New Forum?

whitepass

When I ran TS12 today I found this.

news.jpg

I seem to remember the old forum color being Red ?

I hope this color scheme is not Puce with (orange type on a white background -like TPR) (it's very hard to read uncomplementary colors).

Guys, wow, don't fix what ain't broke...

Actually, if anything is broke, it's the dodgy hosting service used by these forums and the DLS.

Yes the TPR colors are terrible, I hope they don't make that mistake. Let's be optimistic and hope for some good changes such as a better search engine, more reliable servers etc.

I'm hoping that this does not mean a total loss of forum information.

I have at least one important thread on here, that I do not really want to lose. (Luckily, I have a more basic version of it on my tutorial website)

Shane

Does this mean we will be saying goodbye to the nice TS2009/TS2010/TS12 bluish color scheme these forums currently have?

Hi All
This is mainly upgrading the forum software (there are parts that do have issues, which we would prefer to fix), since the version we are running is relatively old.

As to the servers, we've really only been seeing issues over the last 2-3 weeks. We have been working on these issues, however it is in part due to the load on the servers. January tends to be one of the busiest times of the year for our servers, and can sometimes go offline if too many people are using them. This is generally more likely with the DLS on weekends, rather than the forums, however the forums can see large numbers of connections when there are DLS issues as well...

I agree with better search features for the forum, but otherwise I'm fairly content with what we have now.*

*not that I use the forums much....

I agree with better search features for the forum, but otherwise I'm fairly content with what we have now.*

*not that I use the forums much....

And there was me thinking that Eupod was about to hit some magic number on the post count which would crash the forums so they had to change and reset every one to 0 again.

Cheerio John

It would also be nice if I didn't have to log in twice to log in, even though my log in is acknowledged after the first try. Also it would be nice if the "New Posts" feature worked more often than rarely.

I have never had an issue with the forums. Everything works just fine for me and always has. I'd also like to see a better search feature though. I don't even use it very much because it's pretty much worthless. But please, please don't go back to that awful color scheme that we had in the TC days. I think the blue screen works pretty well although green tones might be more soothing and put people in a more helpful and agreeable mood. Variations of red are aggressive colors and don't tend to aid in a cohesive atmosphere.

Mike

Hi All
This is mainly upgrading the forum software (there are parts that do have issues, which we would prefer to fix), since the version we are running is relatively old.

As to the servers, we've really only been seeing issues over the last 2-3 weeks. We have been working on these issues, however it is in part due to the load on the servers. January tends to be one of the busiest times of the year for our servers, and can sometimes go offline if too many people are using them. This is generally more likely with the DLS on weekends, rather than the forums, however the forums can see large numbers of connections when there are DLS issues as well...

Ok, I can understand that - another vB forum in which I participate gets hacked/pwned every now and then due to running ancient versions of vB. But I caution against rebranding these boards with, for instance, a new color scheme.

I have to agree with Superfudd. I get cheesed off when I log in and click on 'New Posts' and I'm told there aren't any, when there are probably 150 or more.
A friendlier search engine would be nice, but having learnt the vagaries of the current one, it's not such a biggy. As for colours....see by by-line.

Cheers

Bob (CRO)

I think the blue screen works pretty well although green tones might be more soothing and put people in a more helpful and agreeable mood. Variations of red are aggressive colors and don't tend to aid in a cohesive atmosphere.

Mike

That's a good point Mike, and from my limited experience with the forums I feel that there is less aggression now evident now than in the TC days. Of course, that could be related more to TC than to the color of the forums! Besides, doesn't everything have to be "green" these days?:eek:

Could this mean the end of Fooly as the longest standing “newest member” who is still languishing in the stats box! He's spent more than 5 months in there so far.

With regard to the search function, I don’t use it at all now. Googling Auran forum plus one or more key words usually turns up what is required very quickly.

Could this mean the end of Fooly as the longest standing “newest member” who is still languishing in the stats box! He's spent more than 5 months in there so far.

With regard to the search function, I don’t use it at all now. Googling Auran forum plus one or more key words usually turns up what is required very quickly.

vB's search feature is notoriously bad. The existing one is actually half-decent but many of the newer versions' search is partially or entirely non-functional.

I STRONGLY recommend, as an anti-spam feature, that you disable new users from posting links in their sig; perhaps not at all. I can ask another vB admin I know if you require a specific plugin or script.

Back