will trainz run on this ?

n9mfk9

hi all,
will tranz 12 run on this?
here are the spec for my pc

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.72 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.47 GB

here are video card spec
Name NVIDIA GeForce 9100
Adapter Type GeForce 9100, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 9100
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 8.16.11.8780
INF File oem77.inf (Section002 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

thanks Beau

The GPU is kind of weak. You can get a $20-$30 card that would run Trainz better. In fact, you can get a very good card for about or a bit more if you are willing to do rebates and if your power supply can handle it.

What is the wattage of your power supply? If you have an OEM/pre-built machine, it should be in the specs. Alternatively, it should be on the power supply, usually inside the case. If you have a listing of voltages and corresponding amperages on a white label, that's a plus. The reason I ask is because if you do have an OEM system, or even one built from a barebones kit, those usually use the minimum-powered supplies the seller can get away with.

That said, without knowing your power supply wattage, I would say an nVidia GT210 is a very "safe" bet because of it's low power consumption. With your current configuration, I'd expect about 20-25 FPS on most routes with the game dipping down to 5 in some bad areas with a GT210.

Edit: I think the ATI HD5450 is about the same in performance and power consumption as the GTS210, maybe using a bit less power. They're around the same price as the GT210 last time I checked.

Last edited:
I am running a GT220 for the next day or two when I will be installing the GT550 Santa is bringing. Forget the 210. I may be pushing my 350 watt supply a little with the 550 but a GT450 should be fine and hardly use more power than my GT220 but is certainly faster.

A GTS450 uses more than three times the power of a 210 and five times that of a HD5450. It's a much better card, but if your power supply can't handle it, or if it's of questionable quality (many PSUs will only deliver a fraction of their rated power under sustained load) then that GPU could trash the rest of your system - often very slowly.

Hi n9mfk9,

Have you figured out the power out capability of your power supply, preferably in Watts?
Back to ME. I still suspect I could get away running my new, yet to be installed Asus GTX550 Ti video card with my 350 Watt supply but, thanks to RRSignal and a Best Buy gift card, I got a Corsair GS600 (600 Watt) supply that I will install first so I will not be worrying about it.;) :wave:

Hi n9mfk9,

Have you figured out the power out capability of your power supply, preferably in Watts?
Back to ME. I still suspect I could get away running my new, yet to be installed Asus GTX550 Ti video card with my 350 Watt supply but, thanks to RRSignal and a Best Buy gift card, I got a Corsair GS600 (600 Watt) supply that I will install first so I will not be worrying about it.;) :wave:

Smart move with the power supply, 350 watts really would not be wise.

Back