Before you post a thread - READ THIS (Things to avoid doing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - can this be moved to General Trainz and stickied please.

Hi Trainzers,

I realise the thread title may not be clear, but I am trying to sort out a suitable one based on the content.

Meanwhile, I've been seeing quite a few threads/blog posts that are starting to annoy me, as I want to help the affected people, but cannot. In addition to this, it means other users cannot help the affected users properly.

The main reasons for this are:
  • Posting help requests in the Blogs section - this is a problem for me, as I (and others) cannot verify that the user actually has Trainz registered.
  • Unregistered Users - I can understand this for users who haven't bought Trainz yet, but users who have bought it should register it's serial number with N3V at the earliest opportunity, so they can post in the correct forum.
  • Posting in Wrong Forum - I know I've done this a couple of times, but normally most requests for help should be in the appropriate forum and not one of the 'general' forums. The only exception I can see there being is if the problem affects more than one Trainz version, or does not fit in the other forums.
  • Not being clear enough - This is an important one. I can understand non-English posters having trouble with this one, but it is essential in my view that the problem is described in a clear and concise way, in order to get suitable responses. Screenshots can also help with this, but are not essential.
  • Not including system information - This is a problem when the problem is hardware related, or involves the game not running properly, slow etc.
  • Unclear/Too Short Titles - The title is important to describe what the thread is about, and a badly worded title can cause users to ignore the thread or think they cannot help on that thread when they may otherwise be able to. Also, simply posting Help! or similar is unlikely to help others work out what you need help with.
  • Posting Email addresses - this is a very bad idea on the 'general' forums (the ones that can be read without logging in). If a user needs to contact you, they can do it through your profile (which can be accessed by clicking a user's name at the top of a post)
  • Usage of Capitals - if a post is in all capitals, it is seen as shouting, and is a quick way of being ignored.
  • Bumping of old threads - this is fine if you are the original poster of the thread, or have useful information to add. It is not good if you bump a thread with a post that does not belong in that thread. If in doubt, check the date of the last post first.
  • Hijacking someone else's post with unrelated information - this is frowned upon here, and should not be done.
  • Not reading the full thread first (if the thread already has replies) - this is not good, as the original poster's problem may have already been solved, or may be something completely different.
I would like to hear other users views on this subject. I feel that if users followed this advice before making a post, we would have a smoother-running forum, as well as a (possibly) happier forum since problems could be solved or advised on quicker, especially as I know some users will ignore posts that have the problems mentioned above.

Note that I have not mentioned spelling or grammar, as it is understandable for some users (non-English speaking, or users with disabilities) to have problems with this, and most of the time, I can understand misspelled posts.

Shane

Last edited:
Thankyou for your response Jan. I've not personally had any problems with your posts, though. It's mainly new users that I'm trying to educate on how to post in the best possible manner in order to get the best response.

Perhaps a moderator (or even N3V) could help me get this message across to users.

Shane

I will get a moderator to do that one. As I stated in the title/original post, I was not too sure on which forum would get the required attention.

Shane

Last edited:
Could add a bit about not hijacking other peoples threads with unrelated problems and sarcastic comments.

Also, perhaps reading the thread fully before posting and checking to see if what you are about to post has already been suggested and tried or failing to notice that the problem was solved, say five posts ago.

Would be handy if the forum had a facility for adding Solved to a thread title, would make it easier for people looking for a working solution.

Pointless threads can be ignored, no need for everyone to post in it saying it's pointless, as that's just as pointless. ;) If the poster gets no response, they will hopefully eventually get the message.

Many thanks for your response Malc - I have edited the first post to add the relevant information. I haven't yet added about pointless threads though.

Shane

I must post my disagreement with this thread and the subject of it. While it's one thing to advise members to "Please Read This", and then place suggestions that will help others help the poster, it's quite another to assume that Shane Turner speaks for everyone that uses these forums. Now, don't get me wrong as I have nothing against Shane and he is quite helpful, but I feel he may have overstepped his bounds on this one. I cannot support any limitations implied on another's speech. N3V pays for and runs the forums, and if they want to issue some more rules about posting, then that's their prerogative. I have no problem supporting their rules, even if they generally don't. I can't endorse this as a good idea however, and I happen to enjoy the occasional thread that runs off course and invites sarcasm. I don't enjoy certain posts, and when I don't I'm not shy about making the comment. I enjoy being helpful, and I enjoy trying to be humorous, and sometimes I enjoy just blowing off a little steam.

How utterly bland this soup would be without some spices!

You're a good man Shane, but I am of the opinion that you've over reached on this one!;)

No problem - I'm just stating how I feel with things at the moment, and a couple of other users have already agreed with me. Whilst I have no problem with people posting here, it is another story when people post in a way that makes it harder for other users to help them, which is what I'm trying to get at with this thread. I agree that people are welcome to their own opinions though.

Shane

One thing that irks me is when the title of the thread is only one word like "Help" Maybe this could be included as well Shane. More than one word in the Title would be more helpful.

Regards Dave.

I agree - I will edit the first post for that.

Meanwhile I'm hoping I haven't upset anyone by starting this thread.

Shane

I agree - I will edit the first post for that.

Meanwhile I'm hoping I haven't upset anyone by starting this thread.

Shane

Well, you certainly are not the first person to post a list of rules for the forum. You didn't have anything listed that hasn't been pooped about in the past. It's been my experience that any person who sets down rules when they aren't in a position to do so, will rub people the wrong way.....just human nature. Ed's post pretty much summed up my feelings.....:cool:

I think this is more of an etiquette thing more so than rules. However, as it is not in the CoC, it is not of major importance. We will do the best we can with moderating the forums (moving things to the correct places etc) and hope users will double check before posting. That's about all I have to say about that.

Kris

Main problem is you're preaching to the choir - anyone not bright enough to see the forum title "Freeware Announcements" and realize that's NOT the proper place to post help, requests, or where do I find these KUIDs isn't likely to read this. Freeware Announcements should also have subforums for the kiddies, "Hey I got a new IDEA!" and "Hey I learned to use google sketchup, here's my new model which will be vaporware when I can't figure out how to export it and lose interest!" Which also wouldn't work because they would post in Freeware Announcements anyway.

Main problem is you're preaching to the choir - anyone not bright enough to see the forum title "Freeware Announcements" and realize that's NOT the proper place to post help, requests, or where do I find these KUIDs isn't likely to read this. Freeware Announcements should also have subforums for the kiddies, "Hey I got a new IDEA!" and "Hey I learned to use google sketchup, here's my new model which will be vaporware when I can't figure out how to export it and lose interest!" Which also wouldn't work because they would post in Freeware Announcements anyway.

Honesty, I enjoy reading your posts ... Besides expressing true and honestly, your posts are always made with a twist of humor --- "vaporware .... " ... it's so funny ... you put a smile on my face!!!

Good night!
Ishi

Many a truth is said in jest, without even checking I would guess that 75% of the threads in the Freeware Announcements forum never result in a finished asset on the DLS. A little vaporware is common to many games when a kid gets a GRAND IDEA! to build the entire UP from Omaha to LA, but even the more reasonable projects here often fail to make it to the finish.

There's nothing wrong with offering a little kindly advice for posting, and some kindly advice could certainly help many users of the forum. Obviously it's a complete waste of time for Shane however. Most users do not or can not read the COC before they post, they don't search for the answer they seek before they post, and they don't bother to read the "What to Post Where" posts that are already sticky-ed anyway. Sometimes it works out okay, sometimes not, and sometimes hilarity ensues.

I don't think that even a Shane Turner byline is going to change that!:hehe:

Thankyou all for your replies.

Whilst I can see where you are all getting at, I've personally noticed that standards are slipping in the forums, hence this thread. If someone knows of a better way of trying to improve forum standards, let me hear about it, as I may not be the only one who is starting to get annoyed with the way some users (note I said some there) are posting in the forums, and these are the ones that are normally causing most of the negative comments (flame wars etc).

Shane

P.S. Trust me, I would rather be helping more people with their problems, if I could understand them.

Last edited:
If you see anyone violating the CoC, feel free to report the post or PM one of the staff and we will take care of it. For others posting incoherently or in the wrong section, there's not much we can do other than when we see a post in the wrong section, move it to the appropriate one. You may just have to ask them to clarify their issue for you and hopefully they will post in such a way that you can understand what they mean.

Kris

The thing that is being missed here is that this entire thread is based on opinion as none of it, nor the matters being complained about, breach the CoC. On the occasions when the code has been breached the reaction is often swift and decisive so why do we need to initiate any more 'rules'?. On the fact of opinion though, no matter what Shane's opinion is, there will always be others who feel differently. Personally I am of the opinion that we do not need any more rules about forum posts and that if a poster has to be asked for more information to help with solving their problem then thats fine. If nothing else it will increase the forum post count of those posting which some seem to consider as important.

We need to remeber that the forum members represent a vast mix of race, religion, gender, age, social background etc and as such there are going to be misunderstandings on how the forum should be used, where to post certain threads and the like but why is that wrong?

The majority of us are here to enjoy the experience, communicate with 'friends' acorss vast distance, show off our screenshots and help others when we can.

Shane, I can only apologise to you but I really don't think that you will achieve your goal despite its good intentions, as before long this thread will be forgotten about and someone will post somehting in what is clearly the wrong forum but then this is all supposed to be fun isn't it? Look at it this way, I am sure that many users (me included) have been thankful for your advice and handy utilities but based on the post at #4 and your reaction even you have possibly started this thread in the 'wrong' forum.

I intend no offence to any forum user in making this post and am just adding my opinion

Thanks, Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back