GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

That would be one of the Yosemite Valley RR 4-4-0s. It is standard gauge. The extra air pumps on the front were added to give them extra braking power as trains of 50 cars of logs were common between the inclines and Merced Falls. And my jaw dropped when I saw it. Im looking forward to that on ballcd's YVRR route

That would be one of the Yosemite Valley RR 4-4-0s. It is standard gauge. The extra air pumps on the front were added to give them extra braking power as trains of 50 cars of logs were common between the inclines and Merced Falls. And my jaw dropped when I saw it. Im looking forward to that on ballcd's YVRR route
Precisely, though in this case these two compressors are all it's got, they were moved from the side to the front for whatever reason, presumably to mount the compressors better. I really like these ALCo Americans; they've been begging to be made ever since computer train simulation was conceived but we've been insane enough to ignore them. :| Perhaps this is because drawings are hard to locate though, I only found drawings for #23 and even then I'll have to fudge the tender. If anyone has diagrams of any other YVRR engines, please contact me and I'll get to them as quick as possible.

Precisely, though in this case these two compressors are all it's got, they were moved from the side to the front for whatever reason, presumably to mount the compressors better. I really like these ALCo Americans; they've been begging to be made ever since computer train simulation was conceived but we've been insane enough to ignore them. :| Perhaps this is because drawings are hard to locate though, I only found drawings for #23 and even then I'll have to fudge the tender. If anyone has diagrams of any other YVRR engines, please contact me and I'll get to them as quick as possible.

Glad to know I am not insane! I was looking at that for a good 20 minutes and I swore it was YVRR, but I couldn't believe it.

Best of luck with modeling it, YVRRs' fleet was a bit of a rag-tag bunch during the later years (still a lot of fun to model). Though, be sure your work will find a home on my computer! :D

cheers

Last edited:
You guys are all amazing. I have tried to use gmax 3dsmax and others and all I can manage is to create buildings in Sketchup.

I am starting to think that this is going to suck to texture:

3af8fd630301e10a5e1d3e4b3e5ac956.png

A bit ambitious for my first large project, but I am hoping this is going to teach me a bit more about resource management and large scale texturing.

cheers!

I am starting to think that this is going to suck to texture:
A bit ambitious for my first large project, but I am hoping this is going to teach me a bit more about resource management and large scale texturing.

cheers!

Looks like LA Union Station from here. Why do you think that its gonna suck when applying the textures?

Looks like LA Union Station from here. Why do you think that its gonna suck when applying the textures?

Close, actually it is Diridon Station in San Jose Ca. For me, the scale of the model is what will make it difficult to texture. The shot is in Sketchup, this is where I do my basic modeling and general dimension scales. After I am happy with the general look, I pull it over to Blender and finish details there and shave off unnecessary geometry. Then I texture and bake shadows before exporting to the game. I have done smaller objects (houses and track), but I have not yet textured something this large and complicated. So, this is going to be a bit more of a challenge to learn how to efficiently texture then unwrap a model with this many redundant geometries.

Finished the interior of the SP Widow Caboose. Going to animate the eggs to slide around on the stove.

Sorry if Im over doing it with 6 screenshots.

a5ece39c79392a69b93ea5994e6f0c1d.jpg

4e519fb1c8d133e33d8012632272ed18.jpg

a031036c25987ae197e2c3a149822061.jpg

2eace4d449f342499670bb1e3001ebaa.jpg

8d03f0a9d0471f579928b497a2c994d9.jpg

3b0caa7e01ac45f5a0b2e60e8c0c9d97.jpg

Last edited:
Close, actually it is Diridon Station in San Jose Ca. For me, the scale of the model is what will make it difficult to texture. The shot is in Sketchup, this is where I do my basic modeling and general dimension scales. After I am happy with the general look, I pull it over to Blender and finish details there and shave off unnecessary geometry. Then I texture and bake shadows before exporting to the game. I have done smaller objects (houses and track), but I have not yet textured something this large and complicated. So, this is going to be a bit more of a challenge to learn how to efficiently texture then unwrap a model with this many redundant geometries.

Well try this, in SketchUp, see if you can seperate each part as groups and once exported to blender, with seprate objects, it's easier to texture. Like what I do with the R160.

Bill you madman :hehe:

I was in one of the 44s at the Walkersville Southern recently, even though that's pretty limited experience with one that certainly feels right.

Thanks guys. Yes it is for my 44 tonner. I have 3 44 tonners as reference. Built in 1942, 1945 and 1946. It's interesting the differences that were not railroad spacific between the 45 (phase IV) and 46 (phase IVa). The differences are subtle but they are their. This cab is for the phase IVa.

Bill

Finally finished this stupid thing. Its impossible to get anything 100% accurate with the program I'm using, still I got close enough.

JxfmnBN.png

Back