Auran why not start a maintenance fee based approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more than real, save a few hamburgers a year and have more fun than nitting the whole yourself.
Look at all the threads on the forum and trainzdev....get real and tell me who is doing all the field work sweat and frustration not auran compared to all the threads I read.
Who has to develop the objects to make it work to ts2009 native mode standards tell me honest who?????

Its almost like you buy a car running hybrid nice topic:

the seller auran hybrid carz says: its running on new bio fuel .....here is an example....... but just an example (not even a good one)

the buyer be aware has to make his own fuel to make the car work hybrid....

the world upside down....yes Australia.

greetzzzz

Roy
It's needs vs wants, two totally different audiences. In your case, there were people who needed a solution that someone HAD to provide. In the gaming world, people have a lot of options for their entertainment dollars including just not spending it on anything at all.

It's needs vs wants, two totally different audiences. In your case, there were people who needed a solution that someone HAD to provide. In the gaming world, people have a lot of options for their entertainment dollars including just not spending it on anything at all.
I see things got interesting before I finished my post.:eek:

What it sounds like you're looking for is along the lines of WoW where everyone pays per month. I've done that, but ended up dropping them because I hated being 'locked in' to one game/ game system.

I Like that Picture too....

where you from Homer?
your the funniest home right? i very much liked that pict.

Roy:hehe:

For those who haven't visited the thread "putting a face with a name" here's Sourdough's Mr. & Mrs.

image5do1.jpg

I like that pic too.:hehe:

Anyway. My opinion is that Auran is pursuing the correct strategy with Trainz. An open Trainz simulation software platform that gets its content from Third party developers and users. Where the problem arises is in the economics Speed and Performance verses the ease of creating content. TRS2004 is a very forgiving platform for content creators. It accepts sloppy created config files and otherwise broken assets for a price in performance. In TRS2006 Auran tried to get control of the content and created CMP which works fine for some and was nightmare for others. The others being the ones who have to fix the content themselves and deal with the CMP bugs. The result was a split in the community TRS2006 v TRS2004. Some very talented creators create exclusively for TRS2004 while others TRS2006. Then it gets more complicated with TC series which was marketed as a regional specialized version with minor upgrades TC 1&2 New York passenger and TC 3 UK steam. The result further fraction of the community. TRS2009 does have the potential to unite the community under one platform but in order to do so Auran chose to go for speed and performance over the ease of creating content. TRS2009 is least forgiving as far as sloppy content goes but has the potential to greatly exceed in performance. Most of the negative feedback centers on lack of content or broken content. This stuff takes time to evolve. The problem is Not development money for Auran but the learning curve for the content creators. Auran has tried to support the content community with the Trainz Dev site and this forum but ultimately the third party creators are expected to make the content not Auran. They do not have the resources to do that and a maintence fee will not be enough to do the job. So in final analysis Auran makes the tools and we do the work. That's the deal and a good one at that.:cool:

I am sorry does anyone have any idea what that joker is banging on about because I have read the post 2 or 3 times and I still don't know what is problem is?

It might be satirical, but I can't extract any actual content from it either...

With regards 2009 Yes there are bugs in it but there are bugs in Windows XP Pro and windows VISTA but are you all running to Linux? NOOOOOOOOOOOO I hear you shout so stick with 2009, Auran know there are bugs in the game which is why they released SP2 which gets rid of alot of the bugs.

Well, I'm a Mac and Linux user, but I see your point. ;) I agree, though - I would not be prepared to pay a maintenance fee in order to get bugs fixed (outside of the First Class Tickets on the DLS); in my opinion the product should be fixed to work as advertised, how ever long it takes.

As an interesting 'aside' how many of us remember the 'issues' with TRS2004, that now, so many can't help but shout its praises from the top of a tower? It wasn't perfect, still isn't, but people let Auran do what they could, with what they had, and they went out and fixed the worst of the problems, given time, I'm sure we, as a community, will learn new ways of doing things (like creating trees, etc), and Auran will do their best, with that which they have, to iron out the 'kinks' in the system, leading to a more enjoyable game that we enjoy.

It is good to think of a solution for the problem. But it concerns here no professional software but a game. The first problem is that it is a niche product . Why do you think that KRS , in the USA, after one year, is already sold for less than 10 USD? Lack of interest. And how do you want someone, who find 10 USD to much , to pay for an annual contribution? And a livable product, that remain 5 years up to date, can only be obtained with a new engine; developing that , with a few man, cost 2 years. Buying an engine elsewhere costs more than it will produce ever. But I have a solution:you write the new engine ; if it looks good, i make content for it . :)

at least we have some normal conversation about different opinions and thoughts

first i would like to nominate sourdoughs pict the pict of the year... it makes me laugh and forget things for a while, very very funny picture.
The last replies show a normal and constructive conversation about ideas, good to sea normal people around open for some kind of exchange of ideas how we can makes things better for all of us.
At least the yellin dogs left for the street again and we can see were this train is heading.
I can see many points and opinions making sense in a way but it is still not providing a valid and sound solution to fundamental problems.
this market segment uses the forums to pick the brains from well motivated and eager people lovin to do this kind of challenge and the producer sees what fit to develop and implement and sell again to those brave customer/programmers/designers.
It might make sense but its not a very logic way of the business.
You buy as advertised and guess you have to hope and help to make the shaky or even missing pieces of the puzzle.
I can imagine though if i had to do this for a living it would be merely impossible coz I not have that kind of (business) attitude. I stand behind what I provide with class and qualtiy assurance.
If aI was a third party payware developer I could not put my eggs in this nest and what i saw so far since 2004 is some real good onces abandoned this wagon ( very sdad though they had real good stuff)
For my personal use, the heck, I have enough stuff to deal with and can make it work.the trees will eventually come and for the time run in compat mode.
The CMP and CM2 yes its a real pain and discomfort but as long as FTP is a lifeline i will sit that one out till I find what wrong or a verrsion appears that makes things work again for me and(many silent) others, for sure.
The Beta, gold and all the upgrades work for me and my routes run like never before just CM2 and CMp so I cannot complain to much right? Out there are far more horrible things happening in the world that will affect all of you guys more than you can imagine and us here in SE Asia too but far much less, trust me.
I hope the best for all of you in this amazin crisis.

Roy

Lets hope auran get things sorted out and make it more

Roy
Thanks, Tommy Cooper a geat fan of mine too.

Jamie
Do you run Trainz on Linux? TS2009 runs better on my Linux box than it does on Vista - problem is I can't get the content manager to work. TRS2006 works well too, including the Content Manager.
Geoff

Roy
Thanks, Tommy Cooper a geat fan of mine too.

Jamie
Do you run Trainz on Linux? TS2009 runs better on my Linux box than it does on Vista - problem is I can't get the content manager to work. TRS2006 works well too, including the Content Manager.
Geoff

No, Trainz is on my XP SP2 machine. Linux remains firmly on my NetBook.

It's Sad, and Amusing, and Pathetic, but;

Trainz is about the only game I know of that could actually use a Maintenance Fee Based approach!

joosten, I got very angry that you are talking about peoples homelands like you were. You had no right to do that. Yes, our economy does have problems, we also elected a new president who is focusing on fixing that. Your post about jobless families and homes, Fentress County Tennessee is the second poorest county in Tennessee, our nieghbor county is #1. Most people here live off of welfare checks, not because they are bums, but because they have no choice, jobs are very few in our county. We too have poor families, do not say such things about the US again, we have our problems too. Helping those families? Yes. We have Churches that collect food for the poor and local clubs also do. And BTW, Rednecks do not like Jerry Springer. They like Nascar, Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr. I shouldn't have gotten so upset, but it angers me when people talk about a country like you did, I feel the same for the UK as I do the US. I still don't know what this thread is about.
Cheers.

Illinois Central

Last edited:
remind you:
  1. get out of your dipers and start helping fix the broken economy which runs not for free
  2. jerry springer is a\I think a US citizen and his low life program a US program loved by rednecks and sorts of and not my kind of stuff,anyway.....
  3. you are to young(14 my god) to have big mouth like that but i remember a saying on the forum: i am responsible for what I say not for what people make of it
  4. I support a fee for getting almost bug free releases(95%) and be able to get service to the core of the program.
  5. if you expect the forum to fix things that is in the best case cosmetic coz the engine and propritary software from auran is not accesible for a good reason
  6. speedtree is not an option or another one as long as auran not has the rights to use and distrubute embedded third party stuff (royalties)
  7. i asked for something constructive comments in my thread not garbage can ready sentences.
see you

Roy

You know something....

The way you want Auran to ask more money from us for "Tech support" is one thing... GET THIS STRAIGHT: I will not have you bashing my country, the people who live here, or anyone else one here who you put down. Seriously. I mean, this may be very well none of my business, but when insults like that occur. Next of all, how the H E Double hockeysticks can we help what goes on in the economy? No. Why? Because we don't have the money to feed back into it. Next of all, what on earth has Jerry Springer got to do with your rude, incompetent, anti-American, selfish, biggotry? I think that the "royalty" items you see in the installments are "CONTRIBUTIONS", NOT THEFTS. Next of all, Auran doesn't need to give out "core tech support for a fee" because it would choke the company when it comes to purchasing the software itself(my honest, up front opinion). Next of all the diaper comment was uncalled for, and to think that everyone in the United States is on welfare is ridiculous. Type properly. And get stuffed. Rudeness towards a group of people is uncalled for; be it Russian, American, Canadian, German, British, etc

Cheers,
Ike

PS- This is coming from a concerned, patriotic, Metropolitan city slicker, so any of the redneck comments to me, would be completely irrelevant. Like I said, get stuffed and be happy there is even a software that exists called 'Trainz'. It doesn't take a fee to fix things and if it does, then your a total ripoff.

Last edited:
So let me see, you think it would be better to pay for some sort of a support/bug removal system that I cannot make heads or tails of than it would be to learn how to fix the stuff yourself. Where's all the fun in that? For the sake of example, half of the fun of owning a bicycle is fixing it when it's broken. In the process of doing that, you learn how to fix it should the problem occur again, and in this you end up saving yourself a potentially great deal of money. Why should this somehow not apply to the wonderful, occasionally buggy world of Trainz?

I will also not tolerate blatant, pointless insults directed at my homeland. While I may live in Germany, I was born in the United States, and I might even die there as well. If you are going to insult my country of birth, I must ask that you do so in a manner that involves the use of proper spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammer etc. I cannot stand shoddily written bigotry!

WileeCoyote

Well said Isaac! I started the whole Jerry Springer thing though. I said it because he belongs on JS. I'll say it again do not EVER say garbage like that about the United States of America. Here is my statement,
I'm an American and Proud of it!
united we stand, thats what makes us great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back