You are NOT the AMINISTRATOR of your PC

its probably not a good idea to spread this around to those who don't really know what they are getting in to. i mean no offense but just by the way to frantically worded your post you probably shouldn't know this either. there should be no problems installing trainz anywhere except in vista, where you might have to run as administrator, but that should take care of it.

You are right ... that people that do not know alot about PC's should not attempt this.

I mean, I have wondered why CMP does not open up for me ... that is because I am not the true Administrator.

True ... I could constantly go to "properties", of each and every program.exe file, and tick off box's thart say: "Run AS Administrator".

Last edited:
You are NOT the AMINISTRATOR of your PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LrIP4LNwh4

Changing the name of your: User Account Name to: Administrator, does not make you the "true Administrator".

Unless you are the true "Administrator", you are not the Administrator, and you are instead: a "User".

If you installed Trainz as a "USER" (and not the "Administrator") using the "install" button, (instead of the "Setup.exe" "Run As Administrator"), Trainz installed in the default C:\Program files ... This is NOT he correct installation placement, and if you installed being a "User" (instead of the "Administrator") you do not have administrative rights over Trainz, or your PC.

How many people are running their PC and Trainz as a "USER", and not the true "ADMINISTRATOR" ?

To correctly install Trainz, the correct placement is a file completly outside of C:\Progarm files ...

A custom made "NEW" file, made by you: Example: C:\Games\Auran\ ...

Old news, I think it was even brought up in this forum a year ago.

Not to mention that if you’re on a dedicated gaming PC, UAC would be turned off from the start to begin with.

By Turning off the UAC:

But then you would miss out on all those annoying Warnings: Are you really, really, sure, that you are absoluley certain, that you really, really want to allow this program to run". :p

If you are sure and want to stay on this page, press Cancel, to exit page press OK.

Last edited:
I would strongly not advise turning off the UAC.

I can give a (technical) explanation on why, if needed. (basically, you would have to reinstall Trainz if you do turn off UAC in order to use it without UAC being turned on)

Shane

EDIT: If you are prepared to reinstall Trainz (and any other games), it is possible to do so.

By Turning off the UAC:

But then you would miss out on all those annoying Warnings: Are you really, really, sure, that you are absoluley certain, that you really, really want to allow this program to run". :p

If you are sure and want to stay on this page, press Cancel, to exit page press OK.

Lol, no I don’t think I miss it I’m my gaming setups.

Even on one of my work machines that regularly connects to the internet I have UAC set one notch below default which makes it ”not so annoying”.

Here are two sites with some useful info on setting up Windows 7 -

http://www.sevenforums.com/

http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html

At least Windows 7 makes it a bit more flexible in terms of the UAC.

On Windows Vista though, it's (unfortunately) a on or off option only.

If Trainz is already installed, it's best not to mess with the UAC.

Shane

I would strongly not advise turning off the UAC.

I can give a (technical) explanation on why, if needed. (basically, you would have to reinstall Trainz if you do turn off UAC in order to use it without UAC being turned on)

Shane

EDIT: If you are prepared to reinstall Trainz (and any other games), it is possible to do so.

Hence the reason why I said it should turned off “from the start” on a dedicated gaming PC.

In addition to the links above here’s is a guide on setting up Windows 7 for running performance applications (games) -

http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187

its probably not a good idea to spread this around to those who don't really know what they are getting in to. i mean no offense but just by the way to frantically worded your post you probably shouldn't know this either. there should be no problems installing trainz anywhere except in vista, where you might have to run as administrator, but that should take care of it.

Installed 2010 in win 7 64 bit, ran the setup as admin, it installed to c:\program files x86 and guess what? Have never had 1 single issue...

Your right under vista it was big under win7 maybe not so much:D

yes TS2010 is much less of a problem. TRS2006 will give an issue one way or the other. either you run it as admin and lost the ability to drag items onto CMP or you dont and you get errors on opening CMP about not being able to write a key.

i have installed TS2010 many times for developing purposes on many parts of my harddrive without any problems.

Back