Return on the VIA RDC

VIA6415

Canaidan Route Builter
23511442_10154752375321199_8530141884646095061_o.jpg

Looks like it is more modernized than the ones I saw back in Expo '86 days.
VIA_RDC-1_6133.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a number of the old CPR and CNR found their way into MBTA operations when we found ourselves short on equipment. These things run forever and it's great to see them restored to a pristine condition.

Not the VIA one, but in 1986 I travelled from Prince George to North Vancouver on a BC Rail Budd Car. Long way on a DMU, even though I was travelling in the refurbished premium class car.

And I got bowled out by VIA having intended earlier in the trip to "leap" from Calgary to Edmonton on their Budd car service, to find it had been withdrawn. Too many level crossing collisions so deemed too much of a safety risk for passenger operations. Ended up with three hours cramped in a Greyhound bus instead!

Gee whiz! If that's the inside of that RDC, that's 1st class! I remember the inside of the PRSL RDC's that ran to the NJ shore in the late 60's. They had no more than school bus seats. No frills at all. Although, IIRC, you could move the seat back so you'd be traveling frontwards if you wanted.

These things run forever and it's great to see them restored to a pristine condition.

Then why were the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's four Ex-MBTA RDC's plagued by failures of their air conditioning? TVRM's vintage passenger cars didn't have this problem.

Then why were the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's four Ex-MBTA RDC's plagued by failures of their air conditioning? TVRM's vintage passenger cars didn't have this problem.

They may need a bit of rebuilding sure, but the old MBTA units, before they were depowered, worked fine. The MBTA turned them into coaches pulled by Easter Eggs, which ruined how they worked.

By mid-1980s, the B&M inherited all the Budd Cars plus purchased others to supplement their service from many railroads when Conrail gave up the commuter service. We saw RDCs with CNJ, PRSL, B&O, NH, NYC, B&O, LV, CNR, and even CPR. Our B&M RDCs never had striped ends. That would be New Haven, or some other acquired road.

F10%201150%20and%20RDCs%20as%20Coaches,%20South%20Station,%20Boston_8_797Edited.jpg

Gee whiz! If that's the inside of that RDC, that's 1st class! I remember the inside of the PRSL RDC's that ran to the NJ shore in the late 60's. They had no more than school bus seats. No frills at all. Although, IIRC, you could move the seat back so you'd be traveling frontwards if you wanted.

We never had the plush seats like this either!

Back