Ground Textures will no longer apply

Greetings,

Working on a layout and have a good 50 hours into it. Yesterday I tried applying some textures, which I had used already in another area and now they will not paint. The asset is listed in the pick list, shows no faults in CM. I select the texture, the brush cursor activates, yet when clicking to apply nothing happens. This is just with some textures, i.e. Cab Water Deep is just one example. I tried adding a new layer, same thing, no joy. So I created a new, empty route and the textures will paint... :confused: I also own TANE so I tried to export the route to it to see if I could use them there. The route will import but there are no baseboards so that was futile.

The route show no errors/faults in CM. Has anyone ever experience this? I'll be happy to share the route if anyone wants to test it. I've rebuilt the database, rebooted the box, etc. It's very frustrating since I've done so much work and now I can't move on.

Bill

Not got TMR17 however have you tried a database repair? TMR17 routes are a version above TANE so won't import to TANE until SP2 is released.

Have you by any chanceconverted from 10m to 5m grid whilst building the route? I have found by sad experience that this can cause funny things to happen.

Ray

Try cloning the route, that sometimes fixes peculiar problems.
Or
Save as and give a different name.
Or
Create a one board blank route, merge it with your route and save as a new route might fix it.

Well, I fixed the problem. After giving Ray's post some thought, I thought what the heck so I did change the grid from 10 to 5 and the textures painted. I changed it back from 5 to 10 and now they are painting again. How weird.

Malc,
I did try your suggestions all but the 1 board and merge trick; but I'll keep that in mind if something happens again.

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate it!!

Bill

There is a limit to the number of ground textures you can paint on a single baseboard. This is per baseboard not per layer. 256 or there abouts is the limit. Consider too that each vertex in the baseboard grid can have up to 5 ground textures applied to it at a time. A new one applied over a previous one just pushes the previous one a little further down on the list for that vertex. What you see displayed is a composite of all the ones that are still in the list for that vertex.

Various things you do might force the game to update the per baseboard lists. If it results in reducing the number of active textures below the limit painting goes on as usual until the list is filled again.

Not saying this is the problem you had but if you're using a lot of ground textures it might be.

I'll just note in older versions of Trainz the limit for the entire route was 256 ground textures.

Bob Pearson

I'm glad my suggestion seems to have helped. But very strange as you say. As for me, I was not aware that you could change back from 5m to 10m. We learn something every day!

Ray

"I'll be happy to share the route if anyone wants to test it."
I would love to give your route a few runs and take some screenshots on it. I'm looking for a change in scenery you might say. :hehe:

ministerfarrigut

I'll post some screenies this weekend. it's no where near complete; but i'll show what I have. I'll ping you when I post.

Bill

There is a limit to the number of ground textures you can paint on a single baseboard. This is per baseboard not per layer. 256 or there abouts is the limit. Consider too that each vertex in the baseboard grid can have up to 5 ground textures applied to it at a time. A new one applied over a previous one just pushes the previous one a little further down on the list for that vertex. What you see displayed is a composite of all the ones that are still in the list for that vertex.

Various things you do might force the game to update the per baseboard lists. If it results in reducing the number of active textures below the limit painting goes on as usual until the list is filled again.

Not saying this is the problem you had but if you're using a lot of ground textures it might be.

I'll just note in older versions of Trainz the limit for the entire route was 256 ground textures.

Bob Pearson

I have had the this problem, but came to realize, at least in my experience, that the limit is 256, approx. per board,,,...I may be wrong. I always, try to use as much variety texture wise, as in nature...endless, of course. Once this occurs, I simply use one of the ones Ive already used, but which is similiar. Ive never been successful in going from 5m, to 10m, as the warning states, once you commit to 5m grid, you cant reverse back to 10.... Possibly this has been changed upgraded.

Ive
never been successful in going from 5m, to 10m, as the warning states, once you commit to 5m grid, you cant reverse back to 10.... Possibly this has been changed upgraded.

This is what I thought and have never been successful when I tried (just as an experiment) to revert, although only as far as TS10 or maybe 12 - I can't remember. What I do try to remember (not always successfully) is to convert to 5mm before doing anything else. The problem of converting later, when building a virtual model railway using digholes, is that the digholes play funny tricks.

Incidentally, digholes do not always dig the size of hole they are supposed too and need to be overlapped!

Ray

Ive

This is what I thought and have never been successful when I tried (just as an experiment) to revert, although only as far as TS10 or maybe 12 - I can't remember. What I do try to remember (not always successfully) is to convert to 5mm before doing anything else. The problem of converting later, when building a virtual model railway using digholes, is that the digholes play funny tricks.

Incidentally, digholes do not always dig the size of hole they are supposed too and need to be overlapped!

Ray

I too ended up with a rather icky mess with the textures after adjusting the mesh after the fact. What were once smoothly blended textures turned into squares and blocks. Reverting the baseboard back to 10 meters only made matter worse as well. In the end I ended up deleting that baseboard and redoing it all over, which wasn't for the better in this case.

Probably out of memory. Certainly in TANE, from which TMR is derived, you sometimes find texture or terrain changes not appearing. Exit the route, reboot your machine and you will find you have made the changes just that Surveyor wasn't displaying them.

Also OP, out of interest, in the Settings screen where you choose the number of backups to keep (it is under Dev in TANE) what number is this set too? If 7 (the ludicrous default) immediately drop this to 1 as otherwise chews up HD space at an extraordinary rate. And check periodically Trainz hasn't reset it back to 7. This huge (and IMHO un-necessary) backup process eventually chews up so much disc space, swap file and virtual memory no longer function.

Last edited:
Greetings Vern,

It's set at 1 for daily's. At any rate this is a high end box running an i7 water cooled processor, 32G ram, an ASUS Titan card with triple BenQ 27's. Both TMR17 and TANE are on their on 1TB SSDs so disc space is not an issue. I actually think that I'd hit the 256 bulkhead.

I appreciate everyone's responses. The help here is amazing.

Bill

Back