Windows 8.1 Experince

dricketts

Trainz Luvr since 2004
Any Windows 8.1 users out there? For the most part Trainz has ran well on my new Windows 8.1 machine but CM has been a pain in the arse. It never crashed on my old Vista set up but it's happening way too much with 8.1. It's taking the fun out of the game. I really get into working on something and CM crashes and has to do a EDR that takes about 3 hours.

Any 8.1 one users seeing the same?

Trainz TS2010
OS Microsoft Windows 8.1
Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
System ASUS-Notebook
Processor Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
HD Size 910.06 GB 5400 RPM
Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes
Display 15 in.
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 59 hertz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. N56JR.204, 10/31/2013

TS12 runs flawlessly for me on Windows 8.1. Content Manager, Surveyor, Driver - all run with no problems on my desktop computer. I haven't had to do a database repair since January! <knocks loudly on wood> :p

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 Update 1 and since doing the final update, things have settled down. I do get some crashes on exit from Trainz, but there is no sign of this except for a scan of the Event Viewer. The errors appear to link back to the old MSVC libraries which will be going away in TANE once and for all.

John

Unfortunately, Win 8.1 and trainz regardless of whether CMP or the game, tend to disagree at certain times. I've actually seen more crashes using Win 8.1 than with Win8 or the torture chamber known as Windows Vista. Not sure why that is, but I think its because trainz was not truly made for it.

My system specs are somewhat similar to yours although I have a desktop rather than a notebook. I mostly run TS12 but have run TS10 a few times with no problems.

I had to "upgrade" to Win 8 and then 8.1 after I screwed up my latest hardware upgrade. Given a chance I would have stayed with Win 7 but that's now history. I've had more problems with other programs rather than Trainz.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still getting an EDR about every 15 times I launch Trainz which is still way too much. I'll start manually checking that Taddameon is not running after every shutdown. I suspect something is still running in Trainz even after several minutes of quitting Trainz or CM.

I am also running Win 8.1 on a laptop. I seem to crash too often for my liking, but since I'm running T10EE I figure that going to happen. I've found that I need to wait if the machine comes back. It often does.

Jeff
Building the Augsburg & Concord RR

My Dad updated my computer to 8.1 (I wasn't really happy with him doing it), and I have not seen any problems with Trainz since the update.

I am using TS10 on Windows 8.1. The game performs great. CM however.... It freezes, crashes, EDR's at least once a day....

I am using TS10 on Windows 8.1. The game performs great. CM however.... It freezes, crashes, EDR's at least once a day....

Yeah me too... I'm tired of this s ****! CM crashes way to often since I've upgraded to Windows 8. Nothing is more frustrating than waiting for an EDR when I'm in the middle of working on something! Pain in the arse!

Last edited:
Not exactly surprising. If I remember correctly, TS2010 was released before Windows 8 so you may have to get TS12 for the Win8 compatibility side.

Shane

Last edited:
I discovered something recently which I posted on a related thread...

Run Trainz TS2010 or TS12 in Windows 7 compatibility mode under Windows 8.x by using the compatibility options in the properties. After doing that I have not had any more crashes (knocking on head as I say this) or errors in the Event Viewer related to memory protection problems.

John

I run Windows 8.1 without any issue whatsoever

It's maybe because I use a server as a desktop computer

Also because I have a lot of RAM

I too find windows 8.1 to be a pain in the arse, but if you tiptoe Around CM and stop everything when CM starts to freeze up on you, it will eventually come back to life, but if it greys out on you while your clicking the brains out of the mouse, then forget it.

I too find windows 8.1 to be a pain in the arse, but if you tiptoe Around CM and stop everything when CM starts to freeze up on you, it will eventually come back to life, but if it greys out on you while your clicking the brains out of the mouse, then forget it.

Thats a valid point Jonathan. Now I feel like I have to treat CM with the utmost caution. I'm walking on eggshells using it. Sometimes I have two windows of it open when I'm working. Committing, cloning, open for edit, etc. Rarely did it ever crash with Vista but now I have to treat it like a frail old man and it still doesn't perform.

Thats a valid point Jonathan. Now I feel like I have to treat CM with the utmost caution. I'm walking on eggshells using it. Sometimes I have two windows of it open when I'm working. Committing, cloning, open for edit, etc. Rarely did it ever crash with Vista but now I have to treat it like a frail old man and it still doesn't perform.

I too walk on eggshells with it too. Try the Windows 7 compatibility setting and see if that helps. This may have to do with the higher security in Windows 8.x compared to Windows Vista and even Windows 7.

John

I too walk on eggshells with it too. Try the Windows 7 compatibility setting and see if that helps. This may have to do with the higher security in Windows 8.x compared to Windows Vista and even Windows 7.

John

Windows 7 compatibility setting? Tell me more. I haven't heard of that.

Back