TS 2010 and multi-language

Pendolino

Cab mode weirdo
One of the great issues with 2009 is the presence of several routes where the interface text was not in English. I would like to run the Czech scenarios, but I have been unable to understand what I must do. Since Trainz supports multi-language strings since 2004, could we hope that this feature is fully exploited in TS 2010?

I volunteer to take care of the English-Italian translation of the strings for all the routes and sessions which will be in TS 2010. Some other members of TrainZItalia can also help me with the translation of French or German strings.

this would really have to be the route-creator's move, wouldn't it? what sort of translator could be incorporated which would be accurate enough -- look at the on-line translators and how they might work --

'go to edge and take container auto to machine' -- for, 'go to siding and take boxcar to the mill'... i think it would be as hinky as that.

but, yes, the czech -- and the hungarian and your own too, are very beautiful routes.

this would really have to be the route-creator's move, wouldn't it? what sort of translator could be incorporated which would be accurate enough -- look at the on-line translators and how they might work.

Yes, multi-language it would have to be implemented by route creators. Very few of them, however, care about such a detail. We added it to our "Sherman Hill" route, and I plan to add it to a session I'm making for that route.

I was not thinking about an automatic translation, but to the addition of translated text into the default content.

I think that it would be nice to have the default routes, and their associated sessions (including the HTML pages showing the player what he/she must do), translated in English and, from there, in as many languages as possible. Auran can provide the translators with the text included in the config/HTML files and then paste it again into the routes/sessions before releasing the game. I think that such a feature - together with the multi-language game interface - would be a very welcome addition by all the Trainz Players worldwide.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your generous offers!

The initial online release of TS2010 will be "english only" - we won't have spent the time to localize each of the routes into each of our supported languages.

We will certainly be looking to produce fully localized versions of the game and expect that these localizations will be made available to all customers via game patches.

If you are interested in helping out and speeding up the localization effort for a particular language, feel free to contact us at trainzdev@auran.com.

kind regards,

chris

Back