Lessons learned from converting TRS2012 routes to TANE routes

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
I have now converted three of my 12 routes from TRS2012 to T:ANE specific routes which utilize procedural track with animated junctions. I thought I would share some of the lessons I have learned along the way with other route developers facing this conversion process.

FYI I decided to keep TRS2012 versions for my users and "clone" them, make changes, and then upload T:ANE specific versions. The TRS2012 routes would stay as they are and the T:ANE routes would be the ones that would continue to be supported into the future. The problems with SpeedTrees and the new procedural track only found in T:ANE made this approach necessary.

Some lessons I learned:

1. Do as much of your updating work in TRS2012 as you can. The surveyor in T:ANE is a bit buggy, especially involving texture replacement.

2. Old vintage content such as the power lines seems to be causing rendering problems in T:ANE. I had to replace all three types of powerlines I use in my routes with new updated ones that match the old ones. Unfortunately I found out that the using "replace assets" caused some siting issues with powerlines that I wasn't expecting. After replacing them I had to go back and ensure that the power lines were properly sited and not in the middle of roads or tracks. You can find my replacement powerlines listed under "MSGSapper" on the DLS. Just lay the pylons or poles. The wire attachments will automatically be done correctly....

3. Replacing my old track with the new procedural track brought up a few issues but mostly went ok. The issues were:

a. Check your rail from one end to the other and look for red circles at junctions. If you see a red circle you will need to fix that junction until it appears yellow or white. If you don't do this the junction will not look or function right.

b. On some sections of track you might see shadows. This was interesting as it meant the track was not exactly flush to the ground and you will need to fix it. I found this useful as it was harder to tell in TRS2012 which was why I missed the track height problems.

4. The water color didn't look right on any of my routes which were imported into T:ANE. You will need to reset the color in the T:ANE environment popup menu dialog to fix this (Menu>Edit Environment>Time Tab). It took me a while to figure out how to do this. Around the clock you will see some small dull green round marker beads. Click on any one of these to enable the spin dials. Click on the black line of the dial and drag it as far as it will go to the left on the dial. Repeat for the other two. After doing this you will need to reset the time on the clock. I also recommend:

a. Re-set the fog. I drag this to the far left to turn it off.

b. You may also need to adjust items in the "Environment" tab.

5. SpeedTrees really negatively effects performance in T:ANE (as well as in TRS2012). Consider replacing as many of these as you can with either Malc's non-seasonal billboard trees (CLAM1952) or my own seasonal billboard trees (MSGSapper). It will make a big performance difference on your route.

6. Expect to replace a number of items that were previously built into TRS2012 but not into T:ANE. N3V will eventually makes these available on the DLS but you might die of old age before that happens because they are so tied up on everything else and probably will be for some time. It's easier to replace these items, if that is an option. Same goes for content by other developers. Some are good at keeping their stuff up but many are not because they are no longer interested in Trainz or something has happened to them. Don't fight this, just replace the content with newer stuff. Look at this as an opportunity to update and keep your Trainz route current.

7. You can "upload to the DLS" your build 4.2 (T:ANE) routes using the T:ANE CMP. For now though they will not show up on the DLS white pages, but can be downloaded by people searching for routes using the T:ANE CMP. Note: If you clone an older route and decide to use the new procedural track you will probably need to edit the config.txt file for that route and manually change the build number to 4.2.

Bob

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your insights on this. At the moment I am repairing imported content, and importing stuff from TS12. Due to the built-ins not being available from TS12, I have a lot of missing dependencies which I will have to manually replace. I agree it's time to move on and up and leave the older stuff behind even if it does get fixed.

John

Hi Bob,

Perhaps you can give me a little help, are there any other procedural tracks other than TANE track? I too am waiting for N3V to get more stuff out so I can import my UK route into TANE. I appreciate your little insights, they will help. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Dave

2. Old vintage content such as the power lines seems to be causing rendering problems in T:ANE. I had to replace all three types of powerlines I use in my routes with new updated ones that match the old ones. Unfortunately I found out that the using "replace assets" caused some siting issues with powerlines that I wasn't expecting. After replacing them I had to go back and ensure that the power lines were properly sited and not in the middle of roads or tracks. You can find my replacement powerlines listed under "MSGSapper" on the DLS. Just lay the pylons or poles. The wire attachments will automatically be done correctly....

At the same time, confirm that trees are not interfering with the power lines. That has not been done for some of the included routes in T:ANE, and subtracts significantly from the realism, especially in light of the disastrous fires in Victoria that were caused by trees bringing down power lines. Trees must be kept well back from the line of poles.

Your routes are among my favorites in TS 12, and I look forward to running them in TANE as well when I reinstall it somewhere down the road. Since I have decided that I am only putting TANE specific content into TANE, all your work is greatly appreciated.

At the same time, confirm that trees are not interfering with the power lines. That has not been done for some of the included routes in T:ANE, and subtracts significantly from the realism, especially in light of the disastrous fires in Victoria that were caused by trees bringing down power lines. Trees must be kept well back from the line of poles.

Although I didn't mention it I did that at the same time. You don't have to have perfection in this area though as even in real life trees are the bane of every power company and they are fighting a continuous battle to keep the lines clear of tree limbs.

Some other things I forgot to mention in my original post:

1. For every route I converted I first imported the TRS2012 route into T:ANE and then looked at the dependency list for that route. This list showed what was faulty or missing. I copied that list to a punch list which I worked from in the TRS2012 Surveyor to replace those items. Without that list you are spinning your wheels and won't know for sure if your route will be 100% compatible.

2. Try not to use vintage built-in items in your layout. Technically they do work in T:ANE but seem to be experiencing various rendering problems as reported by various users. Replace such items where possible with later build items preferably of build 3.1 or later.

3. Every route developer is going to be faced with having to make one of four choices for their routes. These are:

a. Do nothing. Don't upgrade the route and simply leave it as it is. Drawback: Eventually the route will no longer be used as it will be considered antiquated. Think about this. How many of the old TRS2004 or earlier routes that never got upgraded do YOU still use?

b. Upgrade it to a T:ANE specific version that makes use of the special features in T:ANE such as the new procedural track with animated junctions. Drawback: Only those with T:ANE will be able to use it.

c. Upgrade the existing route to TRS2012 standards but ensure the content is 100% compatible (ie; not missing or faulty) with T:ANE so it can be used in both TRS2012 and T:ANE. Drawback: You won't be able to make use of the T:ANE special features such as the new track types.

d. A combination approach where you upgrade the existing route to TRS2012 standards but ensure the content is 100% compatible (ie; not missing or faulty) with T:ANE so it can be used in both TRS2012 and T:ANE AND make a separate T:ANE specific version. In this approach you will end up with a TRS2012 version and a T:ANE version of your routes. The T:ANE version is what moves into the future and the TRS2012 becomes the legacy version. While the most tedious option to implement, this is the option I chose for my routes.

Bob

Hi Bob, Perhaps you can give me a little help, are there any other procedural tracks other than TANE track? I too am waiting for N3V to get more stuff out so I can import my UK route into TANE. I appreciate your little insights, they will help. Thanks a lot. Regards,
Dave

I believe more are in development by various developers but the TANE ones are currently all there are that I am aware of.

Bob

Thanks to both of you, Bob and Brian, saved me having to look at each track type individually.

Regards,

Dave

Bob,

thank you for starting this thread and well formulated wording of worthwhile knowledge of experience TS12 to T:ANE.
Point 5 Speedtrees although i would say speedtrees not negative perform as they are supposed to be full seasonal 3D assets with a lot of polys if not designed well enough.
This requires more than normal testing and tuning,tweaking BUT once done this is what T:ANE is also about going tho the next level.
I make very good progress and vast 3D full seasoned forests to work "pretty well" already and still maintain a more than reasonable to very well fps which I call smooth enough given all circumstances. I not use any 2D bilboarding or sorts of except some older dead trees i not replaced yet
I converted and still convert/upgrade very old kuids too in a call it first sweep and later will slowly start replacing all the old one's and for sure after a few sweeps we will have a real T:ANE healthy level of assets and not have to look back anymore and go forward.
Procedural tracks Andi06 did a wonderful job i can recommend!
Thanks again Bob for this thread and your detailed experience covering most of mine too.

Roy

Further to Bobs suggestion with the "Edit Environment" adjustment of the Dials for changing the water colour, a good setting to start with is the Left Dial (red) is pointer on 9 , then Next dial (Green) on 10 , the Blue dial on 11 , If using "Cab Water Light" (In textures) it gives a very light Blue water colour.
Then you can try readjusting dials to get a colour too suit you.

Norm.

Do we know if the built in Russian trees from TS12 by Olegkhim are now on the DLS? (The bereza and derovo etc.). The problem I have is that most of my recent TS12 builds make extensive use of McGuirrel Speedtrees which as we know have no replacement in TANE. The Russian trees are billboards but they look reasonable and are performance friendly, at least until something better comes along.

Well that didn't go so well. Found well over half the Speedtrees in my Mount Hood route wouldn't download into TS12 being shown as obsolete (possibly because I'm now using the Steam version 612xx rather than 61388, despite both being 3.7 CMP) so instead of relatively easy forest replacement I'm presented with acres of empty ground terrain where the forest should have been.

Scratch that idea then!

Vern,

Not sure if you are aware of the trees that msgsapper has made using clam1952s' originals. These are billboards, but they fill the bill adequately for moving routes into TANE until a better Speedtree version comes along. In fact, I would say more than adequately and clam1952s line is excellent, Bushes and Trees. I used them during the move of my route and they look very good.

Regards,

Dave

Trees? Waiting for some T:ANE adjusted versions to appear on the DLS, was originally going to upgrade the originals but as they seem to work reasonably well, have upload the T:ANE ones under new kuid's, they are a bit darker in TANE more like they appear in TS12 and have added a T:ANE specfic tag to stop the Trees affecting smoke! Whatever gives a bit more choice to play with in TANE. Originals are CL Tree, TANE ones are CL Tree TN rest of the name as original.

Vern,

Not sure if you are aware of the trees that msgsapper has made using clam1952s' originals. These are billboards, but they fill the bill adequately for moving routes into TANE until a better Speedtree version comes along. In fact, I would say more than adequately and clam1952s line is excellent, Bushes and Trees. I used them during the move of my route and they look very good.

Regards,

Dave

That's not the real problem here Dave, it's the fact the slight difference between the Steam version and 61388 means I can't get the trees to appear in TS12 to replace in the first place! The whole point in purchasing TS12 on Steam vs my boxed edition was to avoid the tedium of applying all the service packs through to 61388. However, it appears I have little choice if I want to rework routes built in 61388 or using assets that have been upgraded to 61388 without leaving an earlier obsolete version available (unless N3V want to supply me with a gratis 61388 download to replace my two separate purchases... :) ).

Sorry Vern I misunderstood, I reinstalled not long ago (a few months) and it only took me 1 patch to get to 61388, I was surprised. I had version 46957 I think, not sure. anyway I hope you get it squared away.

Regards,

Dave

Hi,
I did a search on converting Trainz2012 routes to T:ANE a few days ago and your post came up. It seems to answer a lot of the questions I have but I'm just wondering if you could kindly direct me to some very basic information on how to import or convert a route. I've just installed T:ANE and I'd really appreciate any further help. Thanks

Hi,
I did a search on converting Trainz2012 routes to T:ANE a few days ago and your post came up. It seems to answer a lot of the questions I have but I'm just wondering if you could kindly direct me to some very basic information on how to import or convert a route. I've just installed T:ANE and I'd really appreciate any further help. Thanks

Just import the CDP file into your T:ANE content manager program. After that you can edit it in Surveyor. Be advised that if you are importing someone else's non-T:ANE route into T:ANE expect issues you might not be prepared to deal with if you are a newbie to this.....

Bob

Back