Computer Upgrade - Transfer of Information/files?

Currently running Trainz 2019 Platinum with a first class ticket on a 2015 iMac (less than optimal). I am purchasing a mid-range gaming PC. I am not a computer person, I just want to be clear on how the following will work and what I will need to do to be back up and running.

1. How do I load my current version of Trainz 2019 to my new computer? Is this done by just going into my account and redirecting it?
2. Will Trainz automatically recognize that I am not running the latest version of TS2019 and ask me to upgrade?
3. Am I correct in understanding that routes I have created are located on my current computer? If yes…….
4. What is the best way to move those existing routes (and other Trainz related stuff?) to my new computer? Where is this stuff on an iMac?
5. I have many pick lists created, are these on my current computer or coming from an outside Trainz source? Do I need to do anything?
6. Will Trainz recognize my new computer and know that I have an active first class ticket or do I need to tell it to recognize my new computer?
7. With changing to a PC from Apple, are my existing routes affected by this change, being that they were created with a different OS.
8. Since I purchased TS2019 for iMac will that impact my account because I am now using a PC or is my purchase still valid, just on a different platform/OS?

Thank you for your input. Before I fumble into this I want to have some idea as to expectations, and how much I manually need to do to get up and running again with access to all my routes.

I could be wrong but I think TS19 on a Mac is a different program to an intel based machine.

Look in MyTrainz at your digital downloads and you should see a windows download available. Download and install to your new machine.

Then use export to .cdp to create .cdps of your existing data.

Then you need to transfer them to the Windows machine. This is where the box marked then a miracle occurs appears in a flow chart. I don't have a lot of experience with Macs but if you're lucky you can create a share under windows then connect the Mac to the share and copy over the .cdps.

Then you import the .cdps on the new machine.

Best of luck and hopefully someone with more experience on doing this will fill in a few gaps.

Cheerio John

Currently running Trainz 2019 Platinum with a first class ticket on a 2015 iMac (less than optimal). I am purchasing a mid-range gaming PC. I am not a computer person, I just want to be clear on how the following will work and what I will need to do to be back up and running.

1. How do I load my current version of Trainz 2019 to my new computer? Is this done by just going into my account and redirecting it?
2. Will Trainz automatically recognize that I am not running the latest version of TS2019 and ask me to upgrade?
3. Am I correct in understanding that routes I have created are located on my current computer? If yes…….
4. What is the best way to move those existing routes (and other Trainz related stuff?) to my new computer? Where is this stuff on an iMac?
5. I have many pick lists created, are these on my current computer or coming from an outside Trainz source? Do I need to do anything?
6. Will Trainz recognize my new computer and know that I have an active first class ticket or do I need to tell it to recognize my new computer?
7. With changing to a PC from Apple, are my existing routes affected by this change, being that they were created with a different OS.
8. Since I purchased TS2019 for iMac will that impact my account because I am now using a PC or is my purchase still valid, just on a different platform/OS?

Thank you for your input. Before I fumble into this I want to have some idea as to expectations, and how much I manually need to do to get up and running again with access to all my routes.
Hello @Srobertson1956! I thought I would offer what advice I can to possibly help.

1. To download Trainz onto your new PC, go to your MyTrainz on the Trainz website and go to Download Trainz. Click the version of Trainz you want to install and choose your preferred install method (this is assuming you purchase the game from the Trainz Store).
2. If you are not running the latest build for TRS19, it might just install the latest one by default (117009 I think).
3 & 4. Not sure…
5. Picklists are on your current computer and you will have to recreate them on the new one. Sorry…
6. FCTs are allocated to your Trainz account and will work no matter where you use them.
7. Your routes will be totally fine! Since the two different OS versions of the game share content, they will be completely unaffected, except that if your new PC has an NVidia graphics card, you can now get PhysX and TurfFX.
8. This is the most unfortunate one, as PC and Apple versions are separate purchases. You will have to buy the game again for Windows. At that point, maybe upgrade to TRS22 to make use of the newer features and content.

I hope that any of this helps! 😁
Cheers

EDIT-Turns out that both OS versions of the game are one purchase. Oops. Sorry! The purchase page on the Trainz Store is kind of confusing. 😅

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think TS19 on a Mac is a different program to an intel based machine.

Look in MyTrainz at your digital downloads and you should see a windows download available. Download and install to your new machine.

Then use export to .cdp to create .cdps of your existing data.

Then you need to transfer them to the Windows machine. This is where the box marked then a miracle occurs appears in a flow chart. I don't have a lot of experience with Macs but if you're lucky you can create a share under windows then connect the Mac to the share and copy over the .cdps.

Then you import the .cdps on the new machine.

Best of luck and hopefully someone with more experience on doing this will fill in a few gaps.

Cheerio John
Thanks

Hello @Srobertson1956! I thought I would offer what advice I can to possibly help.

1. To download Trainz onto your new PC, go to your MyTrainz on the Trainz website and go to Download Trainz. Click the version of Trainz you want to install and choose your preferred install method (this is assuming you purchase the game from the Trainz Store).
2. If you are not running the latest build for TRS19, it might just install the latest one by default (117009 I think).
3 & 4. Not sure…
5. Picklists are on your current computer and you will have to recreate them on the new one. Sorry…
6. FCTs are allocated to your Trainz account and will work no matter where you use them.
7. Your routes will be totally fine! Since the two different OS versions of the game share content, they will be completely unaffected, except that if your new PC has an NVidia graphics card, you can now get PhysX and TurfFX.
8. This is the most unfortunate one, as PC and Apple versions are separate purchases. You will have to buy the game again for Windows. At that point, maybe upgrade to TRS22 to make use of the newer features and content.

I hope that any of this helps! 😁
Cheers
Thanks for your help.

If it's possible, you may be able to use your database from your Mac.
Once you have TRS19 installed, you should be able to copy your database.

Open finder and search where your build-folder is located. Copy that folder to an external device or your iCloud.

Download or copy your database-folder to your hard drive. You don't have to put that in c:/users/<login>/app data/local/N3V Games/TRS19 location.
You can rename the folder to something like TRS19_Data and place that anywhere on your hard drive, preferably a second drive and not your boot drive.

Once the data is copied over, start-up TRS19 on the PC.
Open Trainz Settings on the Launcher.
Click on the Install tab
Click on the ...

An Explorer window will open...

Navigate your disk until you find your freshly copied-over data-folder however you named it.
Click on the folder and click Select folder.

A quick "updating translation tables" box will appear and you'll be requested to restart.

When you restart, if all goes well, you should see your existing data and nothing will be lost.

If this doesn't work, export your content to CDPs and import that into the PC version.

If it's possible, you may be able to use your database from your Mac.
Once you have TRS19 installed, you should be able to copy your database.

Open finder and search where your build-folder is located. Copy that folder to an external device or your iCloud.

Download or copy your database-folder to your hard drive. You don't have to put that in c:/users/<login>/app data/local/N3V Games/TRS19 location.
You can rename the folder to something like TRS19_Data and place that anywhere on your hard drive, preferably a second drive and not your boot drive.

Once the data is copied over, start-up TRS19 on the PC.
Open Trainz Settings on the Launcher.
Click on the Install tab
Click on the ...

An Explorer window will open...

Navigate your disk until you find your freshly copied-over data-folder however you named it.
Click on the folder and click Select folder.

A quick "updating translation tables" box will appear and you'll be requested to restart.

When you restart, if all goes well, you should see your existing data and nothing will be lost.

If this doesn't work, export your content to CDPs and import that into the PC version.
I will give this a try, thanks.

Back