What is in DLS?

rhban

Having despaired of ever regaining my last pre-123844-build route, I have begun on yet another attempt. After roughing in some landscaping and some track, I was about to add a couple of stations for a test drive, but discovered there weren't any - well, there were half a dozen CNR stations which have the wrong level of platform from what I am used to in the UK & Australia, plus one other that didn't appear to have any script, and when I looked at Download Station, a large number seem to have disappeared from there too.
Great train routes we can have without stations!

So I have downloaded my favourites - DMT stations, which only just slide into the plus 3500 kuid bracket - but this has been something missing from TANE for ages:
The average long distance passenger train these days has anything from 10 to 20+ carriages, yet Download Station is missing stations with much more than 500m platforms, or maybe they are there according to one scale, but in comparison with the scale of the trains, they certainly do not fit.

And now I'm beginning to see why I couldn't import my old route to trs22. What I've written so far: a bare double track with three stations and no scenery or roads is already over 101 MB. I obviously need a supercomputer to create the kind of routes I am used to.
BTW, there were also no platforms with the current build, so I had to go to DLS again.

I can't speak specifically about 22, but trainz only "includes" a limited number of assets, the ones packed in may be different than what you've seen in previous versions, but its always been limited. That's literally what the DLS is for - the route I'm working on now never had any platforms, passengers stepped up from pavement or dirt to the cars. I don't need or want 500m long platforms.

For passenger stations, you might want to consider using ones that have no structures, just the "stopping point" for trains - so called "invisible stations" and then lay out spline platforms and station builings to suit your route.

I can't speak specifically about 22, but trainz only "includes" a limited number of assets, the ones packed in may be different than what you've seen in previous versions, but its always been limited. That's literally what the DLS is for - the route I'm working on now never had any platforms, passengers stepped up from pavement or dirt to the cars. I don't need or want 500m long platforms.

For passenger stations, you might want to consider using ones that have no structures, just the "stopping point" for trains - so called "invisible stations" and then lay out spline platforms and station builings to suit your route.
I never wanted pre-built stations, although when the Harlem Line was still in DLS, its stations did save a lot of time. I usually use DMT invisible station as, to my mind, they give the best distribution along the platform of passengers - some of the early ones clumped them all in the middle whether there were 2 or 200!
Anyway, after seeing how huge a file is created for such a small amount of track, which involved serious slowing down of the creation process, I think it is time to leave this game. Perhaps it works better in Windows, but I can't see myself buying another computer - I haven't got room for one anyway.
I love the first version I bought "for Mac", which I think was basically Trainz12 and all the versions up to the present have been fine, but it is becoming clear that the latest "improvements" are just too much for my 27 inch Mac.

Still going despite everything. Currently searching DLS for a platform light that incorporates a station name. I know I've seen one before, but I'm not doing well at guessing the exact name. Does anyone know of one suitable for trs?

Still going despite everything. Currently searching DLS for a platform light that incorporates a station name. I know I've seen one before, but I'm not doing well at guessing the exact name. Does anyone know of one suitable for trs?
You mean like this?

<kuid:234086:101603> BR(S) Lantern Platform Lamp with name (BR)

It's on the DLS.

AH! Tried it nevertheless but it comes out too dark so that the name is only just readable from close-up. Pity. I still think I've seen a more modern looking lamp, but no doubt that is out of date for this game too.

Back