XP to VISTA-Memory Use.

Wobbly_Ron

Help!! I've just upgraded to a VISTA '64 bit' Ultimate OS on an Computer with 4 Gb of RAM. Like an idiot I thought like magic Trainz 2004 would be able to make use of the extra RAM available.

I find using 'Task Manger' while running the program that I'm only using around 41% of the Physical Memory available. (Approx 1.6 Gb). I've altered the Resourcememory line in the trainzoptions file to read 2000, but this seems to have very little effect.

Would altering the line KeepALLresources make much of a difference?

If anyone could give me some guidance about the best 'Starting Point' of setting up VISTA regarding memory usage etc and also some edit's for the trainzoptions file, I would much appreciate it.

Regards Graham

:'(

Last edited:
That's actually about right. My system, which also has 4Gb can use about 55-70%, but it hardly ever uses the full amount. You want some free ram though. If you use all your free ram, then the system will start caching things to the pagefile on your hard drive, which will slow the system down.

You should have the ResourceMemory tag in trainzoptions set to 2048, rather than 2000. 1Gb is actually 1024Mb. KeepAllResources should allow you to keep more of your content on a route cached, so set that to 1 in trainzoptions.

Chris

Vista isn't TRS2004 friendly. TRS2004 will only use a maximum of 2 gigs of memory no matter what you do to it.

My expectation is this will run more slowly than 32 bit XP. Vista will use the extra memory for disk caching etc.

Cheerio John

Not sure Vista is an upgrade. It's hard to beat XP SP3. 10% faster than Vista & lighter on hardware.

It depends upon the hardware. If you have a QuadCore processor on the latest motherboard with the latest generation of video cards, then it is recommended that you go with Vista 64-bit.

You run into performance problems with Vista when you use older hardware. The older hardware was optimized for Windows XP where as the latest hardware is optimized for Vista and beyond.

John

Back