A Question On Showcasing

SuperSpeedMaglev

Wonderfully Old Fashioned
Now, most won't be a fan of me bringing up the name BillVu(the banned user) but I am tempted to do my own repaints, STRICTLY for private use only and not for release(I'm not one for doing that anyway with content that's not made by me), I may even modify engines slightly, like I said, this would be for PRIVATE use only. Not releasing it, nor passing it off as my own!

If I went ahead with this, would it be ok if I showcased it?
(For example, say I repainted a A4, changed the driving bogey and screenshoted and showed it off here, on the forums)

I should mention as a disclaimer, I would only being screenshotting it and showcasing on the forums, not videoing.

I'm asking as I want to play it safe before I consider myself truely having the green light, better safe than sorry!

Last edited:
(For example, say I repainted a A4, changed the driving bogey and screenshoted and showed it off here, on the forums)

Showing off your own work in the appropriate forums is completely acceptable, regardless of whether it is entirely your own or is based on someone else's work. As a matter of politeness you might want to mention what it is based on, and that would also be helpful in informing people of how they might be able to do similar things for themselves.

But there are no issues with showing pictures of what you have done. It is only re-publishing the actual work that creates problems.

Showing off your own work in the appropriate forums is completely acceptable, regardless of whether it is entirely your own or is based on someone else's work.

But there are no issues with showing pictures of what you have done. It is only re-publishing the actual work that creates problems.

These two points are EXACTLY what I wanted to know, thank you very much, I'll try and remember the 'mention what it's based on' point if I can. :)

Minor point:
In some licenses you will find that the creator does not even allow sharing of screenshots of that item if you reskinned it.
So read the license of the asset.

I have never come across a license where you find that the creator states that they do not even allow sharing of screenshots of that item, but if that is stated, the license applies ... and there is "No Screenshots" of reskins

If a creator license says: "NO Reskins allowed" you can still make reskins for use on your own PC ... There is no copywrite in the world that make it illegal to reskin an asset for use on your own PC. If you post a screenshot reskin of their asset, they can demand that you remove the screenshot ... There is no court in any land that would hear a lawsuit case for a reskin/screenshot that is only used on your own PC

Lets get real folks ... Forum lawyers (and their big brothers lawyers) can not, CAN NOT, enforce "No reskins/screenshots" posted on the Forum, for use on your own PC

I would think that Steve Lerro would have a legal case ... but pursuing it in court would surely take thousands of dollars, and years of waiting, for a court case

Even people like Billvu, and even people who steal, trade, post redistributation links, resell payware assets, have little, or no fear, that the FBI will ever come banging on their door to seize their PC's

Even people who illegally reskin and redistribute freeware assets have absolutely no fear of legal retaliation ... as it really ain't a' gonna happen in the real world of courts ... it will only happen in the minds of 16 year old's, and Forum "wanna' be lawyers", that have no real legal expertise... even real barred lawyers have no chance of getting a case to court ... No court, in any land, would even take time out to hear the court case ... legal retaliation will never take place ... let's be real ... It just aint' a gonna' happen

Last edited:
In some licenses you will find that the creator does not even allow sharing of screenshots of that item if you reskinned it.
So read the license of the asset.
The creator can state what they want in the license, but that can't prevent showcasing modified versions. Like the license that requires you to agree that the FBI can come around to your house and seize your computer! It just isn't possible to impose these sorts of conditions on anyone..

What content has this?
"If you are in possession of these files and are using them in an illegal copy of Auran's Trainz, you are in violation of this EULA and as such, even without reading this file, have given full expressed permission for your local or national law enforcement agencies to seize said computer equipment that may be used in the storage or distribution of these products for the express purpose of protecting these products' copyrights. This document is permission to seize and detain any materials used for the illegitimate operation and/or distribution of these products." QR 3102 bronco,<kuid2:45335:3105:1> You have been warned!

if the author is deceased the asset becomes public domain because the author cant file a DMCA if he/she is dead
If the author is deceased, he/she has heirs, who became owner of the content. So, no, it does not become public domain and those can still file a DMCA.

example if person X was to die he/she could put in his/her will to transfer the copyrights of his/her content to person X junior is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
he/she could put in his/her will to transfer the copyrights of his/her content to person X junior is that correct?
You don't have to put stuff in your will for the transfer of ownership to happen. Kids can refuse to take ownership of what their parents leave behind (usually in case of debts), but in case of no debts they usually accept ownership.
All depends on local laws of course, but better assume someone is still the owner and check before assuming you can just do whatever.

Last edited:
example if person X was to die he/she could put in his/her will to transfer the copyrights of his/her content to person X junior is that correct?
Until ownership is transferred to a beneficiary, the estate still owns the copyright and can enforce it exactly as if the person were still alive to do it themselves. Once ownership is transferred the beneficiary is responsible for enforcing copyright. So whether the original creator is still living or not, the rules stay the same.

Come back after 80 years wait, and the asset will be a free for all, all yours to do with as you please ... not that anyone will be playing train simulators by the year 2097

Back