UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Seaton Bank Head was the top of the gruelling 1 in 39 climb from Ryhope station and although the box here closed in 1937 through the magic of Trainz it liveth again. I have a copy of a line plan from 1875 and at that time it had a network of sidings connecting with the Rainton & Seaham Wagonway. Here's V2 60975 passing southbound with a diverted passenger train, regular services having ceased in 1952.

V2 at Seaton Bank Head 24.04.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
I see from the 1896 25 inch to the mile map in the NLS that "The Long Run" of the Rainton and Seaham Railway was present but that it had gone by the time WWI started, with the 1914 survey being published in 1919.
It was not the first, nor by no means the last colliery branch to succumb to closure in County Durham.

Johnson's "North Eastern Steam" (Ian Allen 1989) has a shot of J27 No.65869 taking the gradient at the other end, near Ryhope. The regulator is fully open and the trailing load is around 12 empty 21T hoppers with a brake van. I imagine that it was not a favourite turn for Sunderland shed Firemen.

the same book also has a shot of a hard working snowplough-equipped Q6, No. 63395 with a trailing load of 16T mineral wagons bound for South Hetton Colliery taken between the sie of Seaton station and Seaton Bank Top.

Last edited:
xnIzQeo.jpg

I have gone in to my County Durham TransDEM route and rustled up an interpretation of Seaton Bank Top pre-WWI.
A Worsdell T Class 0-8-0 is bringing a trailing load of empty 11, 12 and 17 ton hopper wagons past the signal box.
To the left of the screenshot you can see the eastern end of "The Long Run" from the Warden Law Engine.
On the right of the screenshot are the loops at the top of the bank which ran down to Seaham Colliery and Seaham Harbour.

Last edited:
A lot of what I'm doing at the moment is correcting my earlier work. Millfield station was one of my childhood haunts ; it closed in 1955 and when my late father and I walked to the town I was fascinated to know what lay behind the filthy and boarded up windows. This morning I decided to improve it and hit upon the idea of using 4 x Station Building5 by Hiskey underneath "corrugated iron roof end" and it looks a whole lot nicer. The station building was demolished in 1975 and the line closed in 1984 but was reopened for the Metro in 2002.
In real life the fence on the right was made of old sleepers tied together vertically - if anyone knows of one on the DLS please let me know .

Class 108 DMU at Millfield 26.4.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice screenshots, but have you tried using FRAPS or Bandicam, or even steam (if you have the steam version of the game) to capture screenshots in full screen instead of what you're currently doing?

Nice screenshots, but have you tried using FRAPS or Bandicam, or even steam (if you have the steam version of the game) to capture screenshots in full screen instead of what you're currently doing?
Or even <Sift> <Printscreen> then paste it into a graphics editor.

John

Last edited:
1fRmAt9.jpg

A North Eastern Railway Worsdell P2 Class 0-6-0, later LNER Class J26, begins the descent from Seaton Bank Top in County Durham towards Ryhope and on to Sunderland.
At this time, around 1904, the Durham Coast line is not yet open, though it was getting close to completion.

Lewisner, the only railway sleeper fence I found on the DLS was a horizontal one and it is Australian with no "thickness" to build 3.5.

Back