UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

#3780. Your project is coming along nicely lewisner.

#3777. I always enjoy seeing the wagons and vans I create on layouts other than my own Ken. I remember when i was starting out with all this you put together a scene with a gathering of hopeful cats and one of my GCR fish vans which certainly helped to encourage me to keep on making goods wagons.
The Ale Truck certainly was one of the more demanding ones that I've done, but I'm glad I stuck with it and finished it. The next tricky one I've made a start on is a GER prize cattle van. Not as interesting perhaps as an ale van, but still a good subject for a model.

#3779. Tanker I'm fairly sure that there were places where the pre-grouping southern lines and the GER and M&GNJR met up, but I really don't know enough to give you a definitive answer.

This is an early 1950s pre-Beeching railway map of East Anglia if it's any help to you.

6PrHUrX.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Tanker,

On completion of its london Extension, the GCR went in to overdrive marketing cross country services to the G.W.R. and L.S.W.R. via its route to Banbury, where traction was switched. If I recall it correctly there was a daily train between Bournemouth and Newcastle via Reading, Didcot, Oxford, Banbury, Leicester, Nottingham Vic, Sheffield Vic and York, though in pre-grouping days one set was provided by the G.C.R. and another by the G.W.R. The G.W.R. provided the restaurant car service, which only ran between Oxford and Newcastle. The L.S.W.R. probably hauled the train as far as Reading, with the G.W.R. hauling the train as far as Banbury. the G.C.R. hauled the train to York and there the N.E.R. took over.

In post-grouping days the Southern area GC Section provided the L.N.E.R. carriages until around 1927, when the NE Area took over responsibility for supplying the carriages. Former GC types probably remained the stock provided until the early 1930s, when new Gresley carriages arrived (or possibly new Gresley carraiges arrived on East Coast Main Line services and Gresley carriages built in the early/mid-1920s were cascaded to the NE Area for cross-country use). In those days the SR hauled the train as far as Reading, the GWR between Reading and Banbury and then the LNER between Banbury and Newcastle (S Area GC section locos as far as York and NE Area locos onwards from York).

There was also the "Ports and Ports" G.C.R.-G.W.R. cross country service between Newcastle, Hull, Cardiff, Barry and Swansea. The main core started at Newcastle, picking up through carriages from Hull at Doncaster, with the changeover between the G.C.R. and G.W.R. at Banbury. One set was provided by the G.C.R. and one by the G.W.R. and included a dining car set from each company. The G.C.R set and the later L.N.E.R. one were always a better quality than the one provided by the G.W.R. which always treated the train as a secondary passenger service, both in the rolling stock for it and the routing it was given onwards from Banbury.

If I have it right the Newcastle - Bournemouth service in BR days did become a NE Region-S Region joint operation as far as stock was concerned but there was always the W Region haulage between Reading and Banbury.

re posts #3778 borderreiver, Tanker46 #3779 and KotangaGirl #3783
Thanks all for the compliments.

The following will be of interest,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_London_line

https://sremg.org.uk/headcodes/sheadcodes/02.html look for LBSCR headcodes 67 & 68

Neasden 14D (ex GCR) locoshed on Cup Final day (football and or rugby or other sporting event) could well produce special train locos from the LMR, ER, WR and SR all being serviced together whilst the match at Wembley Stadium was on. Dependant on what teams were playing the event could produce rarely seen locos in that part of London plus the passenger rolling stock.

Cheers, Ken

The Bournemouth services via Basingstoke and Reading were hauled by Southern region locos and changed at Oxford. Reading was avoided by taking the west curve at Reading West. Freight usually terminated at Reading or Moreton Cutting, near Didcot. I think that in the last days of steam, after the Western region had ceased steam operation in the area, the loco changes must have been made further North as I've seen a couple of photos of them being worked by Birmingham Granges.

Chris.

That makes me wonder... Were there any places in Southern UK where the LNER and SR met? I know the GWR and LMS crisscrossed with the SR at Oxford and several other places, but I don't think I have ever seen a place where the Eastern and Southern Giants met!

Other than Oxford, the only other possibilities where the LNER and SR met would be in London. As has already been mentioned, the East London Line was a definite, and I'd imagine right round the North London Line and down the West London Line to Kensington Olympia/Addison Road did as well.

Also, don't forget through the Widened Lines down to Blackfriers....I'm pretty certain that did as well.

But outside of London, the only place where I think the Big Four all met was Oxford....can't think of anywhere else.

There were some King Arthurs loaned to the LNER North Eastern region during the WW2, and I seem to recall there were some SR loco appearances in the Cambridge/Peterbrough area at one time but I'm a bit sketchy on the details. Some of the inter-regional trains used SR and LNER stock, which could then be seen on the destination region. York - Bournemouth for instance. And several B1s were loaned to the BR(S) in 1953 for a couple of months, working the Victoria to Kent coast passenger trains.

In 1951 or 2 the SR lent the ER two BB locos for use in Anglia area & I saw 34065 pass through Colchester while on holiday in the area. I also recollect the B1 s loaned to SR on e being Edinburgh allocated.
The following B1'swere on loan to SR June 1953 to cover for temp withdrawn Bulleid pacific's
61015 50A 61133 65A 61273 51A 61274 51A 61338 50A 61354 64A
50A York 51A Darlington 64A St Margaret's Edinburgh 65A Eastfield Glasgow
Also two Brittania's on loan 70030 & 70034 from 9A Longsight

m

Last edited:
On-going motor train/push-pull testing on the pocket edition of my Norfolk layout. (TS2012)

PykJ6om.jpg

P8dqwgM.jpg

wJiqZ2M.jpg

Last edited:
More motor train/push-pull testing this time in TANE. Normally I wouldn't put one of the single driver tanks on this type of passenger service, but I haven't moved all of my Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Company engines over to TANE yet. But despite that No.7 did Ok.

BjkIb8o.jpg

eSylRf1.jpg

ubw84ud.jpg

Last edited:
Good work Annie.
Lewisner, regarding post #3789, setting the date is an important consideration but, in my opinion, at the end of the day we aren't building museum quality reproductions but a representation that we enjoy. My own NW Durham route would need to split up in to four or five versions to differentiate between late NER (post-WWI), early LNER (1920s), later LNER (1930s & 40s), BR steam (1940s, 50s & 60s) and BR Diesel (1960s & 70s). Just looking at the three NLS 25 inch to the mile maps of the Consett area for 1895, 1916 and 1938 show significant differences.

I have been doing a lot of work tweaking the area around Consett on the route.

Here, one of Consett iron Company's A Class long-boilered 0-6-0STs is exercising the company's running powers between Medomsley junction and the company's colliery at Eden Hill, just to the east of Leadgate.

Last edited:
Your NER layout is an amazing magnum opus Frank. I'm continually amazed with what you are able to achieve given Trainz limitations.

More motor train/push pull testing, but in TS2019 this time. Adjusting the environment controls still bugs the heck out of me me and getting a 'welcome back' with more busted stuff to fix as well as brand new faulty assets everytime I start it up is not my idea of a railway simulator.
Another strange thing is that all my old legacy engines look great in TS2019, but anything where the creators got ideas over doing 'magic' stuff they just look awful.

vjBJGq4.jpg

Hi Tanker,

Sounds interesting - I can't wait to see what that might be? Any hints?

Cheers,

PLP

Sorry Parker! I can't spoil the surprise! Although U wouldn't believe me even if I told you! :hehe:

In 1951 or 2 the SR lent the ER two BB locos for use in Anglia area & I saw 34065 pass through Colchester while on holiday in the area. I also recollect the B1 s loaned to SR on e being Edinburgh allocated.

And several B1s were loaned to the BR(S) in 1953 for a couple of months, working the Victoria to Kent coast passenger trains.

Thanks for looking into it you guys! The B1 was definitely a common sight around the Southern Region. They were well liked by the crews and the Southern flatlines made the rough riding problems easier! Its part of the fact the only LNER Engine rescued from Barry Island was a B1. I think they sent some V2s down south for a bit as well to fill in while the Merchant Navy Class got their rebuild.

More motor train/push-pull testing this time in TANE. Normally I wouldn't put one of the single driver tanks on this type of passenger service, but I haven't moved all of my Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Company engines over to TANE yet. But despite that No.7 did Ok.

Always a joy too see little No.7 again Annie! I have grown rather fond of your single drive tank engine! :D

KotangaGirl,
Re: Post 3796, forgive me if this is a silly question.

With that push-pull configuration, and the engine sandwiched between coaches, how did the driver see ahead very well? Did he have someone in the lead coach that would give him hand signals, or did he just really lean way out of the engine to see ahead? Did they converse with WiFi? :hehe: I was paying attention when you noted that about your coaches in a post. Just about fell off my chair laughing - good one.

Just curious, as it would appear that is not an uncommon set-up for UK passenger consists of that time.

Heinrich505

@heinrich505,

I agree with you about the cats and the fish van. I don't know if you have the picture or not. If you want the picture, go to the Trainz Gallery, choose 'evilcrow' under creator, and the date is 2018-08-09. I think it is on his 35th page.

Bob Morrison

Back