Issue with Drive To/Via commands

Yorkshire

An issue I have come across recently is the inconsistency of the 'Drive Via' & 'Drive to' commands. An example - a train stops at a platform to load passengers. There are 2 junctions between the platform and the next trackmark, however, by default, they are set so that they don't require changing for the train to travel towards that trackmark. After loading the passengers, the signal is green but the train doesn't move! Yet the path is set and clear. Manually inserting the 'Autodive through' trackmark command and deleting the 'Drive via' command enables the train to immediately continue its journey. It seems the Drive to & Drive via command sometimes need a junction to change before they will work. But it is inconsistent.

I know that the TH R Route list & Path Rule commands always required you to use Autodrive & not combine with Drive To/via, but it seems this method is creeping in to the standard commands. I don't remember it being like this in the past! Anyone else experienced this or any insights to offer as to what is going on.

I just did a couple of quick tests using "Drive To" on one of my routes. It worked in both cases - with and without junctions to set. I don't have the TH R Route.

Both of those assets are, on the surface, quite old being trainz build 2.0 but as they are nothing more than scripts it is possible that the scripts have been updated over the years. I do recall that for a while we were told to not use them and to use the Navigate to and Navigate via commands but then recently that advice was flipped to the opposite. Personally, I see issues with them wanting to look beyond the next switch to the second switch or even three switches down the path that the AI loco has plotted to get to its destination. It often becomes of game of flipping switches further down the line to get the loco to move or for a signal to go green. This can be a real pain when these switches are not in the area of the loco. This seems like a bug but getting a set of repro steps has proven to be difficult. I've you can repro the behavior then it would be good to submit a bug report.

I just did a couple of quick tests using "Drive To" on one of my routes. It worked in both cases - with and without junctions to set.

Thanks for the test. And this is true also of my new route at times. I did say it was inconsistent. I am trying to work out what is going on and why at one part of the layout, this behaviour occurs and not at another. Though quite regularly, a consist will obey the Drive via command at the beginning of a session, but later in the session, with junctions set as before, the problem emerges. Strange.

This seems like a bug but getting a set of repro steps has proven to be difficult. I've you can repro the behavior then it would be good to submit a bug report.

Thanks for the response, seems you have had a similar experience - frustration! I have solved the problem by using the command 'SetOne Jnc' befor the Jnc that 'Drive via' won't set. The problem with reporting it is that it begins later in the session and is related to my route. Perhaps one of the team might pick it up from this thread, but thanks for the suggestion.

Yorkshire

I've run into this in the past and even reported the issue to N3V but never heard back.

My workaround is to place signals along the route or sometimes an intermediate track mark as a way to coaxing the AI through the points.

I've run into this in the past and even reported the issue to N3V but never heard back.

My workaround is to place signals along the route or sometimes an intermediate track mark as a way to coaxing the AI through the points.

At least I am not alone! kind of reassuring in one sense.

Back