UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

It might not look much but this is my attempt to model the Victoria Bridge at Penshaw on the Leamside Line and it consumed about 6 hours work. The next step is to figure out if I can reskin the Arched Viaduct Kit to look like the SAM Bridge Abutments. The real bridge took just 2.25 years to build , opening in June 1838 and cost the equivalent of £3.72 million in modern money. In typical BR fashion it was refurbished in 1989 and the line closed 2 years later.

Victoria Bridge NER C Class 6.5.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Evercreech Junction has received its own custom signal boxes - a few hours work each all in all. First up Evercreech Junction North 'box - this protected the junction between the main line and the branch and also controlled the upper yard. This box burnt down on the penultimate day of operation under mysterious circumstances leaving only the stone base and lever frame, and there are pictures of S&T engineers working besides the charred remains to reestablish communications with the rest of the line to enable to last trains to run. Of interest here is the middle landing, designed to facilitate token exchange on both the mainline and the loop line running behind the 'box.

v1oCNQA.jpeg

Evercreech Junction South 'box was the more photographed of the two, and is my favourite. It's quite a tall 'box in order to afford the signal man a clear view of the station over the footbridge. This controlled the lower yard and the various sidings. Of interest here are the signal box steps - the signal man gained access to the box from a landing on the footbridge, after which a short bridge connecting this landing to the rest of the 'box provided access. An interesting (unique perhaps?) design and one that exemplified the unique characteristics of the S&D. Pilotwoo is kindly working on a footbridge model with the panel taken out to enable a clear passage.

ZG4hQrk.jpeg

GxPApkg.jpeg

Cheers,

PLP

Back