A BIG Plea to Creators of assets

Hello to all, hope you are all well, long time no posts.

I would like to thank Blackwatch for making this post, it saves me making a new one. I use Trainz 2010, as I have found it more stable and error free out of most of the Trainz franchise, However, I have found over time the DLS is becoming more and more unavailable to users of Trainz 2012 and below, items dated 2013 onwards cannot be downloaded in Trainz 2010 or 2012, I have a lifetime first class ticket, but it cannot get round the updated items. I think N3V shoud try and build a new TANE database with all the items cloned and updated on there. That way it would leave the original DLS database intact for users of older versions of Trainz.

I have the new TANE, but it is still in its early stages and very buggy and stuttery on my old system, I am willing to buy the next updated version in the future with all errors and bugs taken out, but for now I would like to continue to use my Trainz 2010 for now with full access to the DLS. Please to any content updaters, please if you can pre date the items before 2010, I would be very much grateful.

Many thanks to all, and it is good to be back.

Joe Airtime

I have been told, that no older assets are being changed / removed from the DLS, the original legacy assets are still there (if you untick higher trainz versions tick box's), and the updated assets are standing alone, above the old original assets, and no DLS cleanup member can totally change, and trash an original asset so that it will no longer work in legacy versions of Trainz (this is what I have been told). If you have a higher trainz-build asset, can't you change (backdate) the trainz-build numeral, so that the updated asset will work in lower versions (I don't know the exact method of backdating assets in 09, 10, 12, and getting them to recognize the edited trainz-build numeral) ?

Having a lifetime FCT, and T:ANE Dlx, I would think that you should be able to download all assets, aside from when there are too many connections and the DLS is full, or down

Last edited:
To find an original asset for an updated item if you have not got TS12 SP1 or TANE

1. Make sure you have the show build versions displayed in Content Manager, so you can avoid wasting time trying to download an item that is for a higher build.
2. For an updated item you might want an original or older version for, right click and show assets versions.
3. Make a note of the kuid number of the version suitable for your version of Trainz.
4. Go to the DLS web page.
5. Search on the kuid from 3.
6. You will get the page up for the original item, it will say updates available, this you can ignore.
7. Download it directly, do not use the Download helper or you may end up with the updated version!
8. Import it to Trainz.

For TS12 61388 and TANE
You can download any version you like by listing versions, highlighting the old version you want, select the "Download This version option". You can then just save to cdp and install in Trainz 2004 or whatever.

As he asked about updated assets ... What is the method of backdating assets, and their dependencies in 09, 10, 12 ... is it similar to the process in TRS2006, where you delete 2 particular files, and restart the CM and let the TAD rebuild ?

No it isn't, you just edit the asset and commit it, if it is actually possible to Backdate, due to changes between versions and new techniques being used and larger textures, it's probably not a good idea to mess with stuff unless you really know what you are doing.

I would like to thank Blackwatch for making this post, it saves me making a new one. I use Trainz 2010, as I have found it more stable and error free out of most of the Trainz franchise, However, I have found over time the DLS is becoming more and more unavailable to users of Trainz 2012 and below, items dated 2013 onwards cannot be downloaded in Trainz 2010 or 2012, I have a lifetime first class ticket, but it cannot get round the updated items. I think N3V shoud try and build a new TANE database with all the items cloned and updated on there. That way it would leave the original DLS database intact for users of older versions of Trainz.

I have the new TANE, but it is still in its early stages and very buggy and stuttery on my old system, I am willing to buy the next updated version in the future with all errors and bugs taken out, but for now I would like to continue to use my Trainz 2010 for now with full access to the DLS. Please to any content updaters, please if you can pre date the items before 2010, I would be very much grateful.

Joe Airtime

TANE is more stable now and its hardware requirements aren't quite as bad as once they were. Depending on the rotue I actually get better frame rates in TANE than TS12 / TS2010. Dare I ask what your hardware is? Is it a laptop? If its a desktop then it may be capable of upgrading to a GTX 1060 GPU which are less than £200 these days.

Cheerio John

Hi John, great to hear from you again and many thanks for replying to my individual post,

I must admit my computer and especially my graphics card is quite old, needs a new graphics card, I have a GTX 560, so need to upgrade, trying to get around Tane is a learning curve and is quite difficult when it stutters a lot. I am looking into upgrading my computer after Christmas, everything is cheaper then.

By the way, Thank you for your superb content on the DLS, your vans are superb and fit in great with the steam age.

Take care my friend

Joe Airtime

Hi John, great to hear from you again and many thanks for replying to my individual post,

I must admit my computer and especially my graphics card is quite old, needs a new graphics card, I have a GTX 560, so need to upgrade, trying to get around Tane is a learning curve and is quite difficult when it stutters a lot. I am looking into upgrading my computer after Christmas, everything is cheaper then.

By the way, Thank you for your superb content on the DLS, your vans are superb and fit in great with the steam age.

Take care my friend

Joe Airtime

The new ones on lnerlover5's new chassis are the nice ones. They will run on TS12 but TANE is more suited to them look for the word early in the title. I'm hoping for a 17'6" chassis sometime which is better for the most vans. There is a GTX 1060 card about the same price as a GTX 960 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html but the performance is substantially better. The 3 gig card is cheaper and has about 5% less performance than the 6 gig card and that's the one I'd think about. Very new so not that many packaged machines out there yet. ebuyer has one or two.

On the CPU side it's not so critical but the i7 has nicer caches. I wouldn't bother with O/C.

Cheerio John

As he asked about updated assets ... What is the method of backdating assets, and their dependencies in 09, 10, 12 ... is it similar to the process in TRS2006, where you delete 2 particular files, and restart the CM and let the TAD rebuild ?

Re; Contents that's been updated to TS2012 SP1 HF4 3.7 ver

I download the content via FTP (if content is say 3.7 on the DLS) and "Import" the .cdp into my TS2012 49922 or TS2010 Content Manager. That 3.7 content obviously won't run in TS2012 Pre-Sp1 49922 because it need to be 3.6 (or below).
The easiest I found is to open the assets "Config File" in "Explorer", change the build number from say; 3.7 to 3.6 TS2012 49922 or to 3.3 TS2010 49933. Once you have changed the build number to a lower build number, "Save" the config file. Then go back to CM and go to: "Edit", then "Commit" asset. Wella, most 3.7 content runs in both 3.6 & 3.3...

Whilst I have Tane and it seems to run reasonably well on my mid spec'ed PC, I still prefer to spend 90+% of my Trainzing time in TS2012 49922 because it still retains "compatibility mode" for running older content. (3.6 and below). I spend a lot of time modifying a Murchison 2 payware route that was originally built for 06, then upgraded to run in 09, 10 & 12 pre-sp1... (Added a couple of 100k's to the route, joined up all the 3ft NG gauge, added a ton of content, total .cdp's for the modified M2 route, 4000+, etc, etc)...

I'll probably stay working in TS2012 49922 until Michael (sirgibby) & N3V launches the new updated TANE version of Murchison 2 which will have a lot of the newer Tane content. "Murchison 2 on steroids".... (it's being worked on as we speak, but unfortunately Michael can't give a launch date). Far more time consuming than Michael originally anticipated...

Looking forward to the new Tane version of Murchison 2 with a lot of new content, rather than
just having the same TS2009 version of M2 updated so the old contents WORKS in Tane...

I've changed a lot of BenDorsey's recent 3.7 content (3ft NG loco's & rolling stock in particular) from 3.7 back to either 3.6 or 3.3 so that they will run in TS2012 49922 (pre-SP1) and or TS2010 49933. You have to also change any (& all) dependencies the asset might have to either 3.6 or 3.3 for the asset to be able to run in either TS2012 Pre-Sp1 or TS2010...

Another thing that N3V hasn't as yet clarified is whether or not support for TS2012 is going to be continued after September 2016. (If it is, then for how long)???

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:

Joe Airtime

+1 same waiting for stable ver before i get a new computer. SO 2010 is my goto

Back