Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ColPrice2002 View Post
    From my perspective, I'm not sure that a subscription is that good...
    The difference between the outright purchase and the + subscription is that I can have Surveyor 2, plus the advance DLC.
    At the end of the subscription, I'll lose the Surveyor 2 and the DLC early access...
    I went through the same decision process when the Trainz subscription was first announced and went for TRS19 Platinum Edition as an outright purchase instead.

I switched to the subscription Trainz Plus just a few months ago because of the new features that were promised it would bring. The UDS, as one example in both Trainz Plus and TRS19 PE but not in TRS19 Standard, I found to be a very powerful time saving tool and the promise of S20 in the next update of Trainz Plus convinced me to try it. The DLC side does not really interest me although I may try out the free offerings, my main interest is in building my own routes and sessions.

If I eventually decide to stop the subscription and return to TRS19 PE and later buy TRS22 outright then I have really lost nothing but a few dollars (comparatively) but I would have gained a lot of experience. But so far I see no reason to drop Trainz Plus.

Each to their own and my circumstances and priorities are for me and not necessarily for others.
    Trainz Plus 114800, Win 10, 16GB, RTX 3060Ti
    Trainz Plus 116243, Win 10, 8GB, GTX 1050Ti

I like Surveyor 2.0, but apart from that, what really is different with Trainz 22 compared to Trainz 19 (Trainz Plus)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasFanForever1856 View Post
    what really is different with Trainz 22 compared to Trainz 19 (Trainz Plus)?
    If you currently have Trainz Plus (TRS19) then you will automatically get Trainz Plus (TRS22) when the full retail (non-beta) version is released.

What's that? You gotta pay a subscription on top of the price for the base game just to get the new fancy editor they've been hyping up? Pass.

Anyone that doesn't want to bleed their wallet dry, best just stay with 19.

Quote Originally Posted by STLSF4003 View Post
    What's that? You gotta pay a subscription on top of the price for the base game just to get the new fancy editor they've been hyping up? Pass.
    19 cents a day (cost of plus for a year based on yearly subscription) is hardly bleeding a wallet dry. Now, if you don't care for subscription models to purchase software, well, that's a valid point. But 19 cents a day? What else can you buy for that amount that brings so much fun and entertainment?
    Last edited by 1611mac; December 1st, 2021 at 03:53 PM.
    22+ beta 116243; 19+ SP5 beta 116210; 19-Std SP3; Tane
    Win10, GTX1060-6, 1TB SSD(C), 2TB SSD(D)
    Mac M1 Mini, Big Sur - 19+

Well I bled my wallet because I wanted to have a play with Surveyor 2. Why, well I could be dead tomorrow (hopefully not literally) then I would not have satisifed my curiosity and gone into the big sky envying all the rest of you whom are trying it out.
    "Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day."

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    19 cents a day (cost of plus for a year based on yearly subscription) is hardly bleeding a wallet dry. Now, if you don't care for subscription models to purchase software, well, that's a valid point. But 19 cents a day? What else can you buy for that amount that brings so much fun and entertainment?
    I despise subscription models in gaming with a burning passion. It's as simple as that. One an done, as it should be. And maybe some DLC if there's any thing on the market that I like.

I will be sticking to 19 for the foreseeable future. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of what's coming up, but what I have is good enough for me.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

You can't even buy a pack of chewing gum for 19 cents.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 114800
    TRS22 Beta tester

Blog Entries

What's that? You gotta pay a subscription on top of the price for the base game just to get the new fancy editor they've been hyping up?
    No, If you don't already have Trainz Plus you just pay for the subscription - either an annual or a monthly payment - no "price of the base game" as well. If you decide to end the subscription after just one month, then you lose access to the game and all you have lost is a few dollars/pounds/euros. If you buy outright and decide after one month that you hate it then you have lost a lot more in dollars/pounds/euros.

If you already have Trainz Plus (TRS19) then you will get the upgrade to Trainz Plus (TRS22) automatically as a part of your subscription.

But each user will have their own needs, priorities and ideas on what is value and what is not.

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

All these people whining about the cost makes me crazy. Are you living in Mommy's basement? Here in the States where gas is really cheap compared to the rest of the world. A year subscription is about the same as 1 tank of gas or one night out with friends. I spend at least 10 hours a week using Trainz so it is the cheapest entertainment available.

STLF4003, Think of it this way: Buy 22 for $69.99, or buy a year of Plus for 69.49 and get 22 into the bargain. At the end of the year drop Plus and Keep 22. SWEET! You just saved 50 cents (American) on 22 and got a whole year of Plus. What's not to like?
    Have a*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Wonderful day! *

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    All these people whining about the cost makes me crazy. Are you living in Mommy's basement?
    I would much rather see my funds being put to use on something that is actually useful in my daily life and not waisted on some subscription scheme. Thank you very much.

As for gas prices, they are damn near $3.00 a gallon here in Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    STLF4003, Think of it this way: Buy 22 for $69.99, or buy a year of Plus for 69.49 and get 22 into the bargain. At the end of the year drop Plus and Keep 22. SWEET! You just saved 50 cents (American) on 22 and got a whole year of Plus. What's not to like?
    The fact that you lose access to all the feature included with Plus when your subscription lapse which is pretty much most of the new stuff being added to 22. It's just roping you into having to keep paying for whatever "new shiny" the devs put out.

Back in the day unless your were playing an online MMO, you only had to pay for a game once to get the full package with everything else being optional purchase.

And now a days the devs are only interested in milking every last penny out of you.
    Last edited by STLSF4003; December 2nd, 2021 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    I only buy via steam. Will steam version get trainz Plus or S20?

Well, you keep everything that is 22 along with 22. So anything that becomes mainstream 22 over the next year should stay. But I am curious what happens to the Plus content that is in my CM on December 1, 2022. Will it show as Payware-Disabled or Packaged-Disabled or something? Would it then gradually slip back into enabled as the assets or features became mainstream 22 over the following year? Someone does need to clarify just what all takes place December 1, 2022 and following.
    Have a*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Wonderful day! *

Blog Entries

And now a days the devs are only interested in milking every last penny out of you.
    Unfortunately that is the reality of being in business today, especially in the software business. Margins can be wafer thin, competition can be intense, but bills still have to be paid.

have noticed that not even customer loyalty seems to mean anything these days. My electricity supplier, for example, is only likely to offer you better rates if you start the process to move to another supplier (same wires, same power generators, same electrons - so go figure). Not even charities can afford to give everything away for nothing, if they want to remain in business for the long term.

I have also noticed that there seems to be a growing view from some consumers that if something is given away for free than it must not be any good. Have we all become cynics?