K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

hey odd question here, but in your signature, where did you get the NKP Hudson and LV Black Diamond

I built a crude and rather garbage attachment mesh to go over the Hudson. Its bulky in the front because I had to build around the elesco. Took me a good week to actually give the sizing right for the Black Diamond. As for the NKP Berk. Thats the PM Berkshire I kitbashed into a hudson.

looks pretty good to me
101b3bde025c38a0b08426c04beab466.jpg
fea163d3e575772dd596a45923edb9d3.jpg

Hate to break it to ya Steve, but 819 is a oil-burner not a coal-burner. In fact, that new release has the wrong fuel you understand. No hard feelings, just a comment about the fuel.

Correct, all of my oil burners use coal as the fuel in the game. I never found a universal product that all oil burner steam engines use, so I just use the easiest one that most facilities would provide. I tried using a fuel with the CB&Q O5b but that didnt go so well.

Is it bad that I think the 819 looks pretty good with that big centipede tender?
Right??? It looks decent.

Quick question Steve, what is the difference between 819's two tender versions? I've looked them both over, but I can't seem to find any visual differences.
The difference is the whistle tagged to it. In order to make the headlight work in reverse, it needs to have a whistle for it. So the V2 tender uses the same whistle the V2 and V3 engines use, and the V1 tender shares the same whistle as the V1 engine. Other wise, when you went in reverse, you'd hear a different whistle than when you went facing forward.

Hey Steve? Is it possible to program your K4's have ARN?

You can still manually change the numbers to whatever you want by picking the number when you select the engine with the ? button on the train tab in surveyor. If you require an auto assignment, you can by copying the scripts and config code from one of my engines with ARN and paste it on the K4. If I can ever find time to add it to the older engines, they need so much other work to get them even close to resembling my current stuff. 5 years of progress is pretty noticeable. I'm actually afraid to see the K4 and L1 next to the I1sa I have coming later this year.

And yet your 5 year old models are still amazing. They are ageing better than a fine wine.

I second that. Steve, I don't know how much the 819 resembles the GS-1's, but i remembered finding a video of a 7.5" GS-1 and they seem to be rather close in appearance to the 819. Just a thought if you ever decide to think about other SP steam. And whenever you do open back up for commissions, I'd like to have one done. All that aside, thanks for creating some incredibly well done models.

As far as I know its mostly cosmetic differences between the GS-1 and Cotton Belt L-1 series. I do believe Cotton Belt 819 has roller bearings, something the SP never installed on their 4-8-4's.

Actually the SP did install roller bearings on two of their 4-8-4's which was the Gs-5 class which were basically Gs-4's but with roller bearings and a slightly higher weight and tractive effort because of it. I believe they were #4458 and 4459 and from what I can remember one had SKF Rollers and the other had Timken, I cant remember which one had which though. They were identical to the GS-4's the only way you could tell them apart was that instead of stars they had circles on their Drivers and the numbers obviously, but I believe they preformed really well how ever one complaint that I remember reading was that they had to have wheel chocks when ever they were being serviced at one of the terminals because if they didn't the engines would roll away the other problem with them was the fact the US was in the midst of World War II and I think the roller bearings drove up the cost of the locomotive drastically.

Sorry probably should have been more specific, I meant on their GS-1s, not the GS series in general. I am aware of 4458 and 4459 having roller bearings.

For future reference:
4458: Timken
4459: SKF

Alright that makes sense and thanks I always wondered about which one had which bearings.
And Steve 819 looks as beautiful as ever you do amazing work.

Back