Mac Help needed

rhban

I have brought this up in other threads, but so far nobody seems able to help me. The route I had been working on for the last couple of weeks disappeared when I upgraded from Build 122431 to Build 123844 and replace it with an old, barely started route. Because earlier I had been working without realising it in Beta mode, I have already had to restart my route from scratch several times, but when I changed back to 122431, it finally began to take shape and I really don't want to start again from scratch.
I have found the route I was working on in Backups, but I don't know how to get it from there into the game. Manage Content can't see it because it is not installed, so the official instructions aren't much use.

Please, I need help.

Load up Trainz, choose Manage Content, then Import Content Folder. Locate the backup folder you wish to install 'example: 23-11-23' Year-month-day. Select that folder then 'OK/Intstall'. And that should install your backup route into Trainz

Remember the backup folder may or may not be the backup you are looking for. This maybe a previously saved version 'before your last edit'. But with a little luck, Trainz may have backed up your route.. Best of luck!!

Load up Trainz, choose Manage Content, then Import Content Folder. Locate the backup folder you wish to install 'example: 23-11-23' Year-month-day. Select that folder then 'OK/Intstall'. And that should install your backup route into Trainz

Remember the backup folder may or may not be the backup you are looking for. This maybe a previously saved version 'before your last edit'. But with a little luck, Trainz may have backed up your route.. Best of luck!!
I cannot do this. Manage Content can, as far as I can see, only "see" installed content. It certainly cannot see what is in the Backup folders. Wait, perhaps I spoke too soon: how do you do "import content folder"?

In Manage Content, click File | Import Content Folder... Search for the backup folder, normally located.

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs22\build xxxxxx then open the Backups folder, choose the folder dated for example: 23-11-24 'Year-Month-Day"
then click Select folder. Trainz should be able to find all config files automatically to reinstall the previous edited version of your route 'last edited version'.

I haven't ever done this myself. But I have certainly used the Import Content Folder feature to install my own TransDEM routes and 3rd party add-ons not archived in a CDP file.

OK, thanks for the help. I did import the folder, but another one came along with it labelled "New Asset" and that is the only one I can now find in Trainz - I see it reverts to TANE at this point - anyway, it claims this contains assets with kuids lower than 3500 and that it, therefore, cannot be opened. I knew we were not supposed to use those old assets, but there are a few that have no higher number equivalents. There are just so many things missing in the new version, but it seems I no longer have any content of my own now. I'll go back to playing Civilisation VI, sigh.

Here's a hint: Nobody really knows!

Right click, show in explorer
Open the config text file
locate the 'Trainz-build' information.
Change the 3.5 number to 4.5
Exit the config file saving it.

Using the drop down menu, in Manage Content! Choose Open for editing. Find the file you've just made changes to
Right click | Submit Edits

That solves that ;)

I'm not sure how PhilCh...'s information would work in Mac, and I don't know how to find a config text file, but what I find irritating is that when this route was up and working - i.e. before the "update" - Manage Content did not show any faults in the route. Now it won't load it because of imagined faults.

I am really getting fed up with all this messing about. All I want to do is to create train routes that are interesting to look at and where the AI trains do what I tell them. Instead, all this year, I keep getting new builds that crash everything I've done and I have to start again from scratch.

If all fails and you need to just get a good copy of 22 going I ask... Are you in a position to do a Fresh Install? My install was similar to yours after the update. A fresh install of 123794 (windows) fixed everything. A fresh Mac install of 123844 on my Mac M1 seems OK also though I haven't done much with it. I think we would all be wise to backup app and datafolder before "upgrades" so we can always return to previous install. Sorry, I wish i could tell you how to recover your work..

Mac/Linux and Windows users all has the same Trainz launcher as far as I know. You should see Manage Content, you should be able to click on the File menu | Import Content Folder then install the backup of your route. It all works exactly the same :)

The config file is located within the archive of your route! Right click on the route in Manage Content, then choose Show in explorer this will launch the folder automatically. Then you will find a file titled 'config' which is just a normal text document! Open this file in a text editor and change the Trainz-build number to 4.5 from 3.5. Then save the config file, right click and submit edits.

It works believe me! I've converted a route from TRS22 to TRS19 doing that same method. And the route works perfectly fine in both versions of Trainz :)

I just don't seem to be able to download my route. The first time, I was told it contained assets with kuids below 3500 and could not be downloaded. Now, nothing happens at all. I really don't feel like starting from scratch yet again - this was, I think, my 5th or 6th attempt, but apparently that was because I was using a Beta version. Now I am definitely with Trains Plus, but...
I think I am going to have to find a new pastime;

OK. I have now tried several times to import a route 1) from a trs22 backup file and 2) from a trs19 file. Each time, it just gives me a list of warnings, all of which seem to consist of "unsupported file type" without further explanation. The trs19 is still playable in 19, but the 22 route has simply disappeared when the upgrade was installed and only exists in backup file, from where it seems it cannot be imported. The 19 route does not show up as "Faulty" in Manage Content, and before the "upgrade", my 22 route showed no errors either.
Do I have to look for a different railway application?

OK. I have now tried several times to import a route 1) from a trs22 backup file and 2) from a trs19 file. Each time, it just gives me a list of warnings, all of which seem to consist of "unsupported file type" without further explanation. The trs19 is still playable in 19, but the 22 route has simply disappeared when the upgrade was installed and only exists in backup file, from where it seems it cannot be imported. The 19 route does not show up as "Faulty" in Manage Content, and before the "upgrade", my 22 route showed no errors either.
Do I have to look for a different railway application?
Restoring from a backup is not user friendly.

Take the .tzarc file, not the folder from the backup, and put the file into the edit folder.

Run a DBR and this "should" restore your route. Note the a-- cover here should. Past performance doesn't always guaranty current results.

Restoring from a backup is not user friendly.

Take the .tzarc file, not the folder from the backup, and put the file into the edit folder.

Run a DBR and this "should" restore your route. Note the a-- cover here should. Past performance doesn't always guaranty current results.
Wow! That's different. I've always been a bit scared to .tsarc files, and putting it into the Edit folder is a new take. I will try that. Thank you.

So, in Editing>Backups, I can find the only mention of my lost route <kuid: my number + name of route>
and under that 9 .tzarc files with no name, only numbers. Should I just pick one at random?

So, in Editing>Backups, I can find the only mention of my lost route <kuid: my number + name of route>
and under that 9 .tzarc files with no name, only numbers. Should I just pick one at random?
This is correct. You will only see the KUID number of your route.

Here's my route backup:

kuid 124863 100736.tzarc

There are spaces instead of colons in the file name due to colons being something else in the operating system and are not allowed. The file is also 378 MB.

Sometimes, the file may look like this:

kuid 124863 100736.tzarc_2414180424

I bolded the numbers to show the difference clearly. You need to rename the file to remove this part _2414180424 in order to import the route again.

To find which one to use, pick the largest one with the most recent date unless there's a reason to go back further.

====

Why the sequence number?

Since there can't be the same filename in Mac OS or Windows, a sequence number is appended to the end of the file.

The folder isn't useful because there is no full route in there. The folder contains all the individual slices and bits that allow Trainz to load up routes and sessions quickly unlike the old days when a whole route or session was loaded into memory. With the route or session fully loaded into memory, this bogged down the performance considerably making the performance bad. By slicing it up, routes and sessions are loaded in small chunks as needed when we move around the route.

OK, I tried that. I took the latest and biggies .tzarc, made a duplicate and replaced "copy" with "docks" as a reminder of what the route was sort of about. I dragged it into Edit and did the Rebuild Database. Nothing. Now, reading your instructions again, I see I should have replace the final number with something, but when I tried earlier replacing that with a work, it disappeared and later reappeared with its original name.
Nothing with modern Trainz/TANE or whatever it's calling itself this week is meant to be easy!

My messing seems to have changed things. Now the .tzarcs only have one number. preceded by an underline - the one I'm trying to move is
kuid 615391 100969.tzarc_3285912515
and they're all like that, where before they had a second number preceded by a space. It's all very puzzling.

My messing seems to have changed things. Now the .tzarcs only have one number. preceded by an underline - the one I'm trying to move is
and they're all like that, where before they had a second number preceded by a space. It's all very puzzling.
Take this:

And rename the file to this:

kuid 615391 100969.tzarc

Take this file and copy that and place that in your editing folder and run a DBR.

If you don't have any other version of your route installed, then this will replace your route. If you already have a version, your route will be open for edit and you can either submit to keep this version or revert to original. All done in Content Manager.

Thanks for bearing with me. I tried that, but I'm afraid it didn't work. Perhaps I shouldn't have pressed Ctrl DBR.

Back