What is the trainz-build of TRS19 SP1

The trainz-build of TRS19 is 4.6.

In the past, a service pack always bumped the trainz-build by +0.1. Is this still the case with TRS19 SP1 (making it 4.7) or not?

I just saved a copy of my route and it was 4.6.
This is in TRS19 Gold SP1 Build 105100
Kenny

A little strange they would break their own established tradition, but I guess it must be 4.6 then (unless you're really still on TRS19 build 98592 as your signature suggests).

I presume you are talking about the minimum asset build numbers that go with each version (and update) of Trainz?

The asset build number has not always been incremented with each SP release. Some examples:-

TS2009 SP1Build 3.0
TS2009 SP2 / TS2009 SP3Build 3.1
TS2010 / TS2010 SP1Build 3.2
TS2010 SP2 / TS2010 SP3 / TS2009 SP4
Build 3.3

Note the anomaly for build 3.3 - shared by both TS2009 SP4 and TS2010 SP2/3

Last edited:
Probably related to the asset definition such as config tags, changes to materials, and such. That suggests there were no changes for SP1.

It's a bit confusing when we have build numbers on the splash screen such as 105096, and then a different build number for an asset. I think they should give the asset builds a different name.

It's a bit confusing when we have build numbers on the splash screen such as 105096, and then a different build number for an asset. I think they should give the asset builds a different name.

Yes, it is confusing and a different name would clear up many "strange" posts. It would mean a change to the name of the "Minimum build version" in the CM search filters.

Yes, I hope there is a lot of "clean up" once the staff gets back. By "clean up" I mean fixing the ramifications of the same version number providing different features depending on membership. Makes it impossible to communicate. If things are going to stay this way then the forum needs changed. There should be separate forums for TRS19 Silver and Gold since these memberships provide UDS, etc. ie: I can tell anyone where the "xyz" menu item is because I don't know if they are on a regular 105096 release or a Gold/Silver 105096 release. And most people don't realize the same release provides much different interfaces, features, etc. Too confusing! Can't communicate! Hoping N3V will "clean things up."

The build number of the Trainz program has never had as its purpose to identify the feature set of the software. It is used internally as a chronological delimiter of when the game code was run through the compiler. My Steam build is 105175 which is higher than 105096. That only means that the retail build was run through the compiler before the Steam build. I have the same feature set.

The proper way to look at the situation is that subscribers get the full range of features while I and the other red hair stepchildren that aren't subscribers get the dumb down feature set. Or to use train terminology, subscribers are in the first class coach while the rest of us are in third class.

The bigger worry is how do you market a game that besides the purchase price also requires either a DLS ticket or a subscription to make full use of all the features. That is kind of like King George telling the colonists that we had to pay more for tea. Remember how that worked out?

William

Last edited:
The build number of the Trainz program has never had as its purpose to identify the feature set of the software. It is used internally as a chronological delimiter of when the game code was run through the compiler. William

But has there ever been so different set of features in the same build number? It' s my understanding that this is something new. For the same build to have both non-UDS and UDS is quite a new event isn't it?

Surely you agree that there needs to be a way to identify the feature set that users have. Just saying "I'm on 105096" is pretty meaningless now days.

Why don't they call it this:

Program version number, content build number.

I believe in KISS.

Calling both build number is confusing.

So is "username" that is the name of an asset in its config file but its author on the DLS.

Yes things like that too.

Username and author should be the same in both places as well as in Content Manager. Username in the config.txt today refers to the asset name.

The name of the game in data management is consistency which is something we've never had.

N3V have differentiated the terms. This thread is not about version Build numbers (e.g. 100240), it’s about the config tag trainz-build (e.g. 4.6) and what its value should be for any version that qualifies as TRS19 SP1. I thought that was made clear in the opening post.

I would think the Trainz Build number is tied to the asset configuration standards and the validation rules the Content Manager uses to flag or fault an asset. No change in these for SP1 means no Trainz Build number change.

Last edited:
It is strange not to differentiate, TANE SP3 and TANE SP4 are both 4.5.
A route built in SP4 will not work in SP3, but we are not made aware of this.

I have no idea what happens in TRS19, will a route built in gold/silver/platinum work in the Tin Classic version?

I have just imported 10 of my own TRS19 routes into TANE SP4, with minimum alteration. I don't use jellytex (PBR gound tex) in TRS19.

I would think the Trainz Build number is tied to the asset configuration standards and the validation rules the Content Manager uses to flag or fault an asset. No change in these for SP1 means no Trainz Build number change.

Exactly. I think pcas1986 made the same point in one of the earlier posts.

The validation rules seem to be tied to both the asset build number and the splash screen release number. Some assets that tested OK in TRS19 failed on upload to the DLS. But they also failed when tested against the TRS19 SP1 beta and the TANE SP4 beta. The DLS validation rules seems to be aligned with the latest betas.

From memory, I think these errors were caused by older assets using mesh library assets or assets that were reskinned.

So the best us mere mortals can do is pay attention to the Trainz Build numbers and perform a tea ceremony before uploading new content.

Last edited:
I think it best to just use the names and subscription status. For example, I have TRS19 SP1 and I'm not a subscriber.

N3V is the source of the confusion with public beta testing. Too many build numbers floating around.

I was always under the impression that the Trainz-build number only went up when the save format of routes, sessions or any other game created asset changed.

William

I think it best to just use the names and subscription status. For example, I have TRS19 SP1 and I'm not a subscriber.
-snip-
William

Thant would be great if people would do that but the "casual" 19 user doesn't know or understand the issue let alone put that needed info in their post. The registration icon/badge (whatever you call that) under usernames needs to have a "TRS19" badge and a "TRS19 Plus" badge, etc.

Back