RDC

The Reading and Northern actually has 3 but they might only use 2 at the moment for the excursions to Jim Thorpe from Reading, Port Clinton, Pottsville, etc. Reading Tech Museum in Hamburg at the northern end of the former Blue Mountain & Reading tourist line which is still owned by the Reading and Northern which was formed in Dec. 1990 and the BM&R name was retired after 1995 owns a few RDC's they got from MBTA, there were two sitting at Temple Station north of Reading with the T logo still on them several years ago They might be demotored though. Reading and Northern bought a few more from somewhere recently to have additional cars for more capacity, the rides often sell out. I wonder if Amtrak or a commuter railroad can solve the problem in NY and Boston where you have two stations that aren't directly connected and require a taxi, Uber/Lyft, subway or bus ride between them. Like Penn Station and Grand Central. South Station and North Station. The only way to get from NY to Portland Maine by train requires a several block transfer between South and North Stations.
Some of those demotored RDC's previously lived at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. Their air conditioning was always breaking down. I remember one Railfest, which is our big annual event, we had a RDC on the Missionary Ridge Local, and the A/C broke down, so it had to be taken off. Southern GP30 2594 was fired up to replace the car and wouldn't you know it when 2594 went to couple to the RDC, the coupling pin didn't drop into place, so they had to try again, a few times, to be exact, before the pin dropped in. Those RDC's were always causing trouble for the crews.

Some of those demotored RDC's previously lived at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. Their air conditioning was always breaking down. I remember one Railfest, which is our big annual event, we had a RDC on the Missionary Ridge Local, and the A/C broke down, so it had to be taken off. Southern GP30 2594 was fired up to replace the car and wouldn't you know it when 2594 went to couple to the RDC, the coupling pin didn't drop into place, so they had to try again, a few times, to be exact, before the pin dropped in. Those RDC's were always causing trouble for the crews.
At 71 years old, I'd expect things to be a bit worn. These Budd Liners put on millions of miles in commuter service prior to being de-motored and turned into passenger cars.

Last edited:
Here's an article from the 1950s on how the B&M used their Budd Liners.

I was able to download this a few years ago from the BMRRHS www.bmrrhs.org archives, but the article is no longer available for download, so I linked to the copy I have.

Back