Change Driver Picture

chili46

Okay, some of these guys/gals are just plain creepy. Most of the real people are cool, but ... I've seen limited information about it might be possible to change the thumbnail.jpg and corresponding .texture file. I would really like to be able to do that. Is there any way it can be done and, if so, is there a tutorial available?

TIA,
Chili

I don't think it is simple (but I am happy to be proven wrong). There was some discussion on this some time ago and i did try a few things (I have experience in creating non-environmental textures) but nothing I tried worked. If and when it does happen I have a new non-animated driver image ready to go - my cat wearing a loco engine drivers cap.

Last edited:
Pware, I would trade that cat driver for that one TS2019 driver that looks like Frankenstein any day! And I hope someday someone will create a female driver that it isn't the same cross-eyed female with different hair! :hehe:

Awww, but my wife loves "Zombie Bob"

This is one answer to the puguglies that seem to drive the feersum enjins of Trainz these days - change their names to match their gurns, snarls, grimaces and sneers. I have "Old Rotter", "Mad Meg", "Bill Bully" and some others. I will adopt also your "Bob Zombie" and place him on a footplate or even at the tiller of a barge.

Perhaps one of the people-creators will make station staff to match; even a few passengers - the sort of folk one might find on some crowded commuter station in London, with all the trains late and those turning up eventually already stuffed to the gunnels with even less happy folk? The station staff should have various expressions and bodily postures, from resigned&fedup to outright barking-nasty. Perhaps the animators could portray the interchange of bodily gestures and postures between a distraught & ranting commuter and a station manager who is doing dumb insolence with dollops of itsnotmyfault?

Lataxe, travelling mostly by bicycle these days

Last edited:
This looked like a keeper, but with TRS19, I'm getting this error: "VE176: The tag 'face-texture' in 'drivercharcter' must have a texture file extension."

Are you still running TANE and not TRS19? I'm wondering if I could edit it in TANE and then import it into TRS19 and the import process might fix the problems...

Last edited:
This looked like a keeper, but with TRS19, I'm getting this error: "VE176: The tag 'face-texture' in 'drivercharcter' must have a texture file extension."

Are you still running TANE and not TRS19? I'm wondering if I could edit it in TANE and then import it into TRS19 and the import process might fix the problems...

Are you trying to edit an existing built-in character?

If so you can't.

I recommend cloning one you can download from the DLS and use that as a basis for your own.

If my memory serves me correct there was a type of kit(?) uploaded in either TRZ2004 - 06 that you just followed and you could change the driver pic.
Whether it would work in later versions, I don't know. I'll check through my files and see if I can find it when I get on the Games Computer which is not online.
Kind Regards
Frank

[QUOTE/
Maybe JCitron can tell us if TRS19 is different than Tane SP4. Once you get it to work keep notes on what you did. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

Nothing has changed in this regard. Ensure all the parts are where they're supposed to be. You just can't use DLC and built-in assets for this. Find another working driver from the DLS and use that as a base by replacing images and names as required.

The image name does need to have the same name as the original, otherwise, things will not work. This name is baked into the model from when the model was created.

I found the program to change the driver image. It's called 'DriverImageConvert' It's a zip file 2,262kb. and is a exe program.
EDIT: I never used this when I downloaded it years ago. I thought I'd have a look at it late last night.
BEWARE!!! I don't know what happened but I opened the zip file and clicked the 'setup.exe' and the program installed but where to?
I wouldn't have a clue. I thought it was supposed to go to C drive Program Files but it's not there. I'm using Windows 10 Pro and the from what I can see it went to somewhere called 'CGN'???
I am going to have another look around in the system and see what i can find. But my advice is "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!"
Regards
Frank

Last edited:
It seems that TRS19 will put a different face on the driver you make. For some reason the picture you use to make the driver does not show up in the game.

If the trainz-build if the driver character is below 4.6, TRS19 seems to substitute the mesh with one of its own meshes. Updating the config.txt to trainz-build 4.6 (with all required changes) should keep the defined mesh.

DriverCharacter Therese with trainz-build < 4.6 (built-in mesh used by TRS19)
DriverCharacter-Therese---trainz-build-%3C-4.6.jpg

DriverCharacter Therese with trainz-build = 4.6 (original mesh used)
DriverCharacter-Therese---trainz-build-%3D-4.6.jpg

Peter

The problem here is that your calling the TGA. Create a texture.txt and call the texture from that. Trainz back then didn't enforce this rule, and it wasn't enforced until TANE

The config.txt for both versions is the same, the only difference is the trainz-build. The textures are all referenced using .texture.txt files. Both pictures were taken in TRS19.

Peter

Back