UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Devil's Hole yard above the long gradient down to Cairnrigg is a good trainspotting location, though I think Bob, Harry and George are supposed to be working and not looking at ex S&DR No.161 'Lowther'.
I'm really pushing things having ex Stockton & Darlington Bouch 4-4-0's on 'Cairnrigg to Balessie' as they were all gone by the 1880s, but I don't care because I like them.

5eL5RsQ.jpg

Nice to see your S&DB 4-4-0 out and about Annie! I'm quite a fan of these 8 Wheelers, they look like some of the best of Paul's locomotive assets. I might haul out my old model of his SR Maunsell L1 Class once I get a bit more of the South London Area done. It's an excellent piece of equipment as well!

yfKZbTM.jpg
[/IMG]

In the spirit of the coming cold snaps that are certain to follow in the weeks to come, I decided to take Dearnby and District to the winter months of the first Welsh Snowfall. In the final year of the 1800s the LNWR began it's illustrious boat train service to Liverpool where Cunard's liners were based for fast and relatively easy transport to the southwest was available. The LNWR and LSWR shared the service by providing alternating trains between Liverpool and Dearnby Central under the moniker The Cunarder.

LcwymaL.jpg
[/IMG]

BKZ7qC6.jpg
[/IMG]

8HvV9rm.jpg
[/IMG]

Leading the last train of the season before ice makes intercontinental shipping difficult is LNWR Improved Precedent No.790 - also known by many as Hardwicke. LNWR 2-4-0s weren't unheard of during this period but Hardwicke was a Rugby based locomotive at this point so it was quite a ways from home. Towards the end of it's working life it was workings secondary services in Birmingham pending a withdrawal from the LMS. Fortunately, due to a critical failure of a Problem Class at St.Bennett was able to take the little wayward 2-4-0 in for a time which ultimately helped it on it's way to being earmarked for preservation.

But today, it's just a stand in for the usual King George that handles the train. The train is packed with holiday-goers and international travelers looking to spend Christmas in Dearnby Town. As shipping has ground to a halt, so have many of the businesses in the Dearnby area have closed as well. However, the Westacott Dairy and Creamery is working nonstop to keep up with the demand for dairy products before Christmas finally hits. The Dairy's shunter No.7 Nellie is hard at work as the boat train passes.

35EgQMK.jpg
[/IMG]

vyh1d1U.jpg
[/IMG]

kaq6VdO.jpg
[/IMG]

rbTJAqB.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Very nice to see a LNWR 'Precedent' in Trainz Tanker, but if my eyes don't deceive me the nameplate is in the wrong position. It should be curved in shape and mounted above the LNWR crest. That grumble aside where on earth did you get 'Nellie' from? I was very surprised to see that famous little blue loco in your screenshot.
There were a number of turn and turn about joint workings that the LNWR was involved with and they can be a lot of fun to represent since they add additional colour and interest to the pre-grouping scene.

Yes the Bouch 4-4-0 is one of Paul's. Quite an old model now and it took a little fettling to get it to run nicely in TRS22. Deciding to create a NER session for 'Cairnrigg to Balessie' has led to me digging out my NER locos and rolling stock and giving them a tidy up and refresh; - some of them haven't seen virtual daylight since I was running TS2009!.

Very nice to see a LNWR 'Precedent' in Trainz Tanker, but if my eyes don't deceive me the nameplate is in the wrong position. It should be curved in shape and mounted above the LNWR crest. That grumble aside where on earth did you get 'Nellie' from? I was very surprised to see that famous little blue loco in your screenshot.
There were a number of turn and turn about joint workings that the LNWR was involved with and they can be a lot of fun to represent since they add additional colour and interest to the pre-grouping scene.

Yes the Bouch 4-4-0 is one of Paul's. Quite an old model now and it took a little fettling to get it to run nicely in TRS22. Deciding to create a NER session for 'Cairnrigg to Balessie' has led to me digging out my NER locos and rolling stock and giving them a tidy up and refresh; - some of them haven't seen virtual daylight since I was running TS2009!.

I definitely could tell it was one of Paul's. The way the wheels are designed and the particular shade of green are hallmarks of his locomotive creations. Its a very smart locomotive and I can imagine it's very fun to run about! :)

In regards to the Improved Precedent, I am not quite sure why the nameplate is sitting on the bottom like that. They are definitely supposed to arc over the wheel splasher as was standard with all LNWR named engines. I recall Connor's Hall Class has a similar thing going on with a straight nameplate instead of a curved one. Maybe a stylistic choice?

Either way, I adore this model. The detail on it is just right for it to fit in with Ed and Camscott's rolling stock and performs admirably. I had hoped Ed might be interested in having a go at the Class sometime but this was an excellent alternative that I quite like on my route! :D

I had to do a lot of research and mental gymnastics to justify LNWR traffic in GWR and LSWR Territory. Although the LNWR had a enormous presence, it stopped primarily at Birmingham. Normally, the only thing that would reach that far would be wagons or the occasional coach or two on a GWR boat train. However, I read in one of my MSWJR books that before striking a deal with the Midland Railway, the LSWR was offered a similar contract by the LNWR, but that never took off for whatever reason. I'm not sure if that's entirely true but I was able to justify the LNWR presence by signifying it as an extension to Mold Junction.

The Precedent is a bit more difficult. By the time of the LMS most of them were secondary or spare locos and had them scattered across the network. (I believe Birmingham had six) with little record of their specific allocation. This is true even for a famous engine like Hardwicke.

I'm not sure where Hardwicke actually was during that time period . Some sources say Carnforth, others say Crewe. I choose to believe that (due to photos from that time period and age old documents) the little celebrity was sitting cozy at Manchester where it took many secondary trains around the LNWR Network as it did for most of its life under the LNWR.

Oh and about little Nellie.. She's one of Knucklesnvectors designs. Looks like he made three little 0-4-0Ts based on the Triang starter locos and they are sitting pretty on the DLS. Very useful for private shunting indeed!! :hehe:

Last edited:
Research is always good and often fascinating, but when it comes to layouts that are plausible 'what ifs' or imaginary constructions built in folds in the map I think that history can be bent a little and locomotive allocations can be shifted about a little from where they should be. I certainly don't have a problem with a LNWR 'Precedent' working into your version of Dearnby and your reworked history notes look good to me.

'Nellie' has been found and downloaded and she can be my new contractor's engine for layout construction. Thanks Tanker.

H2LCmLj.jpg

Research is always good and often fascinating, but when it comes to layouts that are plausible 'what ifs' or imaginary constructions built in folds in the map I think that history can be bent a little and locomotive allocations can be shifted about a little from where they should be. I certainly don't have a problem with a LNWR 'Precedent' working into your version of Dearnby and your reworked history notes look good to me.

'Nellie' has been found and downloaded and she can be my new contractor's engine for layout construction. Thanks Tanker.

H2LCmLj.jpg

Glad to see you found her! She's become quite the little helper in Dearnby and I can't thank Knuckles enough for making her! I'll probably find uses for her sister locos at some point but Nellie is strictly a private shunter for Dearnby Dairy now!

When I first started laying down lore for Dearnby and District I took note of the landscape and where it would fit in best if it existed within the United Kingdom. After going over the ports along the coast, I figured it was most definitely the kind of port one would find on the west coast, particularly near the areas of Cardiff and Burnham on Sea. This made it possible for me to set much of the history and chronological order of things in my in alternate timeline of Dearnby. Although I try to stay away from famous locomotives like Hardwicke, Mallard or Stepney due to historical inaccuracies, there are times where a few slip through the cracks and make an appearance at Dearnby. Hardwicke is one of these for sure. I do suppose it's part of the fun of Dearnby - it can be anything you want it to be. ;)

While I am still working on the South London Area, I am continuing my Dearnby sabbatical by working on a section of line for Lataxe's 3rd release of Dearnby and District. I've been doing some running in on the new section of line during the latter days of Dearnby Steam in the 1960s.

GvUEkoA.jpg
[/IMG]
WYtFX9X.jpg
[/IMG]
DlvzCiY.jpg
[/IMG]
0aSSHvA.jpg
[/IMG]
preDuvK.jpg
[/IMG]
uEQqGQm.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi KontagaGirl one for you not sure if your seen this one empty interior and uses working loco cab running backwards but is standard gauge
DWWR Railmotor Nio.2

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics Tanker - is the Std 5 available anywhere please? I can see reference to it on Steam, but that's about all I can find.

Meanwhile, double trouble on the Minehead Branch

51785108637_601ea1041f_k.jpg

As a pair of of Mickey Mouse 2MTs wait time at Bishops Lydeard.

With thanks to the original author I have permission to upload the reskins to the DLS so they'll be available in a day or two.

Last edited:
Nice pics Tanker - is the Std 5 available anywhere please? I can see reference to it on Steam, but that's about all I can find.

With thanks to the original author I have permission to upload the reskins to the DLS so they'll be available in a day or two.

WOW!! Talk about a fantastic reskin! Turning the Ivatt 2MT into a Standard 2 Mogul was brilliant!

Of course I can share the link with you! Its one of Connor's new models on his webpage. Here's the link:

https://ironcladinsteam.wixsite.com/britishlocoworks3d/models

Definitely a worthwhile locomotive. Connor put a huge amount of effort and work into this and it shows. I can definitely say that this is one standard I'm going to be running on my Southern Region route for years to come! :D

A little more Dearnby before my SR Project Update. Dearnby Central Sheds Circa 1962:

The Western Region has done away with most of it's steam engines. Only a Castle, a 4300 Mogul and a handful of tank engines remain. The Western half of the sheds now houses all the remaining Southern Region steam locomotives on site. The left side of the MPD that once housed the southern steam locomotives has been turned into a diesel pit for the Western Region's newest traction. At this point in time the allocation is two Class 41 Warships, three Class 35 Hymeks, two Class 22 Baby Warships, and a Class 07 and a Class 12 Shunter.

61bLHdp.jpg
[/IMG]
sYLqrBv.jpg
[/IMG]

Even so however, the steam shed at Dearnby hasn't lost too much of it's former glory at all. The crews and workmen at Dearnby still prefer and highly value steam traction and are dedicated to keeping it running despite the Ministry of Transport and the Board of British Railways protests. As a result, many locomotives have found a new lease on life in the Dearnby Region.

R7Bp0kB.jpg
[/IMG]
AgeDY4c.jpg
[/IMG]
0N9vcsa.jpg
[/IMG]

Still on shed in the waning years of steam, King Arthur Class 30451 "Sir Lamorak" is leaving the yard for its turn of duty. The former P14 has been in service for nearly 50 years with its brother No. 30449 "Sir Torre". Although 30449 was withdrawn a few months earlier, both 30451 and its cousin S15 Class No. 30438 are still in steam and well looked after. As it leaves the yard it passes by the two other express passenger engines on shed: GWR Castle No 7020 "Gloucester Castle" and newcomer Britannia Class No.70014 "Iron Duke". The latter of which is on loan to the Southern Region until 1965 when it was transferred to the Midland Region. Dearnby Central would continue to retain steam until its end in 1967.

9PnubER.jpg
[/IMG]

epl23ZH.jpg
[/IMG]

While Sir Toby claimed that the reason he crashed was to avoid colliding with a deer, many believe that he had just had a bit too much to drink at Miss Sophie's birthday and new years party.

It was the same procedure every year, apparently.

eIuPvFd.jpg

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas time and hope you all will have a wonderful new year, cheers one and all! :)

Wow. That screenshot is incredible. Happy New Year, everybody!

And now something from me - a quick test of TRS2019 on my laptop. Is it the prettiest picture? Ehh... Settle & Carlisle isn't the best in TRS2019, but it still looks very nice. But... yeah. I bought TRS2019, and I have both it and TANE at the ready on my computer in macOS Monterey. And... surprisingly, TRS2019 performs quite nicely. (And yes, I do have TRS22 - I'm just gonna run TRS19 until my new laptop arrives.)
jvPQ1La.jpg

Last edited:
Testing out the SnC and the PBR Duchess in the TRS22 beta. Surprisingly, the beta works much better than TRS19 SP4 on Monterey, so... I'm gonna use TRS22, thank you.
DLqwkU4.jpg

J4Dfq3b.jpg

More testing out the Duchess on the SnC... this time, I made a maroon Duchess of Hamilton running light engine in the rain. Although I'm not all that happy with the fact the tender has a Cycling Lion (even though the earliest BR maroon Duchess was painted in 1958, and the Ferret and Dartboard crest was - I'm pretty sure - made in 1957), I still really love the PBR Duchess. Plus, TRS22 is very stable - and, honestly, more stable than TRS19 Platinum, so when my new laptop arrives, I'm going to straight away start using TRS22. I really love it.
c3eyvrl.png

t5u9HX4.png

Some really good screenshots being posted here lately, - nice work gentlemen. Always good to see what you are up to on Dearnby Tanker and news of newly refreshed Ivatt 2MT's is always welcome.

#5037 Interesting to read your appraisal of the new PBR Duchesses Mr King. I have the older versions stashed away as well as some by GP Locos, but haven't done anything about downloading the new ones yet.

I'm taking a holiday driving pre-WW1 Baldwins over the High Sierras using the 'advanced' steam controls at the moment so you most probably won't see any screenshots from me until I've got that out of my system.

Minehead? - that caught my interest since I have a long term project doing a 1880's version of the branch. The Ivatts look good Val, but I had a problem with TRS19 SP4 not liking the green one's normal map. I fixed it by using the normal map from the black version which seemed to work Ok.

Last edited:
Testing out the SnC and the PBR Duchess in the TRS22 beta. Surprisingly, the beta works much better than TRS19 SP4 on Monterey, so... I'm gonna use TRS22, thank you.
DLqwkU4.jpg

J4Dfq3b.jpg

Very good shots of the Duchess Andrew! I remember when the BR Express Blue Duchess was an exclusive livery for Steam's Version of TANE! I'm so very glad they decided to include it in the payware pack once it got released!

In keeping with the spirit of the frosty weather theme, I decided to dig out Neville's original Dearnby Winter Diorama and run some 1920's GWR on it. I haven't had much of a chance to run in Adderly Hall so I figured now is as good a time as any! :D

RtFtzjK.jpg
[/IMG]
lTesJfr.jpg
[/IMG]
w8t2ngi.jpg
[/IMG]
CAmE9OU.jpg
[/IMG]
V8yF6J9.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice shots all.

Annie - what was the issue with the normal map please? I'm a bit worried because they're virtually identical and both where created in SP4. It looks like this on my PC:

51796182288_359b59db2f_k.jpg

Ivatt 2MT on a down train near Combe Florey, Minehead Branch.

I've been working on a modern day Trainz version of the Minehead branch for longer than I care to admit, but it does provide a good excuse for regular visits to the real thing!

Last edited:
Some more Duchess on the SnC in TRS22 shots... hope nobody's bothered by that, I just really love this. This time, we have City of Leicester running on the Ribblesdale section of the line as a blizzard begins. I simply cannot tell you how much I love this loco.
u9rQeu8.png

ffb5637f-607c-4a9d-a3c4-ae181f84f9b8

8P57axf.png

ac43a9d1-bcac-4a59-bbe1-04b439917983

5B7H8dc.png

c3053500-608f-4336-9d4d-069392ac21f2

Last edited:
Back