's an error when trying to smooth the terrain underneath two parallel tracks. If you select them individually then there are no problems at all, so maybe it's the ground trying to level out under each track and then fighting with the other one. At least I seem to have figured it out, though slightly annoying as I now have 3 miles of dodgy terrain to try and hide underneath splines!

Cheers,

PLP

That would probably have worked, but I've sorted it now - going back and smoothing under each track at a time has removed the majority so I can work with the rest. I've still got the embankment splines in place however they'd have had to have gone in anyway as the terrain sides are too steep and it would have taken forever and a day to sculpt them by hand to the correct angle.

Cheers,

PLP

I wouldn't say that, because even if I hadn't managed to sort it yet I'd still be churning away trying to revert it and your method is one that I use quite often to achieve the end goal of a certain topology. I've used that method you mentioned on a couple of areas already to ensure a nice, smooth transition between an embankment and a cutting so it's definitely useful, it just happened that I'd fixed it in a way I'm more or less happy with by sheer luck.

Cheers,

PLP

I'm not sure where this is going... thank you for your suggestion, it was a good one, but I had already fixed it by the time you suggested it. However, if you have any further suggestions in the future please feel free to post them as I and others may not be aware of them and it is always good to share hints and tips with each other.

Cheers,

PLP

Back