Imported route get converted to TRS19 version

RJArtim

67 yrs old Trainz Veteran
Get your own place to do your work not in mine. RJ Artim, is mine area not yours, stay out of it and set up your.

Last edited:
From memory, the game will not let you save routes and sessions under someone else's user ID. That's pretty much how it's operated since at least TS12. In terms of the load of files that's based on code from T:ANE Service Pack 2 and later which also does the same.

Shane

I don't want to save the route, I just want to save my session, but I get prompted to save a new route and that's the only choice I get. Did you read the first line in my original post?

When you save a in surveyor, you should get a dialog box asking you how you want to save. Make sure that you've selected to save the session only... I think default is to save the route & session. I also advise making sure that you are making your session in the session layer.

peter

I don't want to save the route, I just want to save my session, but I get prompted to save a new route and that's the only choice I get. Did you read the first line in my original post?

There's another thread discussing this issue so this appears to be a bug. Report your issue to the QA Team via the online bug report.

Creating a session should not affect the route, which is the other complaint.

I can not seem to find a link to post a bug with. They were all over the place a while back... at 68 I lose my recent memory too quick. RJ Artim

Last edited:
I sent a bug report to the help desk I think. Should I use your link as well? It asked for my version number, I gave it 96000.

Can I edit the newly saved route and change it back to the original author's KUID?
You don't need to: just delete the new route. Then edit the session and change the map-kuid tag so it refers to the original route. That makes it a session of that route, not of the one you saved.

You don't need to: just delete the new route. Then edit the session and change the map-kuid tag so it refers to the original route. That makes it a session of that route, not of the one you saved.

Well another thing happens when you save the new route. Original route had 8 files in it's folder, after a new save in TRS19 it has over 400 files in it's folder. Not sure what they are but I guess it is all the tiles in a separate individual files. In essence it is making the route compatible for TRS19, I am guessing. I will wait and see what the programmers do about it or say about it before I start trying to convert some 90 sessions I made in TANE.

Well another thing happens when you save the new route. Original route had 8 files in it's folder, after a new save in TRS19 it has over 400 files in it's folder. Not sure what they are but I guess it is all the tiles in a separate individual files. In essence it is making the route compatible for TRS19, I am guessing. I will wait and see what the programmers do about it or say about it before I start trying to convert some 90 sessions I made in TANE.

You don't need the new route - delete it. Change the map-kuid in the session to refer to the original route. Run the original route (as a T:ANE version) and the new session will be available.

Like T:ANE SP2 and up, routes data is now broken up into lots of smaller files to assist with performance. This has nothing to do with the problem you are having, which I said was reported elsewhere.

RJArtim,

What are the steps you are using?

I just created a new session for the Brazemore Yard, I placed some freight cars and a caboose, and received a save a new session message which I would expect and I saved my consist to the route.

I then edited another session, placed a caboose on the end of a train, and got the save a new session only dialog box.

What route and session are you working with?

It may be that the consists are on the route and not session, which is causing this problem.

The UMR2018, for TRS19 I believe, it is part of TRS19 if you owned it.

Last edited:
Like T:ANE SP2 and up, routes data is now broken up into lots of smaller files to assist with performance. This has nothing to do with the problem you are having, which I said was reported elsewhere.

I think the problem is, TRS19 does not want to save the session to an older version route and updates it so you can save to it. So it converts it to the 400 + files, ie; version 4.6 and saves the session. My texture, set your own up. They are not for money. RJ Artim

Last edited:
I think the problem is, TRS19 does not want to save the session to an older version route and updates it so you can save to it. So it converts it to the 400 + files, ie; version 4.6 and saves the session.

Just to give you a little of my background, I ran BBSes before there was an internet, I programmed my BBS in Pascal, then to C++. When the internet came along I got off CompuServe and wrote my own web site and created a virtual railroad to play with MSTS in notepad. I learned PHP and MySQL from some books. Along the way I was creating applications for businesses with dbase and then in Paradox. I had my own computer store for 6 years and set up networks for businesses and schools. For my MSTS site I wrote over 500 activities and painted over 1200 pieces of rolling stock. Then Railworks came along. Wrote several hundred scenarios for it and 300 + repaints and a web sit for it in Joomla. Then I took over Railworks America and converted it to a Joomla site. Which is now the largest site for Railworks/TS20xx. So basically I am a computer nerd, Generation X². And now I got 4,000 + hours in TANE and discovering TRS19. I been there and done it, all of this stuff here is new to me. Different software different problems.

Now that makes sense. I've done a fresh data install and right now I'm only using built-in stuff due to breaking things with icky data, and will import one of my own creations from T:ANE and see what happens. You might be on to something.

I'm a nerd as well. I started as a hardware tech and cut my teeth on Visual Technology video terminals and Ontel OP/1s plus all their peripherals like memory cards, and controllers. Later it was modems and switching equipment for Infinet/Memotec/Teleglobe (the company changed names 3 times when I was there), and later on I ended up in MIS and IT.

I only learned computer programming languages as I needed them for college and studied Z-80 Assembly Language, Pascal, Basic, C/C++, Java, and a tiny bit of Fortran. On the way I played with and used intensivle, CP/M 3.0, DOS, OS/2, VAX VMS, IBM Roscoe, various Windows and was Novell Admin certified. I too had a CompuServe account way back in the day as well and finally gave that up in 1998 when AO-Hell bought them. My ID was 74630,251 which I still remember! :)

Lots of good stuff, and way too much to drag this subject totally 180 degrees off topic, and yes there's still lots and lots to learn with Trainz. I've been at it going on 14 years and still have barely scratched the surface.

A nice one I made a session in jrfolco's Baltimore and West mega route with a train to run. You need t o get your name and password and join the rest of us. RJ Artim

Last edited:
I just made a session in jrfolco's Baltimore and West mega route with a train to run. The session saved, and took about 9 minutes to finish as while saving it converted the route over. There are 26,000 files in the route's folder when open for edit now. It's a huge route. I then went back in and adjusted some of the environment, and it was back to wanting to save a new route. TRS19 does not like you to mess with the environment on a non TRS19 route.

That's good to know. How about importing the route then doing a save as to create the TRS19 version that you can work from going forward?

Back