"Kitbashed" Industry show & tell (1360X768)

LOL . . .

This is the DOWNSIZED result after using Google Earth to check out the Los Angeles harbor. They have a number of container ports with dockside rail service . . . my route only has one. Each container port in LA has 6 to 8 transfer tracks that are 2000 to 3000 feet in length. I've also been watching the "American Port" series on Discovery HD channel . . . which didn't help in trying to keep my container port small.

I started out with a couple of dockside cranes but that was just not enough. The size of the container yard visually makes the cranes look more to scale. The real ports have hundred of the specialized tractor/trailer rig to pick up containers from dockside, then transfers the containers for temporary storage, immediate rail transfer, or immediate truck transfer. As I understand, a typical container port has storage capacity of about 20,000 containers. Thousands of containers go through a typical container port daily.

Frame rates . . . $%^&*%^&*^&)(*&@#$ YUP, it drops but not by much . . . compared to other parts of my route. I'm getting 12 to 13 fps in the port area.

Just think . . . about 3 or 4 years ago, something of this size was not possible at more than 1 or 2 fps ! :hehe:

:wave:
fordworks2qb6.jpg

I Bet the drivers would have had fun getting down that "grade" to the MI to the left of the picture:p .

Anthony

I just finished the Auto-rack loading area just past the container port. I also finished the surrounding areas.

This facility is less than a mile from the docks where the cars are unloaded from the ships. This loading area is used by several Asian auto manufacturers for models that are not produced and/or assembled in the USA.

It only has 4 loading tracks (8 to 12 loading tracks for prototypes). 2 that can handle 8 auto-racks each and 2 that can handle 12 auto-racks each. The ProtoLARS track is located at the end, just in front of the loading ramps. This makes for some tricky driving in cab mode . . . its too easy with DCC.

There really isn't much in the way of "kit-bashing" for this facility. Just past this facility is the new refueling depot for eastbound locos. Screen shots in the next post.

Here are the screen shots from the area just past the auto-rack facility, including the new diesel refueling depot and the adjacent park.

Comments are welcome . . . show us your industries !

"0099" The Drivers had no problem with the gradient because there weren't any! The connection was a 1 in 4 cable worked incline.The Mill had a couple of diesel locos, but these were cofined to the mill itself.I have recently obtained some more accurate maps and photos and I am completely rebuilding it (photos to follow).:cool:

Just finished my San Pietro Port area.

Behind the oil tanks you saw in the Auto-rack loading area is my imported crude oil loading facility. This is just one of half dozen crude oil facility in the Port f San Angeles but this one is served by S.C. Western.

There are two loading tracks that can each load 18 50ft. tankers in less than 10 minutes using Proto LARS. The cnsist would be 54 tanker train. They will be delivered to two refineries (future build), each about 45 minutes drive away from here.

I'm sure you recognize all the kit-bashed pieces . . . all found on DLS. The only custom items are the re-skinned road splines that cover the tracks. They are re-skins of roads by "bnsf50". If you have Photoshop or Paint that can work with .tga files, its pretty easy to do.

I'm done with industry building for a while . . . other parts of my route needs my attention.

Here are some screen shots of the adjacent port area on the way out from the crude oil loading facility. It goes back to area where you exit the port facility for the container trains and the auto-rack trains.

I'm back ! Thanks TS2009 !

WARNING ! Images are up to 1920x1080 ! After you click on the thumbnail and the Image Shack pic opens, click on the pic to enlarge to the original size.

I've been away from TS2006 almost 8 months. Yes I gave up on working on my HUGE route in 2006 due to the 2GB limit giving me fits.

Since the release of 2009 Beta, which I immediately ordered, I have been chopping up my Huge SCW route into 3 pieces. So far its been successful and 2009 is allowing me to continue my build . . . although as a series of routes with a common main San Angeles yard.

In the meantime, I purchased a new faster computer and a new GTX280 card with 1GB video RAM. I am seeing FPS on my route that is up in TRIPLE digits in some places. Still, in the very complex areas it is the 14 to 27 FPS . . . an improvement from 3 to 10 FPS in the same areas.

I also purchased a new 46" 6-series Samsung HD monitor as my new computer monitor for Trainz . . . and to watch HDTV and Blue Ray movies. I found out that when Wndow's native resolution and the monitor resolution match, you gain FPS performance . . . 30% more in my case. That is why my Screen Shots are up to 1920x1080 in size.

This is first industry competed in TS2009. I am still missing the "trackside eye candy" stuff, but otherwise its complete. It is the "Hostess Cakes" giant plant. Hostess Twinkies are now made in California !

The industry recieves large amounts of flour and corn syrup, the main ingredients in bulk. Othe liquid products in bulk is vegetble oil. Food coloring, flavoring and other ingrediants are delivered as drums on pallets.

I'm sure you recognize the buildings and objects used to kitbash this factory together.

I have three other industries nearing completion. I'll post those when they are finished.

Hope you like it.

Post some of your industries.

TV show inspired Industry

Just finished my latest industry. This industry was inspired by an episode on "Extreme Trains". The series is shown on the History Channel in the USA, maybe some of you saw it.

The inspiring episode featured the "produce express" that runs from Walula, Washington to New York in 27 hours. It is run by Union Pacific. They did not mention how often the train runs but I would think 3 to 4 times a week. A consist of about 70 or 80 cars leaves Walula for the East Coast.

The warehouse is run by a company called "RailEx". Trucks deliver produce from surrounding farms already on pallets, ready to load into reefers. The warehouse sorts and loads the produce into the reefers. The facility has fully enclosed loading docks.

I had to have a "produce express" on my route. In my virtual world, "RailEx" has a Southern California facility. This is it. Complete with enclosed loading dock and refrigerated warehouse area of about 3 football fields.

All buildings used are on DLS, although I had to darken the loading dock to fit in with the rest of the scenery.

WARNING : up to 1920x1080 images

Hope you like them.

Back