USA Pics

Even so, that movie definetly had some Hollywood artistic license in it. The AC4400CW came in around the same time as the C44-9W as the AC counterpart to the Dash-9, and because they are both made by GE we can assume they have the identical safety features which would prevent the engines from running away. It's kind of like a rising lawn mower. On most new models the engine cuts off as soon as the driver leaves the seat unless the brake is engaged.

The real life Unstoppable was CSX 8888, an older SD40-2 locomotive which wouldn't have such advanced electronics as today's current locomotives to prevent the engine from running away under its own power.

Even so, that movie definetly had some Hollywood artistic license in it. The AC4400CW came in around the same time as the C44-9W as the AC counterpart to the Dash-9, and because they are both made by GE we can assume they have the identical safety features which would prevent the engines from running away. It's kind of like a rising lawn mower. On most new models the engine cuts off as soon as the driver leaves the seat unless the brake is engaged.

The real life Unstoppable was CSX 8888, an older SD40-2 locomotive which wouldn't have such advanced electronics as today's current locomotives to prevent the engine from running away under its own power.

Yep at that time alerters weren't fully implemented in older equipment, of course that incident and some others following led to the quick implementation of alerters.

Another fun fact: nobody in their right mind would put a locomotive into notch 8 just to shuffle around the yard, especially when the switch ahead isn't lined for them. They should have not moved until the switch was lined.
Also, I have a picture to contribute to this thread.

Last edited:
It's always important to remember that, like journalists, screenwriters generally know NOTHING about anything even remotely technical, and are perfectly willing to distort the facts and even lie outright if they can get a "better" story thereby. :(

It's always important to remember that, like journalists, screenwriters generally know NOTHING about anything even remotely technical, and are perfectly willing to distort the facts and even lie outright if they can get a "better" story thereby. :(
Yea.

This is remotely related but I got triggered when the news reporter said Burlington Northern Santa Fe instead of BNSF Railway lol

Better yet, in the very beginning of the movie when they used what sounded like the original EMD 645 startup sound that the 2002 original trainz used on its SD40's as the crank up sound for a pair of very-GE AC4400's, instead of, oh I don't know, just cranking up the AC4400's?

Better yet, in the very beginning of the movie when they used what sounded like the original EMD 645 startup sound that the 2002 original trainz used on its SD40's as the crank up sound for a pair of very-GE AC4400's, instead of, oh I don't know, just cranking up the AC4400's?
I know, right? It boggled my mind, why they would pull a generic sound effect off an SFX library when they had two perfectly good AC44s to use for SFX. And the roaring noises were extremely stupid.

You guys are go WAY too deep into Unstoppable.
It reminds me of the surgeon for whom my mother worked, who would pick apart all of the glaring errors in television series from General Hospital to Emergency. We thought it funny that he actually had time to watch any television at all!

It keeps us on top of our game, I suppose! ;)

Okay where were we....
Oh yeah screenshots

Here's one from a session I was working on for the SBCX route. It's a freight session, featuring a local known as the Allen Turn. It'll be released this year(hopefully:confused:)

One-of-SBCX%27s-morning-rush-hour-consists-passes-UP-2299%2C-waiting-for-clearence-onto-the-Pena-Sub..jpg

Back