Question about used Trainz on a CD

Wait... they did? :oops:
That means... I should have that somewhere in this pile of unopened cargo boxes that I haven't touched since we switched homes. o_O
Can that be patched / updated to the latest version, still without turning into a DRM / "have to call home" version?
As far as I know, yes. I did not opt to pay the shipping costs to get one so I have not used it. I do remember that there was much discussion in the Pioneer Council & TEG private forum over this issue and the compromise seemed to have been that users wanting a DRM free version could get it directly from N3V by paying the shipping cost to get it. As a Mod, you should still have access to that forum if you want to research it. The forum still exists but is hidden from most users.

Here is a post from DAP from a thread he started in the PC & TEG forum.

I am a bit frustrated with my latest installation of TANE. I have had several of the early builds working on my computer, but then life got in the way of Trainz and I have not had a chance to do much with it for the past 8 months. I am finally getting around to installing my Collector’s Edition I got for participation in Kickstarter funding.

I do a search for a specific asset and it shows up as Available for Download. I highlight it, right click and select download, and get the following:

Unable to search asset <kuid2:56063:101110:4>. Unable to contact server.

This happens for every asset I have tried to download. I have done Rebuild Database. My internet connection is solid. I have registered my product key. I’m not sure what the problem could be or how to fix it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

David
That would seem to me that the boxed versions from N3V did have a product key that needed to be registered. It also seemed to have a "disable online features" toggle as well based upon a response from Shaneturner. So an unregistered collector's edition should be able to work with or without Internet access. (after registering the serial number)

Last edited:
Again, thanks for all the replies. I just submitted a ticket to the Help Desk so hopefully I'll get an answer on whether or not I'd be able to use a CD version of T:ANE that's been possibly registered by someone else. so I can still work on my route without an internet connection. I think it's pretty doubtful I'll find a CD version that's brand new. Once I get a response, I'll let you know the outcome.

Happy Friday. Here's the response I got back from the help desk.
Unfortunately only boxed versions of TANE that were sold from the 'simulator central' or Trainz Store websites have the option to be run offline, versions sold by other stores did not have this option. We cannot say if a version on Ebay may or may not have this option.

Please keep in mind that if the serial number has already been registered to an account, then it would not be able to be registered again, as Trainz licenses are not transferable.

So my question is now, is it possible that a T:ANE CD didn't have a serial number ?

That part I didn't know. I always though all box copies were able to run offline regardless of where they came from, not exclusively from the Trainz store.
I always learn something new. Thanks for sharing the outcome.

Cheers

Update: I found a T:ANE cd being sold on line that the seller told me was purchased through AMAZON . He says he doesn't see a serial number on it.

Do you think this might work for using off line ? I'd run this by the help desk again, but I don't know if they can get back to me fast enough.
Thanks

Update: I found a T:ANE cd being sold on line that the seller told me was purchased through AMAZON . He says he doesn't see a serial number on it.

Do you think this might work for using off line ? I'd run this by the help desk again, but I don't know if they can get back to me fast enough.
Thanks
Probably not. Only some versions sold directly from N3V work off line.

Sorry John

Back