$9.95 Trainz at Target in the US. pLus newbie questions.

allenz

There was a post here I think about Target and Best Guy having TrainZ. Well I bought the one at Target and guess what? It's not the full version. It's TrainZ driver edition, North American version. Extremely limited. Especially because the full 260+ page manual in PDF was included.

So it's going back. Anyway I couldn't figure it out at all! Help?

I'm going to look for the full version which apparently Target has in their website for $22.95 or something like that.

What I want to do is find some of those Trams and Subways especially European stuff. I was recently in Prague, Budapest and Minuch. London is okay too.

Do all you fellows (and gals) design your own layouts and rolling stock for these or are they available somewhere. I really like those videos on YouTube! ;-)

By the way, I j8ust put up 2 clips at You Tube of Poznan, Poland Tram and Budapest's historiv metro line 1. I'm ChinaAl there.

I'm just not interested in trains with locomotives. I just retired after 34 years as an engine driver here plus before that Subway driver in Chicago.

Thanks for any help. I'm new here.
Allen

There was a post here I think about Target and Best Guy having TrainZ. Well I bought the one at Target and guess what? It's not the full version. It's TrainZ driver edition, North American version. Extremely limited. Especially because the full 260+ page manual in PDF was included.

So it's going back. Anyway I couldn't figure it out at all! Help?

I'm going to look for the full version which apparently Target has in their website for $22.95 or something like that.

What I want to do is find some of those Trams and Subways especially European stuff. I was recently in Prague, Budapest and Minuch. London is okay too.

Do all you fellows (and gals) design your own layouts and rolling stock for these or are they available somewhere. I really like those videos on YouTube! ;-)

By the way, I j8ust put up 2 clips at You Tube of Poznan, Poland Tram and Budapest's historiv metro line 1. I'm ChinaAl there.

I'm just not interested in trains with locomotives. I just retired after 34 years as an engine driver here plus before that Subway driver in Chicago.

Thanks for any help. I'm new here.
Allen

I'd recommend buying TC plus TRS2006 direct from Auran here.

http://www.auran.com/auran/shop.htm

TRS2006 has the built in content, TC has the latest game engine. Run TC but copy in the missing .ja files from TRS2006.

Currently Auran made an investment in Fury was did not work out so by buying direct they get a little more cash to keep things going, and you get a couple of 3 month first class tickets to be able to download items from the DLS without restriction. When you buy retail Auran gets about 15% of what you pay.

Cheerio John

Hi John

I'd recommend buying TC plus TRS2006 direct from Auran here.
TRS2006 has the built in content, TC has the latest game engine. Run TC but copy in the missing .ja files from TRS2006.

Okay thanks I'll look into buying direct. I don't understand what you said about copying he missing .ja files from TRS2006? To what TRS2006? I uninstalled the North American edition because it wasn't the complete edition. So Ihave nothing in my computer now.

Would I be purchasing the TRS2006 firect then? Isn'tthere a SP2 or something I'd need to get also?

Thanks
Allen

Hi John

Okay thanks I'll look into buying direct. I don't understand what you said about copying he missing .ja files from TRS2006? To what TRS2006? I uninstalled the North American edition because it wasn't the complete edition. So Ihave nothing in my computer now.

Would I be purchasing the TRS2006 firect then? Isn'tthere a SP2 or something I'd need to get also?

Thanks
Allen

Hi, and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Basically, When you have installed TRS2006 and TC, you need to copy some .ja files to give TC more content from TRS2006. When you receive the games, and have registered on the forum, I'm sure that there is a thread here somewhere.

Anyway, all new versions of TRS2006 are fully patched to SP1 already. There is not yet an SP2 for TRS2006, and there are no SPs for TC yet.

Hope This Helps (HTH),

Since your in the USA, I would suggest ordering Trainz Railwayz from target.com. It has TC plus the DVD version of TRS2006 with SP1 already installed.

Since your in the USA, I would suggest ordering Trainz Railwayz from target.com. It has TC plus the DVD version of TRS2006 with SP1 already installed.

But that doesn't give the maximum amount of money to Auran, who need it at the moment, frankly.

There have been numerous versions of Trainz and to add to the confusion some of them have different names in different countries and some have service pack updates.

All come with a small selection of layouts, rolling stock, buildings, vegetation, signals, track and all the other items needed to create the 3D world. These are called built-in items.

A large number of users have created additional items of all kinds. Some of these are available on Auran's Download Station (DLS), and others on the creators' web sites in which case they may be free of charge or payware.

However, almost all of these additional items require a mixture of the built-in items which they use as dependencies. For example layouts use buildings etc, etc, rolling stock uses bogies (trucks in US English) and other items, and so on.

TRS2004 (Trainz Railway/Railroad Simulator 2004) and TRS2006 include the full set of built-in items. However, Trainz Classics (called Trainz Railwayz in the USA and Trainz Railways in the UK) only has a very restricted subset of the built-in items. This means that almost all additional layouts etc will not work with it.

Since you want to download additional layouts, I would advise opting for TRS2004 or TRS2006. Opinions are split roughly 50/50 regarding which of these is best (be warned, it's an emotive issue). They are available as budget software items for about five pounds each (roughly the equivalent of 10 US dollars) in Britain and I would expect the same price levels to apply in shops such as Wal-Mart in the USA.

Trainz (the original version) and UTC (Ultimate Trainz Collection) are very old versions and therefore not recommended. They are still on sale.

As you've found out, Trainz Driver Edition is a severely cut-down demo version of TRS2006.

If you need it, there's a lot more detailed information about all the different versions of Trainz in the Version and Build Numbers section of the Trainz wikibook.

Hope this helps,

John

Last edited:
But on the other hand if you order the Trainz Collection from AURAN directly here then you get all these versions there for under $US50.00 and this will benefit AURAN as well re their current "Fury" situation.

Not bad for 3 individual full versions of TRS plus 4 CDs full of ready to use ready made routes and all their content in it.

Btw, welcome to the forum, where you will get very good advice of all things of Trainz :wave:

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Back