COMPASS

carr

Hi,

I did something stupid, by building a layout in the wrong direction. East instead of North. Does anyone know if it is possible to either realign the Compass or to turn the boards around to face the correct direction?

I think I know the Answer.

Sorry. You can't rotate a route completely. It's something we've asked for since the beginning of Trainz time.

You can, however, copy a complete baseboard Use the copy and paste tool, do the selection and use CTRL- arrow to resize the box for a complete baseboard. With the baseboard selected and copied, you can then paste the content on a new baseboard. It's cumbersome, but it works. Be prepared though for a long wait as stuff gets pasted if you have a lot of content to paste. I tried this once with more than one baseboard, but the copy/paste area 0was too awkward to handle.

John

Try switching the route's region to "Antartica." In that way every direction will be north. (just kidding no such thing)

Yea, right. With 120 boards I think it would be a impossible task to copy and paste, thanks anyway. Must take more notice in future which way compass is facing. thanks.

When a blank baseboard is created, it originally looks East ... I place tracks in the center where the compass is (forming an X) then I have a central reference point to work from ... then rotate 90 degrees, and you will be facing North

When a blank baseboard is created, it originally looks East ... I place tracks in the center where the compass is (forming an X) then I have a central reference point to work from ... then rotate 90 degrees, and you will be facing North

Agreed an initial reference direction pointer track is the way to go.

@carr: Now that the damage is done, other than sunrise and sunset being in the wrong place, why do you find it a concern?

Last edited:
I have another route which is facing North, that I wanted to merge with it. Now impossible of course.

I've made the same mistake myself where I had a harbor on the west side of a peninsula facing the open ocean instead of the east side like it would be where I expected it to be. I ended up modifying the land a bit to include another point so the once open ocean facing harbor was more secluded and protected. It wasn't what I wanted initially but became a happy accident as they call it. Now I'm more careful of the compass orientation.

There is one way to solve your problem, Carr. You could offset the merger candidate route, the one you're bringing in, by a number of baseboards and then build some in between boards to blend in the route to the correct direction. I've done that myself for the same reason in the past. It isn't ideal but it works.

John

John (JCitron),

I think I understand what you are saying. But surely you would still end up with one route North and the other East even if you put in a couple of new baseboards for extra track to connect the two routes.

Mark

John (JCitron),

I think I understand what you are saying. But surely you would still end up with one route North and the other East even if you put in a couple of new baseboards for extra track to connect the two routes.

Mark

Sadly this is true, Mark. The route will still be oriented incorrectly, but you'll be able to merge in the section you want to albeit in a roundabout way.

John

Yes it was, but Hey Ho! what's done is done. It's a bit like having two northern routes that start a at different location but meet in the north of the country only to find that one of then has technically ended up in the Pacific. I know its a ridicules thing to say but you get my drift. We learn by our mistakes. However it would be nice if when starting a new route the boards were orientated North in the first place. Instead of East.

In the US we have "beltways" around cities, where you often find yourself traveling in a direction 90 degrees different than what the road signs say. This could become your rationale too (for example you have to travel east to get around a major body of water to be able to go north). Just put a big body of water at the inside corner of the merger.

Last edited:
I like your thinking, a 600 mile diversion that should be just a single set of points. And a road junction, bloody road signs!

Back