clickity clack

Total Commander, such a wonderful and useful tool.
I can't do anything without it.
Most started program on my computer....

Go to trainz install folder.

Search for "wheel_clang*.wav"

You'll find:

wheel_clang_slow.wav
wheel_clang_slow_med.wav
wheel_clang1.wav
wheel_clang2.wav
wheel_clang3.wav
wheel_clang4.wav

Just change these files for any .wav file you want.

:)

Do you mean that annoying sound when the train runs ? The tac tac even if the rails are welded

If so you just have to add this line in eacht train config.txt ( not bogie or any deps as it will not work and show as faulty )

disable-extra-track-sounds 1

submit and voilà no more tack tack

No more clicke-di-clack by that rule means totally silence.
That's a bit too much.
Only bogey-sounds and custom added track-sounds will be heard.

I searched for a nice tracksound and replaced the the original files with that.

The clang1, clang2, clang3, clang4 are very short ones.
That are the 4 click(1)-ke(2)-di(3)-clack(4) that are so damn annoying.

Last edited:

You'll find:

wheel_clang_slow.wav
wheel_clang_slow_med.wav
wheel_clang1.wav
wheel_clang2.wav
wheel_clang3.wav
wheel_clang4.wav

Please relate more on "Total Commander" usages

And what is: "No more clicke-di-clack by that rule"

I can say that irl, the clickety clack does exist. Not on welded rails of course. You can still hear it however it does get drowned out by all the other noises. (You can hear it while inside a piece of rolling stock. I personally think the sound for the default game should be updated, changed to work in a different way but not removed entirely.

Last edited:
Indeed and on switches too but that particular click os from the early Trainz, bad and annoying to hear, it's more realistic to remove.

Please relate more on "Total Commander" usages

And what is: "No more clicke-di-clack by that rule"

Just do a search for TotalCommander... (was WinCommander a few years ago)
It's a file manager, copier, ftp, rename, delete, two windows at one screen, change file associations, watch pictures, etc. etc.
Too much functions to tell them all.
No file manager better than this one.
But that's MY opinion.

"by that rule" I was referring to post of "MF01"

Last edited:
While on sounds subject, I have this question since years past: What is that "chuip" sound I hear when near points? Chuip is the best I can describe it. It has been there since 04, and nobody has mention it (sorry if I deviated from the main thread subject).

What do you mean by "chuip" ? The sound the wheels made when passing rail-joints ?

You'll find:

wheel_clang_slow.wav
wheel_clang_slow_med.wav
wheel_clang1.wav
wheel_clang2.wav
wheel_clang3.wav
wheel_clang4.wav

where exactly are these files located I cannot find them.

The sounds actually belong to an asset that is part of the base content. Look for Kuid:54070:100003\sounds.

C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz A New Era\resources\builtin\base\content\kuid 570470 100003\sounds\track

FYI: Modifying the built-in content can cause the patch process to fail with odd and unexpected errors, which are difficult to troubleshoot and in some cases the only way to resolve is to reinstall the program to resolve the issue. There's a possibility that such changes will not be permanent should the patch succeed and these built-in assets are replaced with newer versions.

As always take a backup of content first before making changes such as this.

The sounds actually belong to an asset that is part of the base content. Look for Kuid:54070:100003\sounds.

C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz A New Era\resources\builtin\base\content\kuid 570470 100003\sounds\track

FYI: Modifying the built-in content can cause the patch process to fail with odd and unexpected errors, which are difficult to troubleshoot and in some cases the only way to resolve is to reinstall the program to resolve the issue. There's a possibility that such changes will not be permanent should the patch succeed and these built-in assets are replaced with newer versions.

thank you! i found it and changed those files !

What do you mean by "chuip" ? The sound the wheels made when passing rail-joints ?
No. This sound happens when your train is moving or static, but very near a switch, and it sounds just like that, very fast "chuip". be very quiet and perhaps rise the volume. Interesting is that it does not happen on every set of points, just on some (first noted on Auran default points time ago and still today on several other types).

Do you know the KUID that makes up the default junction sound when passing through junctions?

This topic came up some years ago and a much simpler solution was found at that time rather than all the discussion above. All you have to do is add the line "is_silent 1" to the config file of the offending track. I have done it for track I use in TS2009 and T:ANE. Hope this helps.

Tony Howard

I wouldn't mind the click-clack so bad, as it is what I grew up with. What I don't like about it, is it is just wrong. There are two wheels at the end of each car, with the length of the car in between. Also, with the length of the coupler, there is a shorter gap between cars. So there should be a click-clack for the front wheels, a gap, then a click-clack for the rear wheels, then a very short gap for the coupler, and then start all over again. Having it sound as steady as a clock just doesn't cut it... And thanks Tony for the tip. Is that for the click-clack, for the junction sound, or both?

Back