UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Paulsw2 / evilcrow : The environment / lighting effects achieved by rumour3 in his Porchester route seem to give TANE a whole new level of quality. Everything is suddenly in HD. I tried simply to copy the settings across to other routes but with limited success. However by merging another route into Porchester and then deleting the latter leaves you with the new settings on your old route. I find the improvement dramatic - even mediocre assets suddenly look high quality.

re post #983 amigacooke.

Thank you for the compliment.

re post #984 neville_hill.

Yes, this is a magnificent little route, it shows the assets to their best. If only it was a hundred miles long! Thanks for the merging tip.

1e6cf20e1a7587781539abdab2f6ac36.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow.

Last edited:
WOW ..Ken.... those shots are stunning ! I will have to add this thread to my watch list now as I only visit 5-6 usually (USA, Canada, Steam, Gmax, freeware....rarely non-American stuff but I like much the funny movie ''Titfield Thunderbolt''. I like much the atmosphere in #977 and #988.
Cheers,
Pierre

re post #986 Rail4Pete

Thanks for the compliment, Pierre.

UK....... BR/SR.....35005 "Canadian Pacific" Merchant Navy Class (Preserved, but not at the moment operational).

7f2f6ac4ec43ea2040815543f29a1bab.jpg

Cheers, Ken

ECML NER Days Northumberland 1922

I tried the manual post-processing manual settings in T:ANE. Some tweaking required methinks. Pregrouping days. North Eastern Railway Worsdell P Class (later LNER J24) 0-6-0 takes the independent line on the ECML at Chevington in Northumberland.

re posts #994 robd and #995 Railwoodman
Thank you for the compliments, gentlemen.
Mattt, when it's released I must try the PRR 2-10-0 on this route.
Rumour 3 has got the light settings on this route just right as can be seen by the excellent shot by Louvain post #996.

UK.....BR/SR

8948f51a6ea1dee11d19d683e4c03626.jpg

229386776cbe54a0a3ffba6a693a78f3.jpg

Cheers, Ken.

Ken... now really ( 2-10-0 ) , is there a layout it's not going to look good on . LOL . Nice shots . A question ? Is that a typical Engine power needed for a coal , gravel or ore ? Love the shots . Nice looking route too

Matt

re post #998 Railwoodman.
Hello Matt,
what you see is a ballast train on the 1 in 100 (1%) gradient on my extension (WIP) of "rumour3's" "Porchester and Bull's Well" route.
On the real railway in steam days, bankers (pushers) were employed between Exeter St David's and Exeter Central, a 1 in 37 (2.7%) gradient albeit over a short distance.
Ballast trains from Meldon Quarry would often require 2 bankers, heavy passenger trains would also need some assistance. Still open but a shadow of it's former self.
http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/exeter-to-exmouth-junction.html

a7123a72383d700219dfe258d0d480a9.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Fine work from rumour3 and evilcrow.

As for bankers..... they were more common than you might think and not just on fearsome spots like the Lickey or Exeter. Durham station on the ECML had bankers assigned right through until the end of passenger steam in the 1960s. The 1 in 100 grade from part way along the station platform on the Up line as far as Relly Mill junction was a sufficient obstacle to keep a daily banking turn allocated at Durham, even after Durham shed closed (the duty then falling to a loco from Sunderland shed). Class A8 4-6-2T were regular on the banking turn in the 50s and when they were withdrawn the turn was a regular haunt of Gresley's V1/V3 2-6-2T. The most famous NE region turn for me was the banking turn on the Consett branch between South Pelaw Junction and South Medomsley junction. Tyne Dock - Consett iron Ore trains, coal trains for the Coke works at Consett and Oil trains for the steel works. It was a Tyne Dock duty and one could find Q6 0-8-0, Q7 0-8-0, O1 2-8-0 or WD 2-8-0 locos allocated. The ruling gradient was around 1 in 50 but the approach to Beamish was 1 in 37. When NE Region were trialling diesel haulage they put a Type 2 diesel on the front of a train for Consett (not an iron ore turn because the loco did not have air pumps for the wagons) but the banking 2-8-0 slipped early and when the load fully came on the drawbar the type 2 Bo-Bo nearly blew up!

Darlington

NE Region Circa 1949. A1 Class 4-6-2 60115 Meg Merrilies passes Darlington with an express for London Kings Cross. WD 2-8-0 in the loop with a southbound train of coal hoppers. A4 Class stands with a train at Darlington, also bound for Kings Cross. Set the route to rumour3's environment settings from Portchester and it makes a real difference. I keep having a go at tweaking the manual post-processing as inspired by evilcrow. Not found a setting I am wholly satisfied with yet but I will keep trying.

Last edited:
re post #1001 borderreiver

Hello bordereiver, if it's any help, here is the settings I have used.

bf7b0dc4de3aa6486e7e19dfee3dea31.jpg

Cheers evilcrow

Back