Help Downloading Route from Older Mac Version

bkringen

Can someone please help me? I purchased the "Trainz Simulator Mac" version back in 2013. Over the years, I had created quite an extensive route of 100+ miles. After having been inactive for about four years, I have now decided to continue work on my original route. I have purchased the Trainz 2019 version for Macintosh, and it seems to be installed correctly on my Mac. However, I cannot find the relevant instructions on how to transfer over my old route to the new version. Any instructions I find are for the "Trainz Simulator 2" version. None of the files seem to be in the correct places, I see no option to export a .cdp file, etc. Can anyone please point m din the right direction to at least get started? I assume there IS a way to upload my old route...?

Sorry to reply without a proper solution but I would be very interested in knowing if there is a solution. I ran Trainz Mac a few years ago and then have been devoid of Trains for the past five years. This week I have purchased a new M1 MacBook Pro and intend to purchase Trainz 2019 when it is updated for M1. When I do that, I will hopefully be migrating my old routes over.

I haven't tried this yet but...from memory I think the relevant files are kept in the user library folder (hidden folder). I remember when I migrated from MacBook to MacBook Air in 2013 I copied the library files and placed them in the same spot on the new computer. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I am not at all familiar with the Mac versions of Trainz. But if the old versions allow you to use the Content Manager to save and export a route as a CDP file ... perhaps you can use the content manager of the new version of Trainz to import the CDP file you created.

It would be likely that many of the old assets used by the earlier version of Trainz may be obsolete in the 2019 version, requiring you to replace them with assets that are not obsolete. Good luck.

Dave is right. A CDP export would be the best way to transfer the route. The dependencies should be available either built-in or downloadable from the DLS.

There are two things to be aware of, however. The first will be the file format. You may need to open the route for edit in your version of Window File Explorer and change the file names so the route can be imported.

If the file names are route-name, then the name needs to be change to map-file with the same extension as before such as map-file.bmk, for example. You can do this once the route is imported and it's done in Content Manager.

The other issue will be Speed Trees if you used non-built-in varieties. This is due to the Speed Tree developer IDV not allowing an upgrade path between the older to the new format and version. This means, if you used non-built-in trees, you'll have to delete the faulty ones if you download them from the DLS, and then run the Delete Missing Assets utility within Surveyor. Once cleaned-up, you can then place new trees in Surveyor. The alternative method is to replace the trees in your previous Trainz version with the older billboards and then replace those with new trees of your choice if you wish.

If you used the older billboards to start, you should be all set.

Back