TC3 screenshotz.....

I once posted a photo of my own route with an FPS rate of about 7 and someone commented on my "terrible" FPS. In reply I said that "Trainz is a tradeoff between Detail/Realism and FPS.You can;t have both so Detail would always win in my book". I stand by that remark, and the FPS in my shot seem OK to me.

Lewisners shots show another major problem, why are those FPS so low, whats there to cause that low FPS? In the first shot, i suppose there are several tracks but they are 2D with the exception of the rails, and look as if they use 256 X 256 textures, The trains are quite detailed, but other than that are just some low res, lo poly houses and trees. In the second one just two tracks, a train, a signal box, and signals, alon with some very low detail fencing trees. :confused:
Can we see some shots with cloudy rainy weather and a decent sky? That may give the route a better look since TRS seems to always have overcast light anyways

Nikos, there are quite a few splines on virtually every baseboard, and as Euphod quite correctly points out the telegraph poles are very fps heavy, coupled to that there are stone walls, streams, rivers, fences, country roads, etc, ( which are indicative for this area of England ) which are all splines and a trackside camera every few yards as well, so I can see why the fps is so small, however, as already stated by lewisner, it's a trade off between computer friendly fps, for EVERYONE, or eye-candy and attention to detail so huge it would bring the 3 routes included in the game to a stuttering halt, you cannot have it both ways......And there is some blue sky at Skipton station if you look at my second lot of screenies, and I may take some later of cloudy, rainy, weather, but as it's summer over here, I want to see some blue sky for once, we don't get to see it very often......:p

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:
So where's our TC?? :'( :p

Tom :)

Our version of TC was cancelled, however, we will still be getting an Australian route in TS2009 as shown in the picture below:p

stationdone.jpg

All credit goes to Tony Hilliam for this pic

Tom

@Euphod: Well since its supposed to be a all new program, not a addon to 06 then why cant they raise the minimum requirements? Or even if you look at it as addon then still, a addon doesnt have to have as stringent rules regarding system requirements as a base product, look at Isle of Wight for RailSim, and not how much more detail there is than the default routes.
Wernt there supposed to be some performance enhancements on this version? Cant see any....

@Lewisner: Why should it be that way, a modern graphics engine should be able to handle realistic detailing, take a look at RailSim for example, Lighting, shaders, dynamic weather, animated water oh and 3D cows ;)
I get about 20 FPS leaving paddington and through the suburbs on the Oxford-Paddington route with a HST at speed with all those details so it is really a issue about the game engine, i hope TRS 09 will do something about it. I have a pretty bad system and cant imagine yours being too much worse.
@ex-railwayman: Well in that case there is either a major problem with the whole spline method or the game engine cant handle it properly, kind of a problem when everything is splines........
It should hardly be a problem if TRS had a decent game engine considering they are using a flat alpha textured fence spline with 256 X 256 textures, or smaller.
@Flatohog, that looks very nice but looks to be just a render, will be interested to see some in game shots of TRS 09

To prove my general point, take a look at these shots by Tads from s modifed version of the default Hawkes Junction
Which shows what simple things like good textures and trees can do without impacting FPS, a light use of 3d grass makes the route more realistic and little details like the signalman in the box livens up the scene

2007-11-03_155616.jpg

2007-11-03_161501.jpg

2007-11-03_163659.jpg

That replacement grass looks a little too lush for me given the location.

The trees we used were because when they were placed on the route it was intended to be a payware add-on for '06 and not TC3. We therefore could only use built-in content or stuff we made ourselves. There's a lot of trees to replace on the entire route so we decided to put our efforts into other things. Plus, the ones we've used are a little more frame-rate friendly.

That signal box is wrong for that location.

That 'signalman' should not have a hi-vis vest on.

Of course one of the good things about Trainz is that you are free to modify the routes yourself and don't have to put up with the sloppy, second rate efforts, you get with the game. Or, of course, to play the apparently far superior Rail Simulator.

The Isle of Wight route is 12 miles long and was built in-house by a team working full time. A somewhat different proposition to our situation.

Oh, and one last thing.... it is HAWES junction.

Thaks for sharing your, valid, personal opinion.

Mike

Our version of TC was cancelled, however, we will still be getting an Australian route in TS2009 as shown in the picture below:p

stationdone.jpg

All credit goes to Tony Hilliam for this pic

Tom

All I can say to that is :udrool::udrool::udrool::udrool::udrool: Wow that looks so real, just like the prototype :D Thanks Tom for showing us the pic and also thanks to Tony for the pic ;)

Tom :)

nikos1 said "@Lewisner: Why should it be that way, a modern graphics engine should be able to handle realistic detailing, take a look at RailSim for example, Lighting, shaders, dynamic weather, animated water oh and 3D cows ;)
I get about 20 FPS leaving paddington and through the suburbs on the Oxford-Paddington route with a HST at speed with all those details so it is really a issue about the game engine, i hope TRS 09 will do something about it. I have a pretty bad system and cant imagine yours being too much worse."
nikos1, I have no idea.My machine is a graphics/video game orientated PC and it came bundled with the high-end VG "Far Cry" where I get 125 - 150 FPS. I don't understand PCs as well as some people but it seems to me that if the S & C is 83 miles long by 1/4 mile wide thats 20 square miles of textures, track and scenery.I don't expect things to be perfect, and as I said, the FPS look OK to me.There are some things I will be changing such as the fact that the stations have no lamp posts and too many passengers, but apart from that it will stay as it is.I am well familiar with the S & C and the former Stainmore line and as Mike10 says, the vegetation in your quoted pic looks too green for the area.

Hey guys n gals,the screenshots of TC3 look pretty good to me,the good thing about Trainz is-you can change almost anything to suit your own needs.
One can only imagine the posts about FPS if the route were released as per latter screenshots.Releasing a route with not so complex scenery makes it more viable for the users who don't have High End Pc's.

From what ive read the route is about 80 miles?,a nice little re-texturing project for a few weeks if you want to take the time out and go down that road,or should i say railway.:)

I havn't got my copy yet,ever since purchasing RS,I'm very wary now,don't want to get that ripped off feeling,maybe i'm just over cautious these days?

Hawes Junction alone kept me occupied for months,in a way im glad the team has used the same kind of style,thats not to say it wont get the odd flash of paint here and there for my own benefit.

Top marks to Mike and his team for bringing us this fantastic route and stock,really looking forward to installing this.

Got any more screenshots,just to make me drool that little bit more.

Daz

Evening Star crosses the famous Ribblehead Viaduct going north..P.S My sliders are all still set to Default :D
eveningstarribbleheadpy3.jpg

....And bursts out of the tunnel north of Blea Moor.The signal arms actually bounce when they move, which adds a touch of realism in a remote location like this! I think I may add an Adler for company,,,:eek:
eveningstarbleamoortd0.jpg

Last edited:
Passing Culgaith going north.The detailed wooden platform is a lovely touch here, but the passengers would represent the entire population of the village..:eek:
eveningstarculgaithjv4.jpg

Last edited:
And finally pulling into Carlisle Citadel station.I'm off for a cup of tea now, as there was no buffet on the train...:'(
eveningstarcarlislesy5.jpg

I havn't got my copy yet,ever since purchasing RS,I'm very wary now,don't want to get that ripped off feeling,maybe i'm just over cautious these days?

Got any more screenshots,just to make me drool that little bit more.

Daz

Wonderful screenies Lewisner, that first one is fab.

Daz, I can ASSURE you that you won't be ripped off by purchasing TC3 for a knock-down bargain price, although I can appreciate now you've experienced KRS, that this Trainz version gives you more Englishness for your money......

I've been dabbling of late and added some new trees to the Appleby area of the Yorkshire Dales layout, to do all the routes will take many months, but it'll keep me out of mischief....:hehe:
They work quite well with the older trees included in the layouts, and will enhance the routes considerably. I'm glad that the TC3 team, left us trainzers to personally modify things to our own preferences, it's always nice to add your own accessories to a layout.

Keep drooling.....:mop:

P.S. MIKE AND THE TEAM, I WOULD REALLY LIKE A WINTER-THEMED VERSION OF THIS ROUTE, ANY CHANCE OF PUTTING IT ON YOUR TO-DO LIST PLEASE ?????

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

trainz2008-07-2111-28-09-23.jpg

trainz2008-07-2111-29-41-21.jpg

trainz2008-07-2111-45-28-45.jpg

trainz2008-07-2111-49-16-04.jpg

trainz2008-07-2111-54-23-93.jpg

trainz2008-07-2111-59-13-65.jpg

trainz2008-07-2112-03-40-64.jpg

trainz2008-07-2112-07-36-09.jpg

My own personal To-Do list will be to sort out Appleby East station and - who knows? - extend the Eden Valley branch to Kirkby Stephen (East). I wonder if the UK Rail Sim people would be willing to knock out a TransDem map?:mop:

Stunning shots Lewisner,I like em:)

Thanks's Ex railwayman,those hit the spot just right,please tell me the 40 sounds as good as she look's.It's also nice to see that the brake pipes all connect up throughout the length of the train,and the signals bounce you say?,nice little touches like this makes a the route even better.Many thank's for sharing the goodness.:)

PS,the added trees look really good,wheres that drool mop.

Daz

Regarding pipes on the loco's the steam heat pipes deploy on the 40 when coupled up the MK1's and also if you couple up to 40's together they deploy the correct multiple working pipes and connectors ;).

Rob

Thank's for the additional information Rob,top marks for the scripting folks,it's these features that are generally not added to stock,is it just me who has an unhealthy interest in dangling/connected pipes and coupler's?,or just an eye for detail?,I may need to see a shrink:eek:......again.

Daz

Back